PDA

View Full Version : O/T....Go Taney....Little League World Series

tedzan
08-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Here in Pennsylvania we have an exciting new team to root for (since the Phillies have fizzled out). The Taney Dragons (Taney Youth Baseball
Association from Philadelphia) are in the final round of the Little League World Series.

Last night in Williamsport, Taney rallied from behind to beat the Texas team and advance to the final round.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/1939pcWilliamsportPAx50x.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/1939pcWilliamsportPAx50b.jpg

TED Z

vthobby
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Ted,

I share your enthusiasm for the Series. My son made the Vermont All-Star team last year (his last year of eligibility) and they went to Bristol CT for the Regionals. No VT team has ever made it to Williamsport but his team was only 1 game away!!!!! They lost to RI in the semis and it was so close!

I think I was more stressed than the kids! :o

I love watching the Series on TV. The kids have so much heart and they play the old fashioned way. Small ball at its best! Literally!

Good luck to Philly PA. I can't wait for Mo'ne's next start! Tuesday I think?

Take care, mike:)

tedzan
08-18-2014, 09:50 AM
These kids are exciting to watch. It's a great treat to see them play, since I've lost interest in the Phillies this season.

However, ESPN -2 last nite switched away from this game in the 6th inning to show car racing. At that point in the game, Taney was losing.

Hey, I love NASCAR, too....but, this was a despicable switch by ESPN.

Fortunately, a local AM radio station had the game on, and we listened to Taney's comeback in the late innings to win the game.

TED Z

Mark
08-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Good luck to Taney, they are surely an exciting team. I wouldn't mind if they won it all, but I will be pulling for Nevada's Mountain Ridge. Last month, my son's team lost to them in the Nevada state championship, and I can verify that the Mt. Ridge team is stacked.

tschock
08-18-2014, 09:54 AM
These kids are exciting to watch. It's a great treat to see them play, since I've lost interest in the Phillies this season.

However, ESPN -2 last nite switched away from this game in the 6th inning to show car racing. At that point in the game, Taney was losing.

Hey, I love NASCAR, too....but, this was a despicable switch by ESPN.

Fortunately, a local AM radio station had the game on, and we listened to Taney's comeback in the late innings to win the game.

TED Z

Was it an ESPN-2 Heidi moment?

iwantitiwinit
08-18-2014, 10:05 AM
That game last night was super exciting. Many times looks can be deceiving, some of the smallest players really come through in the clutch. While the fielding doesn't really surprise me the swings on many of the kids are virtually perfect. A lot of fun.

vthobby
08-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Guys,

I agree, that was not cool. At some point I thought they would realize their "mistake" and go back to the game! UGH!

Sorry but I could not resist adding a few photos of my son's All-Star journey to Bristol. An incredible journey indeed!;) , peace, mike

PS That rounding third shot looked familiar to me so I found the Cobb photo it reminded me of!

t206hound
08-18-2014, 10:13 AM
These kids are exciting to watch. It's a great treat to see them play,TED Z

I'll second that, Ted. Amazing to see these kids play. The Mo'ne Davis phenomenon has been awesome as well. We had a girl on our 11U summer team and she was the real deal... she could throw gas and hit the cover off the ball. Happy to see this on the big stage in the LLWS.

BengoughingForAwhile
08-18-2014, 10:35 AM
I stopped watching the Little League World Series after the Danny Almonte scandal. :)

Mark
08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Well, if we're going to post pictures, here is one of my son, whose era at the state championship was under 2 over 4 games.

vthobby
08-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Mark,

Nice shot, my photos were taken by professionals (not me!):cool:, did you take that yourself?

mike

vthobby
08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Deleted

Mark
08-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Mark,

Nice shot, my photos were taken by professionals (not me!):cool:, did you take that yourself?

mike

same deal. I was too busy pacing around to take any good photos.

tedzan
08-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Was it an ESPN-2 Heidi moment?

Last nite's ESPN's "switcheroni" was 1000 times worse than CBS's "Heidi moment"..........which, if I recall correctly happened to Dan Rather.
Cry-baby Rather had a tantrum over the Heidi TV movie cutting short his phony news broadcast.

It also, happened to Rather on another occasion when the U.S. Tennis Open cut into his time slot.

Speaking about Tennis....ESPN will be televising this month's U.S. Tennis Open. I'm expecting ESPN to repeat their "switcheroni" BS during
this sporting event.

TED Z

BengoughingForAwhile
08-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Last nite's ESPN's "switcheroni" was 1000 times worse than CBS's "Heidi moment"..........which, if I recall correctly happened to Dan Rather.
Cry-baby Rather had a tantrum over the Heidi TV movie cutting short his phony news broadcast.

It also, happened to Rather on another occasion when the U.S. Tennis Open cut into his time slot.

Speaking about Tennis....ESPN will be televising this month's U.S. Tennis Open. I'm expecting ESPN to repeat their "switcheroni" BS during
this sporting event.

TED Z

The Heidi Game, or Bowl was the football game played between the Jets and Raiders in 1968. The Jets were leading late in the game when NBC decided to switch to their movie for the night, "Heidi". The Raiders ended up scoring a couple of touchdowns late to win the game.

vthobby
08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
same deal. I was too busy pacing around to take any good photos.

Too funny Mark, I know all to well about pacing. I was wearing a white bball cap in Bristol and my wife told me I walked (paced) around the entire fence about 10 times during the game. I asked her how she knew that and she said she could see my white hat going all around the field during the game!:confused:

It was a blast! Take care, mike

tedzan
08-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanx Charlie for setting the scenario correctly.

What occurred last nite on ESPN was such an atrocious act of disregard by a broadcasting network for the viewing public, as I have ever seen.

It was the 6th inning, Texas was leading 6-4, but Taney was in the process of starting a rally when ESPN switched over to some car racing event.

TED Z

tschock
08-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Guys,

I agree, that was not cool. At some point I thought they would realize their "mistake" and go back to the game! UGH!

Sorry but I could not resist adding a few photos of my son's All-Star journey to Bristol. An incredible journey indeed!;) , peace, mike

PS That rounding third shot looked familiar to me so I found the Cobb photo it reminded me of!

Great shot rounding third (and heading for home). Love also the ump who is watching to make sure he touches the bag. :)

HalChaseCollector
08-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Can't wait for Mo'ne pitch again!

vthobby
08-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Great shot rounding third (and heading for home). Love also the ump who is watching to make sure he touches the bag. :)

Taylor,

That photo was taken a year ago and I NEVER even noticed the ump in the photo! All I saw was my son rounding third! Too cool! Take care,

Mik:)

PS This was their team photo before leaving Vermont. It was done for FREE by a local photo studio and they gave each player a FREE 12x14 print also! I call it the "gunslinger" photo as it reminds me of the old west. :cool: My son is second from the left.

Mark
08-20-2014, 05:31 PM
They're expecting 35,000 to attend tonight's game. Wow.

bn2cardz
08-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Received a copy of the SI today with Mo'ne on the front. Nice little article about the Taney team.