PDA

View Full Version : T206 F Stamp

Big Ben
08-09-2014, 08:41 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/10/anuhydyv.jpg

Question for the experts out there. Is this the supposed F Scott Fitzgerald back stamp? It looks slightly different than examples I have seen on this forum. Thanks in advance for your input.

Bestdj777
08-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I am not an expert but this does look a little off. It wouldn't surprise me if it is a modern stamp by someone looking for a little premium.

Big Ben
08-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your input. I ran across the listing yesterday. To be fair, the seller lists the item as graded and having a mark with no F Scott Fitzgerald reference mentioned in the description.

CobbSpikedMe
08-11-2014, 07:16 AM
The stamp looks consistent with others I have seen. It's actually more complete than the one I have as an example on my website (link below). If the seller didn't mention F. Scott in the description then I doubt he added the stamp to mislead buyers. I would like to have that example for my own collection to be honest.

Thanks,

AndyH

mrvster
08-11-2014, 09:05 AM
you might have stumbled on a gem;)....if it wasn't listed as such...:confused:.the most seen has been on epdg.....these, I predict will be forged soon, so get them when you can and get them slabbed so they are "time" stamped......

the hobby is split wether these are f. Scotty's or not....I truly believe they are....we are still waiting on the verdict....

Big Ben
08-11-2014, 03:30 PM
you might have stumbled on a gem;)....if it wasn't listed as such...:confused:.the most seen has been on epdg.....these, I predict will be forged soon, so get them when you can and get them slabbed so they are "time" stamped......

the hobby is split wether these are f. Scotty's or not....I truly believe they are....we are still waiting on the verdict....

Thank you to everyone for your input. The card is in a PSA slab and I just purchased it on ebay. I have been looking for a F Scott card for some time but once I saw the card, I wasn't certain! lol
:)

Mountaineer1999
08-11-2014, 03:46 PM
F Scott Fitzgerald had and stamped his own T206 cards?

Jeffrompa
08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Thats why i come to this site . Never know what will show up that is truly amazing .

mrvster
08-11-2014, 09:17 PM
you did great.....I do fear in the future these will be forged tho:(

get em now, and get em slabbed:)

drcy
08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
No insight on the Fitzgerald connection, but, with a microscope, you can identify stamps made from the same rubber stamp. And ones made later from a different rubber stamp. All printing plates, including rubber stamps, have identifying microscopic 'fingerprints'-- unique microscopic imperfections, marks, shapes, etc. It's a standard forensic technique to match prints from the same printing plates. It's how they proved a letter came from a specific typewriter in the old day mysteries.

Chances are you don't even need a microscope to identify a new F stamp. Just a close look.

But I agree that demonstrating that an 'F' stamp has been around for a while is the simplest way to establish the 'F' stamp is one of the originals. Being able to establish that something has been around for a while (a form of provenance) is usually a good thing these days. One use I see for getting a card graded.

And, as mrvister accurately says, you want to document the existence of your F stamps before a flood of forged stamps come out, not after. It can be as simple as posting a photo to photobucket this afternoon.

drazz5
08-13-2014, 01:34 PM
can someone explain the story behind the fitzgerald stamp? ive seen it referenced on here several times, but dont know much background info on it. Thanks

CW
08-13-2014, 01:55 PM
can someone explain the story behind the fitzgerald stamp? ive seen it referenced on here several times, but dont know much background info on it. Thanks

We've had a few threads in the past on it. The only old quote with any type of definitive info (if you want to call it that) is this from JC posted back in 2008:

Here is the story as it was told to me many years ago. In 1941, the daughter of F. Scott Fitzgerald sold all of his personal belongings at auction in Baltimore. Included in the sale was his boyhood baseball card collection consisting of over a thousand cards. The baseball cards were sold as one lot and the winning bidder was Harold Shigley.

Not only did he win the cards, he was also high bidder on his jewelry, typewriters, some of his furniture and many other items. As a child, Fitzgerald had stamped every card on the back with that black "F".

In the 1960s, Shigley traded away the Fitzgerald cards due to their mostly poor condition. I contacted his grandson a while back and he said the only one he kept was a T206 Jack Knight. Obviously, they have made their way into many different collections since then.

Personally, until I see more proof of these being from Fitzgerald's collection or proof of the previously mentioned Baltimore auction, I think it's a stretch to connect this particular "F" stamp to the famed writer. Not enough concrete evidence exists to convince me these were once F. Scott's cards.

A few past threads discussing the stamp, including the last link in which a collector found the stamp on an Obak:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1207542468/F-+Scott+Fitzgerald

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146726

http://ww.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169794

drazz5
08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
thanks much appreciated!

dougscats
03-28-2015, 02:11 PM
I didn't win this card, didn't bid higher because of the apparently trimmed bottom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231511394240?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It looks to be a perfect stamp, maybe too perfect/fresh black ink?

If it's real, I suspect it was a real bargain. Did FScott have trimmed cards in his collection? I know little more about it than what I've read on this and another thread. What does one of these go for, say in untrimmed, Good condition?

I'd like to get one someday.

tiger8mush
03-30-2015, 05:36 AM
I didn't win this card, didn't bid higher because of the apparently trimmed bottom:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but the Fitzgerald "F" looks very similar to the T210-6 Frankfort team "F". Any correlation, or was it just a common stylish "F" font used during that time?