PDA

View Full Version : If card in PSA or SGC slab, what is risk of fraud?

Jetsfan
08-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Hi,
Getting back into the hobby after a long absence. As I mentioned in a prior post on another topic, I left before because I got burned buying a few cards that were trimmed (before PSA and the like were big).

My question is this : I'd really like to buy a 1933 Goudey Gehrig (approx PSA 2-4). If I buy one in a PSA or SGC slab, what are my chances of buying a fake or trimmed card?

Thanks! By the way, as someone who is recently back in the hobby, one of the biggest differences I can see (went to the National) is what "mint" means. Seems crazy to me just how perfect a card has to be for mint designation.

Adam

vthobby
08-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Adam,

There is always a risk right? No one is 100% correct all of the time BUT your risk in that grade range is EXTREMELY LOW to non existent. I will let others talk about the risk of that in higher grades. Just ask Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall.

thanks.:rolleyes:

bnorth
08-10-2014, 05:23 PM
After PSA slabbed 2 very obvious counterfeit cards for a friend on 2 separate occasions I have no faith in them at all.

I would however recommend SGC. Your chance of getting a counterfeit or trimmed card in one of their holders is very small.

Rollingstone206
08-10-2014, 05:39 PM

08-10-2014, 06:43 PM
This advice has been given on the board many times, and I agree with it:

If you are unfamiliar with an issue,
1) Buy a few low-grade inexpensive commons,
2) Get to know the issue by studying the look and feel of these cards,
3) Then purchase the big boys in confidence with your newfound knowledge!

bobbvc
08-10-2014, 06:51 PM
My question is this : I'd really like to buy a 1933 Goudey Gehrig (approx PSA 2-4). If I buy one in a PSA or SGC slab, what are my chances of buying a fake or trimmed card?

Thanks!

Adam

More than 0% but less than 10%. Better odds depending on where you get it. Reputable auctions would bring the chances closer to 0% and certainly under 5%.

glchen
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Adam

It's always possible, but fairly slim. However, with both TPG's, if they made a mistake, they will reimburse you the cost of the card if they made an error, so that you have that insurance. (assuming you have not cracked the card out of the slab) If you buy a raw card that you later find to be fake or counterfeit, you almost always cannot go back to the seller for a refund at a later point.

marvymelvin
08-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Not to add more stress to you, but if you have been out of the hobby since before TPG's, there has been the disturbing trend of either fake cards in fake holders, or higher grade legit cards being removed from legit holders and replaced with lesser grade cards.

I agree with other members that education is key, as well as sharing the burden of the need to "know" everything with other members of net54. I have posted many questions, even some that have been posted many many times before, and I always get a good and helpful response.

Don't be shy to post pictures of a potential buy and ask board members for their opinions. I thought I was bothering people with naive questions, but have been treated well here. I decided to join net54 just recently after lurking for years and have not been disappointed. It was the best decision I have made hobby wise. (next to a buying my PSA 2 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle for $3000 raw 3 years ago).

Welcome back.

drcy
08-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Buy low grade cards. There are some nice looking PSA/SGC 1-2s out there. If a PSA1 turns out to to be trimmed in addition to the staining and creasing you already knew about, it's no big deal. May not effect the value one penny.

PSA and SGC are are good about authenticating cards. That's not a concern.

Yes, I know posters can post examples of SGC and PSA misidentifications. I also know Hitler liked dogs and I once wore a sweater inside out to work.