PDA

View Full Version : OT-Robin Williams - Dead

wolf441
08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
I know, probably not the place for this post, but RIP to an incredible comedian who kept my spirits up all these years....

tennisguy
08-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Very sad! He will be missed!

E93
08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Sad day!
JimB

39special
08-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Wow.That is sad to hear.I just read its a possible suicide.

tennisguy
08-11-2014, 05:50 PM
I didn't realize he was battling depression?

HalChaseCollector
08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Very sad, he was a legend

08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Horrible news!

gregr2
08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Very sad.

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
One of the worst days of my life. This guy was absolutely one of the best ever, Mrs. Doubtfire is still one of my best films of all time....What a shame...

rdwyer
08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
nanu nanu. RIP Robin.

majordanby
08-11-2014, 06:53 PM
that is terrible news. two of my favorite actors dead within a year - hoffman and now williams. terrible.

ksabet
08-11-2014, 06:55 PM
As funny as he was, he was also a brilliant actor highlighted in Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet's Society. Not failing to mention how much he brought Peter Pan to life in Hook!

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
that is terrible news. two of my favorite actors dead within a year - hoffman and now williams. terrible.

+1...I agree, and then you add Larry Hagman (DALLAS) from not long ago...Very, very sad. 3 of my favorites gone in a flash....

ksabet
08-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Kevin not to make light but I think even Robin Williams would chuckle that you lumped Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Williams and...Larry Hagman?! in the same category.

Two Oscar winners and a ten gallon hat.

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=ksabet;1309042]Kevin not to make light but I think even Robin Williams would chuckle that you lumped Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Williams and...Larry Hagman?! in the same category.

Two Oscar winners and a ten gallon hat.[/QUOTE

Wonder what the most watched TV series was between 1978-1991? just curious....

Big Ben
08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I couldn't believe the news when I first heard about it this afternoon. So sad!

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Kevin not to make light but I think even Robin Williams would chuckle that you lumped Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Williams and...Larry Hagman?! in the same category.

Two Oscar winners and a ten gallon hat.

Are you an idiot or what? I was simply pointing out the fact that 3 of the all time best acting personalities were gone...I wasn't just talking about comedy...

ksabet
08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Are you an idiot or what? I was simply pointing out the fact that 3 of the all time best acting personalities were gone...I wasn't just talking about comedy...

Take it easy there big guy. I know your all broken up about it "Worst day of your life" and all but no need for name calling.

I was just pointing out that Hagman was in a different category plus he died two years ago.

I know Let's reminisce about Lincoln, Kennedy and...Taft.

Or Ruth, Gehrig and...Virgil Trucks.

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Take it easy there big guy. I know your all broken up about it "Worst day of your life" and all but no need for name calling.

I was just pointing out that Hagman was in a different category plus he died two years ago.

I know Let's reminisce about Lincoln, Kennedy and...Taft.

Or Ruth, Gehrig and...Virgil Trucks.

You really are as stupid as I thought....

CTrux
08-11-2014, 08:01 PM

Agreed.

Eric72
08-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Along with Robin Williams, let us also mourn the passing of Ralph Kiner and Tony Gwynn. For that matter, Hoffman and Hagman, too.

Many greats have stopped raging against the dying of the light recently. May they all rest in peace.

Best regards,

Eric

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Along with Robin Williams, let us also mourn the passing of Ralph Kiner and Tony Gwynn. For that matter, Hoffman and Hagman, too.

Many greats have stopped raging against the dying of the light recently. May they all rest in peace.

Best regards,

Eric

Eric, You're right, well said...

deadballfreaK
08-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I was having a really good day until I saw this news. Then I am crying. It would have been bad if it was a heart attack or a car wreck. But hard to think he could come to suicide when so many millions loved him. His brain operated on a faster and different wavelength than the rest of us for sure.

CMIZ5290
08-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Was not trying to start anything, no offense intended. These guys were just some of my favorites....

ZachS
08-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I was just telling my wife that I've never really cared about a celebrity death... until today.:(

calvindog
08-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I never found him funny at all. Not once.

ksabet
08-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Was not trying to start anything, no offense intended. These guys were just some of my favorites....

Apologies if I was insensitive. I was just trying to be humorous. Probably not the best thread for that.

Fripples
08-11-2014, 08:40 PM
"One of the worst days of my life." Seriously? On your deathbed when you're taking stock of the worst days of your life, this day that Robin Williams died will be one of them? Dude...

Peter_Spaeth
08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Some of his very early material was can't stop laughing funny. He had one routine where he was making fun of racial stereotypes, or maybe even making fun of people making fun of racial sterotypes, one part of it was something like Leroy's Funkified Badass School of Soul, it was just so off the wall and insane that you couldn't stop laughing.

calvindog
08-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Some of his very early material was can't stop laughing funny. He had one routine where he was making fun of racial stereotypes, or maybe even making fun of people making fun of racial sterotypes, one part of it was something like Leroy's Funkified Badass School of Soul, it was just so off the wall and insane that you couldn't stop laughing.

Um. Na-nu, na-nu.

Eric72
08-11-2014, 09:10 PM
I never found him funny at all. Not once.

Jeff,

Why dismiss his entire body of work on the day of his passing? Just curious.

Best regards,

Eric

Iron Horse
08-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Great person and a huge talent. Will be greatly missed
RIP

calvindog
08-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Jeff,

Why dismiss his entire body of work on the day of his passing? Just curious.

Best regards,

Eric

He's a public figure and I am pretty certain his family isn't reading this. Just because I think he was unfunny does not mean I am making light of his suicide.

Fripples
08-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Everyone realizes that he killed himself, correct? He didn't just *die.* Like he would have woken up tomorrow, heart beating normally, all bodily functions working, not blind, not deaf, all his limbs attached, etc., had he not killed himself. No one seems to think that's a bit, oh I dunno...SELFISH?

calvindog
08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Everyone realizes that he killed himself, correct? He didn't just *die.* Like he would have woken up tomorrow, heart beating normally, all bodily functions working, not blind, not deaf, all his limbs attached, etc., had he not killed himself. No one seems to think that's a bit, oh I dunno...SELFISH?

Well, he was battling depression.

08-11-2014, 09:21 PM
This thread has taken a very ugly turn.

Eric72
08-11-2014, 09:24 PM
He's a public figure and I am pretty certain his family isn't reading this. Just because I think he was unfunny does not mean I am making light of his suicide.

Jeff,

I never thought (nor did I say) that you were making light of anything.

As for his family reading this, it is the Internet. Chances are good that they will eventually see this thread...someone close to them will send a link.

Nothing personal here...I simply believe that there is a time and place for everything. And this thread might not be the best place to air negativity (or a lack of humor found) regarding the recently departed or his work.

Just my two cents. And I do appreciate your reply.

Best regards,

Eric

TNP777
08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Everyone realizes that he killed himself, correct? He didn't just *die.* Like he would have woken up tomorrow, heart beating normally, all bodily functions working, not blind, not deaf, all his limbs attached, etc., had he not killed himself. No one seems to think that's a bit, oh I dunno...SELFISH?My initial reaction was to blast you. I want to call you ignorant (among other things), but it would be presumptuous of me to say that. Maybe it's just that you really don't understand what it feels like to think that you have no hope. That you have no one that you can turn to. That you don't matter.

Williams' death is tragic, at least to me. I don't have a particular emotional attachment to him, but I do know that a tremendously talented, beautiful life was cut short. It hurts to think that he found himself in a place where he felt he had no other option. Believe me, being selfish was the last thing on his mind.

calvindog
08-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Believe me, being selfish was the last thing on his mind.

Can't disagree with that.

Fripples
08-11-2014, 09:31 PM
His life was cut short because he cut it short. Nuff said.

Eric72
08-11-2014, 09:42 PM
His life was cut short because he cut it short. Nuff said.

Fripples,

So were the lives of many people, including some who played in the Major Leagues. Should we mourn their passing or lambast them after they're gone?

Best regards,

Eric

calvindog
08-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Eric, I think maybe Fripples is more concerned about the Yazidis than Robin Williams.

ZachS
08-11-2014, 09:55 PM

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/wmspins/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-104db8.jpg

Either way you show a profound ignorance in regard to depression and suicide.

ethicsprof
08-11-2014, 10:12 PM
sad, indeed.
my condolences to family, friends and fans.

Barry

Fripples
08-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Nahh. The profound ignorance lies in people who wake up every day and focus on the "self." And not the good things about "the self." To be healthy and have all of the talents, blessings, and opportunities in this world (that a majority of will NEVER have) and squander that on alcohol or drugs, is IN MY OPINION, pathetic. Robin Williams was obsessed with his own self-induced inner demons. No one took him to the store and bought him vodka. No one took him to the store and bought him beer, wine, what have you. So, this "profound ignorance" lies in Robin Williams. I'd say that choosing -- key word is CHOOSING -- to drink yourself half to death, when you have limitless opportunities to get help, with a world of support behind you, INCLUDING YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR CHILDREN WHO YOU WILL NEVER SEE HAVE CHILDREN BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SEEM TO CONTROL WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH, I'd say choosing to kill yourself falls under the category of "IGNORANCE." Maybe at the end of his life, his brain was so fried from abusing it, that he was too warped to get help. Having said that, no one did this to him. I'm sure his kids would agree.

TNP777
08-11-2014, 10:17 PM
In late 2012, former Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ryan Freel took his own life. These were my thoughts then. Perhaps they provide context now. As I sit down to write, I've got a bunch of thoughts running through my head. I hope I'm able to articulate properly what I'm processing right now, and I hope I don't ramble too much.

When I read or hear of someone taking their own life, it breaks my heart. I've grieved for friends, I've grieved for strangers, I'm grieving for Ryan Freel. I remember the 16-year-old son of a friend who hung himself with a belt and how I hurt for him and his family for so long. Being a fan of sports in general, I remember feeling so damn sad when I heard about Hireki Irabu and Junior Seau, as they were both close to my age. I think about the pain they had to have been feeling. I wonder who was in their lives that they could have reached out to, or whether they thought they were truly alone.

(redacted) said early on that Freel was a selfish motherXXXXer. While the language was harsh, there was some truth in the statement. From the point of view of those on the outside, it IS selfish. Loved ones are left wondering what they could have done, what they could have said. Maybe they regret the last thing they might have said to that person, thinking it might have tipped them over the edge. Everyone is left dealing with some level of pain and loss. So many things to process, and none of them positive.

Trouble is, the last thing on the mind of someone contemplating suicide is being selfish. It's simply about ending the pain, or ending what they feel is a hopeless situation, or having a sense of complete and utter worthlessness. See, I've been that guy. I was 17 years old when I made the attempt. I thought all of those things specifically, and probably more. I sometimes look back on that kid and sometimes ask myself if things were really so bad. In hindsight, no they weren't, but then I have the benefit of maturity and wisdom to see things far differently now than I saw them then.

I'm so, so thankful that I failed. All my attempt cost me was four days in the hospital; obviously it could have cost me so much more. As a result, I now get to share my story with those that care to listen. Maybe I can be the one that makes a small difference in someone's life. Hopefully I get the opportunity to tell someone that they DO matter, that they ARE loved, and their life is changed because of my experience.

There are those here that have no sympathy for folks who are suicidal, or have committed suicide. C'mon, nothing could be THAT bad. Sack up and stop being so weak - everyone has problems, after all. Me, I can't be so quick to judge. I may have been an immature kid, but I've done a little walking in those shoes. It's not so cut & dried. The pain is real, and the desire to just end it is often too hard to deny.

Kenny Cole
08-11-2014, 11:19 PM
I am saddened by this loss. It happens all too often with people who are bipolar, which is a particular concern of mine since my oldest son is bipolar. I will say that I don't believe that "selfishness" had anything to do with what occurred and that in my opinion, those who believe differently either have no experience with those who are mentally ill, are mentally ill themselves, or are simply wholly lacking in empathy. If it is one of the first two, I feel sorry for you and hope that you get the treatment or education you need. If it is the third, fu@k you. Best,

Kenny Cole

drazz5
08-11-2014, 11:56 PM
"One of the worst days of my life." Seriously? On your deathbed when you're taking stock of the worst days of your life, this day that Robin Williams died will be one of them? Dude...

agreed. either your life is no where near difficult, or you should really revaluate your priorities.

the 'stache
08-12-2014, 12:36 AM
I am terribly sad tonight. When I picked up my phone this evening, and saw my friend's Facebook update on his tile, which simply said "RIP Robin Williams", I couldn't believe it. I felt sick.

Robin was a gifted comedian, and a tremendous dramatic actor. I have Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting and the Birdcage all perma saved on my DVR. I grew up watching Mork & Mindy. One of the first movies I saw in the theater was his Popeye, which I went to see with my dad. Robin Williams could do no wrong in my eyes. I never thought he was perfect, but I always felt that he cared. There was something so genuine about him. And when I would look at him, there was a kindness in his face that was unmistakable.

I'm not going to direct my comments at anybody in particular. But I will say that unless a person has ever suffered from depression, they cannot possibly understand how terrible it is, and how overpowering it can be. Robin may have taken his own life, but I do not think he was being selfish at all. That's ignorant. A person commits suicide because they are in pain. Emotional pain, or physical pain, or both. Whatever the source of the pain, it can wear you down to the point where you just want it to stop, and you will do whatever it takes to make it stop. There have been so many times through my life when his humor has lifted me up when I really needed it. And I am saddened that there was nobody who could lift him up. Nobody that could convince him it was going to be ok, that no matter how bad it was, there were people who loved him, people that would go through whatever happened with him.

I was reminded tonight of a story involving Christopher Reeve, who was a close friend of Robin's. When Christopher had his equestrian accident, he needed surgery to reattach his skull to his spinal cord. There was a 50/50 chance he would survive the procedure. Christopher, even though his wife was at his side, even though people were sending their support, he was afraid, and despondent. Well, Christopher was in the operating room being prepared for surgery when a man wearing scrubs burst through the door, a mask covering most of his face. The man was loud, and animated, and spoke with a Russian accent. The man headed Christopher's way. H said he was a proctologist, and he'd been called in to do a rectal exam on Superman. The man pulled his mask down, and it was Robin Williams. Reeve said that was the first time he laughed after his accident, and it helped him find the courage to go on.

That is how I'll always remember Robin. Always looking to help people, and lift their spirits. I am saddened that at the end, nobody was able to lift his. But that's depression, and sometimes, there's just nothing that can be done.

All I know is that the world is a little darker tonight without Robin Williams. I hope he is able to find peace.

clydepepper
08-12-2014, 12:47 AM
I am terribly sad tonight. When I picked up my phone this evening, and saw my friend's Facebook update on his tile, which simply said "RIP Robin Williams", I couldn't believe it. I felt sick.

Robin was a gifted comedian, and a tremendous dramatic actor. I have Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting and the Birdcage all perma saved on my DVR. I grew up watching Mork & Mindy. One of the first movies I saw in the theater was his Popeye, which I went to see with my dad. Robin Williams could do no wrong in my eyes. I never thought he was perfect, but I always felt that he cared. There was something so genuine about him. And when I would look at him, there was a kindness in his face that was unmistakable.

I'm not going to direct my comments at anybody in particular. But I will say that unless a person has ever suffered from depression, they cannot possibly understand how terrible it is, and how overpowering it can be. Robin may have taken his own life, but I do not think he was being selfish at all. That's ignorant. A person commits suicide because they are in pain. Emotional pain, or physical pain, or both. Whatever the source of the pain, it can wear you down to the point where you just want it to stop, and you will do whatever it takes to make it stop. There have been so many times through my life when his humor has lifted me up when I really needed it. And I am saddened that there was nobody who could lift him up. Nobody that could convince him it was going to be ok, that no matter how bad it was, there were people who loved him, people that would go through whatever happened with him.

I was reminded tonight of a story involving Christopher Reeve, who was a close friend of Robin's. When Christopher had his equestrian accident, he needed surgery to reattach his skull to his spinal cord. There was a 50/50 chance he would survive the procedure. Christopher, even though his wife was at his side, even though people were sending their support, he was afraid, and despondent. Well, Christopher was in the operating room being prepared for surgery when a man wearing scrubs burst through the door, a mask covering most of his face. The man was loud, and animated, and spoke with a Russian accent. The man headed Christopher's way. H said he was a proctologist, and he'd been called in to do a rectal exam on Superman. The man pulled his mask down, and it was Robin Williams. Reeve said that was the first time he laughed after his accident, and it helped him find the courage to go on.

That is how I'll always remember Robin. Always looking to help people, and lift their spirits. I am saddened that at the end, nobody was able to lift his. But that's depression, and sometimes, there's just nothing that can be done.

All I know is that the world is a little darker tonight without Robin Williams. I hope he is able to find peace.

Well said, Bill.

I recommend his movie 'Jack' - if you haven't seen it, do so.

ZenPop
08-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Nahh. The profound ignorance lies in people who wake up every day and focus on the "self." And not the good things about "the self." To be healthy and have all of the talents, blessings, and opportunities in this world (that a majority of will NEVER have) and squander that on alcohol or drugs, is IN MY OPINION, pathetic. Robin Williams was obsessed with his own self-induced inner demons. No one took him to the store and bought him vodka. No one took him to the store and bought him beer, wine, what have you. So, this "profound ignorance" lies in Robin Williams. I'd say that choosing -- key word is CHOOSING -- to drink yourself half to death, when you have limitless opportunities to get help, with a world of support behind you, INCLUDING YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR CHILDREN WHO YOU WILL NEVER SEE HAVE CHILDREN BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SEEM TO CONTROL WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH, I'd say choosing to kill yourself falls under the category of "IGNORANCE." Maybe at the end of his life, his brain was so fried from abusing it, that he was too warped to get help. Having said that, no one did this to him. I'm sure his kids would agree.

EMPATHY FACTOR: ZERO

pathetic and sad all at once.

Sean1125
08-12-2014, 03:45 AM
Sad news

barrysloate
08-12-2014, 05:12 AM
My favorite Robin Williams movie was The World According to Garp. It's often difficult to adapt a great novel and make an equally good film. In this case it worked.

And Williams had a drug and alcohol addiction, which is a disease. No matter how much rehab you do, it's always there. You just try to learn how to deal with it. Suicide is a terrible thing and I can't imagine how much he was suffering. Apparently, a great deal. I wasn't a huge fan of his frenetic humor, but I thought he was an excellent actor.

emmygirl
08-12-2014, 05:25 AM
This is really sad news. My favorite RW movie was Patch Adams. Funny, sensitive, and an avenue of hope for children in aweful situations. Robin will be missed by the millions of fans that loved him. RIP

packs
08-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Truly sad news. I loved his movies while I was growing up. As funny as he was, there was something profoundly sad about him too. All that pressure to be "on" all the time. I wonder what he was like when the lights were off.

I don't see why anyone would take this opportunity to blame Robin Williams for being depressed. We've all been depressed. It's not something you choose and being an addict is not something you choose either. Money does not make a person happy. Neither does fame or talent. We make ourselves happy. Some of us are fortunate enough to be/stay happy. But that is not the case for everyone.

Some posters should think about that before making insensitive posts. My uncle committed suicide earlier this year. I don't know what he was going through, but neither does anyone else. So it really does nothing to compare yourself to them and insinuate you have more self control / are a better person.

mark evans
08-12-2014, 08:16 AM
A sad end to the life of a talented guy.

Peter_Spaeth
08-12-2014, 08:59 AM
I am reminded of Smokey Robinson's great lines about the tears of a clown/when no one's around. And of Edward Arlington Robinson's poem Richard Cory, a man who had everything, who "glittered when he walked," but who "one calm summer night went home and put a bullet through his head."

We cannot understand this any more than we can understand the recent decision of the Oregon mother with an apparently perfect life to kill herself. These people's inner lives are simply not visible to the outside world, perhaps even to their loved ones. One can only have empathy.

The Nasty Nati
08-12-2014, 09:29 AM
The Academy tweet this last night.

griffon512
08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
In late 2012, former Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ryan Freel took his own life. These were my thoughts then. Perhaps they provide context now.
thanks for sharing your story TNP777. that took a huge amount of courage.

the 'stache
08-13-2014, 04:00 AM
The Academy tweet this last night.
http://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156316&stc=1&d=1407857353

:( I'd completely forgotten he did the Genie in Aladdin.
I'd forgotten for a moment anyway that he did Patch Adams.
He did so many wonderful things. He had such a diverse career. He had so much talent. If you didn't like his comedy, you could still respect his ability to act in dramatic roles, because he was a great dramatic actor. But even if you didn't like his comedy, or his acting abilities, you could still like him as a person. He had a kind heart. He cared about people.

I really miss him, guys.

calvindog
08-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Bill, did you personally know him?

clydepepper
08-13-2014, 05:05 AM
I miss Robin too. Doctor Drew was talking the other night about how Robin had had open-heart surgery and how much depression follows that type of traumatic experience. I think he also missed his mentor, Jonathan Winters.

Here is a great Tonight Show clip with both Robin and Jonathan...bless them for what they have shared and left with us.

Always wanting more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEKvk9F4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJjq0Pd0RM

packs
08-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Bill, did you personally know him?

I did not personally know him but I will convey a story to you and then you can decide if it's still uncool to think he was kind and caring.

Yesterday a friend of mine told me a story about a friend of his who was waiting in line years ago to get his bike fixed (which he needed for work.) Robin was waiting behind him. When said friend returned the next day to pick it up, there was a brand new bike waiting for him. Robin had overheard the conversation about all the problems he was having with his bike, and bought him a new one so he could "work without worry."

Comiskey
08-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Robin did a lot for the troops. He didn't have to, he wanted to make them laugh. He will be missed, and yes, he made me laugh a lot.

RIP Robin

Jeff

Leon
08-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Robin was not only a great comedian and actor he was truly a great person. I watched a tv clip yesterday of a time when he hired a plane so he could visit a teenager dying of cancer, in Texas, as one of her final requests. No one knew about it and it never came out in the news. He just sat with her for hours and played a card game she knew. (She won). She passed away a few weeks later. Her father told the story and showed a few pictures. To me, that is what a great person does. As was mentioned he also did a ton for our military. He was known as the Bob Hope of this generation. Personally I thought he was very funny too. RIP Robin.

Runscott
08-13-2014, 10:03 AM
It's great being part of a forum with so many intelligent passionate people who share interest in the same hobby. But it's good to remember where our areas of knowledge lie - I would be an idiot to get involved in a discussion about lawyering, and subjects like politics and religion get touchy. Mental illness involves a little of both areas where it would behoove us to be careful about what we say, or we are often going to sound like uncaring morons. Mental illness affects almost everyone in some way, but there are a few here who still obviously think they are immune.

Clinical depression is another form of mental illness, meaning that comments about Williams being selfish and not controlling himself, are as ignorant as using words like 'bipolar' or 'schizophrenic' to describe people who you disagree with in forum arguments. I guarantee you there are people on this forum who have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia AND clinical depression - some of these people are people who some of you have a great deal of respect for, and who you are unwittingly offending at times.

There are such things as situational depression, but that's not what Williams had. Clinical depression is usually 'there' for a long time - before the addictions start;in fact, the addictions are often a 'self-medicating' form of treatment. Obviously a bad choice, but it's common. If anything, Williams should be applauded for maintaining the good parts of himself, and for his amazing coping skills - not the bad choices of drugs and alcohol, but his work ethic. He worked non-stop, as a way to battle depression.