PDA

View Full Version : My Return To Pigskin

blackandgold
08-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi all.
I have been a member here for a while, but mostly for the vintage baseball posts. When I was a kid in the early 70's I collected football as well. In the late 70's, my dad took an interest in football cards, so I gave him my collection. Well, in the years after, he accumulated a lot of cards from the 50's thru the 70's, since those were the players he knew.
Well, about 18 years ago, he suffered a severe stroke, which affected his mind and his mobility. He has no interest in sports, and that's rough for me because he's the reason I love baseball and football in the first place.
Anyway, recently my mom mentioned his cards and told me to take them since it was a waste to just have them sitting in the closet. So, I brought them home, about 4 binders full. I went through them the other day, and seeing them again brought back tons of memories.
So now I will be visiting the football forum, and hopefully I will have something to add. I want to scan some of his better cards and post them here for others to enjoy.
I really enjoyed the Post cereal card discussion, and that may be something I take a crack at.
Take care and I look forward to talking football and cards with you !

tuckr1
08-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Great post and welcome, a bunch of great guys in this forum!!! Very helpful

Tucker

jefferyepayne
08-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Welcome! And a double welcome since you're a Pirates fan. Go Bucs!

jeff

TanksAndSpartans
08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Welcome back! Steelers fan too?

John

blackandgold
08-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks Tucker and Jeff ! And yes John, lifelong fan of the Steelers.

oddball
08-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and welcome back to the football side of the hobby!

Myachelydra
08-15-2014, 06:03 AM
Thanks Tucker and Jeff ! And yes John, lifelong fan of the Steelers.

Can never have enough Steelers fans! I am going to the Steelers - Bills game tomorrow.

The focus of my collection is vintage Steelers and Pirates as well.

blackandgold
08-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Can never have enough Steelers fans! I am going to the Steelers - Bills game tomorrow.

The focus of my collection is vintage Steelers and Pirates as well.

Hope you have a great time at the game and the Steelers do well.

How far back do you collect ? I just got the Dick Stuart "Home Run Derby" card from a member here a couple weeks back.

Ty - Thanks, and I love Kelly's Heroes !