PDA

View Full Version : Is this what a PSA 2.5 Mantle looks like?

Jetsfan
08-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Been out of the hobby a while, but went to the national and submitted some of my cards from when I collected in the 80s. Just got back my 56 Mantle and it came back PSA 2.5. While I know there's a stain on the back, is this the correct grade in your opinion? When I look at the 2.5s on ebay, this one seems to look good in comparison. Curious for your thoughts. Thanks!

Jetsfan
08-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Oops...here's the back

pawpawdiv9
08-15-2014, 04:26 PM
VG 3: Very Good
A PSA VG 3 card reveals some rounding of the corners, though not extreme. Some surface wear will be apparent, along with possible light scuffing or light scratches. Focus may be somewhat off-register and edges may exhibit noticeable wear. Much, but not all, of the card's original gloss will be lost. Borders may be somewhat yellowed and/or discolored. A crease may be visible. Printing defects are possible. Slight stain may show on obverse and wax staining on reverse may be more prominent. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.
GOOD 2: Good
A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

Half-Point Grades:

Cards that exhibit high-end qualities within each particular grade, between PSA Good 2 and PSA Mint 9, may achieve a half-point increase. While PSA graders will evaluate all of the attributes possessed by a card in order to determine if the card may be eligible, there will be a clear focus on centering.

Generally speaking, a card must exhibit centering that is 5-10% better, at minimum, than the lowest % allowed within a particular grade. It is important to note that there may be cases where the overall strength of the card, such as the quality of the corners and print, will give the card the edge it needs despite the fact that it may exhibit only marginal centering for the grade. This is especially true for cards that find themselves within the bottom half of the PSA 1-10 scale.

Finally, keep in mind that qualifiers will not apply to grades that achieve the half-point increase since, by definition, these cards have to exhibit high-end qualities within the grade in order to warrant consideration. For example, there will not be cards graded PSA NM-MT-Plus 8.5 OC or PSA EX-MT-Plus 6.5 PD since the half-point is reserved for high-end cards within each grade.

At this time, only cards qualify for half-point grades. Coins, pins, tickets and packs will not receive half-point grades.

Jetsfan
08-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your response Chris. I knew that information from the PSA website. What I meant was this seemed to measure up better than what I have seen online for cards with higher grades, and I was wondering if others felt the same. I guess it really doesn't matter, as I have no plans to sell. Had it graded mostly to protect the card and make it easier to sell were I ever to choose to sell. Thanks again.

Bestdj777
08-15-2014, 07:56 PM
The bottom corner is likely the source of it. In the end, it doesn't matter much though. If you keep it, who cares? And, if you go to sell it, there are plenty of people who will buy the card not the holder. So, while it is likely the appropriate grade, it is a very attractive card.

MattyC
08-15-2014, 09:22 PM
That's what my kind of 2.5 looks like! Too many times the holder belies the beauty of the card inside. Sometimes you can just throw the technical grade out the window-- and your fellow collectors who focus on the card will know it is better than many in higher-graded holders.

GasHouseGang
08-15-2014, 10:03 PM
I would guess that the staining on the back is what lowered the grade to the level the card was graded. There appears to be some areas of water spots along with the wax pack staining. The front looks great. It looks much better than you are ever likely to see on a card with that grade. I know it doesn't seem fair, but it happens.

pawpawdiv9
08-16-2014, 08:16 AM
You could re-submit it and go for a qualifer (ST) for stain..it might pop a grade or so higher. But i agree with the others, the front look good and centered good.

Jetsfan
08-16-2014, 09:08 AM
I didn't know submitting with a qualifier was an option. I had assumed that was something PSA decided to place as a notation. Thanks for the advice.