PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Topps Gene Bakep - Help

Gr8Beldini
08-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Can anyone confirm if this is the "Gene Bakep" variation from the 1957 Topps set? Thank you in advance.

Koufax32fan
08-12-2014, 08:13 PM
I have been tempted to buy one of these for awhile to "finish" my 57 set, but every time I look at one I can't figure out if it is the real variation. If you search "Gene Bakep" on ebay you will see about 5 that have scans of the backs. Not all of them look alike. If I were to buy one of these I would buy one that is slabbed if only for the extra comfort and potential resale value. Do you have the card in hand? Any evidence of the R being altered?

mintacular
08-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Not an expert, I've owed 2 authenticated ones and these had the whole stem on the r covered with red and so it looked like a "p" but this one doesn't have nearly as much...so i'm leaning no

savedfrommyspokes
08-13-2014, 06:05 AM
This 57 "Bakep" variation appears to be similar to the "green in ball" variation that appears on the back of the 61 Fairly as there are multiple variations of this variation.

Here is my copy of the "Bakep" card ....very similar to the copy the OP posted. My copy has a slightly different last letter "E" in the name "Eugene", and a little less amount of red in the ball (containing the card #).

Gr8Beldini
08-13-2014, 07:10 PM
I found this one verified as the Bakep variation by PSA. Looks like the same one as the one I posted.

ALR-bishop
08-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I agree with Saved. It is a recurring and varying print defect. Same is true of 58 Herrer.

glynparson
08-13-2014, 08:41 PM
All of mine have part of the final E in his first name partially obscured. This looks like the beginning of the variation coming into its most recognizable version. Sort of like alot of the Herrera's out there with a faint a.