PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into hobby...help on 1915 CJ?

Jetsfan
08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I was an avid collector up until the early 1990s. Got out because I bought some trimmed cards and it really soured me on the hobby (bought from a guy - Fantazia - who I think was sent to jail for this). This was before the graded cards were really big.

Anyway, as the National was a few hour drive from my house, I decided to bring some cards to get graded. One was my 1915 CJ Hal Chase, which I bought in "mint" condition. It graded as a 3.5. Was disappointed, so I showed to a dealer who found a crease when looking at it with a loupe, which I can't really see. He told me I should get it regraded. I'd love some advice. FWIW, I paid $500 for it years ago. Hey...at least it wasn't trimmed. Thanks for your help. By the way, I'm not upset with the dealer...I really don't think he saw the crease either.

tiger8mush
08-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Congrats on the nice Chase. Whether the holder says 1 or 9, its a beaut. I can't comment on regrading it other than to say I think you should save your money on buying more vintage cards, but if you are going to sell it then maybe try on regrading.

Welcome back to the hobby! BTW, the hobby is no cleaner now IMO than it was in the 90s so you still have to do your homework, but this forum is a great place to get other hobbyist opinions.
Rob
:)

Donscards
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
With a crease, I would say u have the highest grade u could get. Card is a beauty though---but those small creases keep the grades down. Cracker Jacks are great looking cards--good luck

Jetsfan
08-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Thank you both. No plans on selling it at this point, so I'll hold off on regrading.

MattyC
08-10-2014, 05:27 PM
The only reason I would get that card reholdered, if it were mine, is if I was about to sell it. The fact is that it is a beautiful card, regardless of the technical assessment. I don't know many collectors who hold and admire their cards with a loupe, and that card is gorgeous from here, as I am sure it is in hand or in a wall display.

In fact from all my conversations with fellow enthusiasts, I am seeing a great amount of collectors who collect and shop for eye appeal. I personally look for cards just like yours-- those rare specimens that look as good but cost a fraction of what a higher grade example costs. Not many "3.5's" exude that kind of look. Congrats on a great card and welcome back to collecting!

deadballfreaK
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
In fact from all my conversations with fellow enthusiasts, I am seeing a great amount of collectors who collect and shop for eye appeal. I personally look for cards just like yours-- those rare specimens that look as good but cost a fraction of what a higher grade example costs. Not many "3.5's" exude that kind of look. Congrats on a great card and welcome back to collecting!

I agree. I recently acquired a T206 Sherry Magee (batting) which is one of my favorite players and poses. PSA2 and dirt cheap. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why it wasn't a 4 or 5. I just turned 60 and my eyes are pathetic, but finally figured out under high magnification that in the very tip of one corner the top layer of paper was missing. About half the size of the head of a pin. I intend to bust it out and put it in my album. I'll sell my present Magee which I'm sure would grade higher technically, but is a tad off center and doesn't look as good as the 2. I'll get a card I like better and probably a few bucks in my pocket.

T206Collector
08-11-2014, 11:14 AM
One was my 1915 CJ Hal Chase, which I bought in "mint" condition. It graded as a 3.5.

I too got soured on the hobby back in the early 90s because of stuff like that. I found SGC and PSA to really help ameliorate that problem for me. Your CJ Chase is a perfect example of why Third Party Grading (TPG) is so important to our hobby, particularly in light of the internet. I would have told you there was a crease or some other hard-to-see flaw in your card, even though it presents so darn well.

People often forget that grading is designed to help see hidden flaws -- not to boil down the eye appeal of a card to a single number between 1 and 10. When you rely too heavily on the number, you lose the aesthetics of the card that probably brought you into the hobby in the first place. My one piece of advice would be to use TPG as a guide, not a crutch, towards getting the kinds of cards you want to buy without the concern that you're missing a hidden defect.

Welcome back!

:D

Luke
08-11-2014, 11:22 AM
The only reason I would get that card reholdered, if it were mine, is if I was about to sell it. The fact is that it is a beautiful card, regardless of the technical assessment. I don't know many collectors who hold and admire their cards with a loupe, and that card is gorgeous from here, as I am sure it is in hand or in a wall display.

I always agree with Matt when it comes to buying lower technical grades with great eye-appeal. This is very well said. That Chase looks amazing, and ultimately, that is why you bought it in the first place.