PDA

View Full Version : My 6 Month Mark

shernan30
08-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm bored on a Saturday morning waiting for my wife to finish her 17 mile run. After National last week I'm going through withdraws of spending entire days looking at cards and memorabilia. The best way to solve this is thanking those on the board who have helped with with my collection these past six months. I've spent waaaay to much month, my house has cards in every room, my knowledge has grown greatly in the prewar era, and I've finally focused on what I want my collection to look like in the next few years.

I joined this forum the beginning of the year after returning to the hobby from a 10+ year hiatus. Never owned a prewar card and only knew where half of my childhood 88-98 cards were at (big money in those cards :p).

Started with a 1934 Goudey set until a fellow member OldJudge sold me my first OJ. Now I'm at 26 OJS and counting :eek::eek:. Thanks to the members that sold me these cards, you've kept the bank account at its lowest levels since I was in college :p.

Bought some mixed prewar lots in REA and Lelands to get a feel for some other sets. Some I like, some I didn't. The ones I didn't like have been consigned and sold by Sterling (great to work with).

National has helped tune my collection to get a better mix of prewar and postwar cards. I'm sticking with my Columbus Solon OJs, going to get my hands dirty with a T206 Cincinnati team set (going to get as many different backs as possible without breaking the bank), looking for my first Cracker Jacks for a 1914 & 1915 Yankees team set, 1933 & 1934 Goudey Cleveland Indians team set (minus LaJoie), and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1953 or 1956 Topps complete set (leaning very heavy to the 1956 set thanks to some feedback in the postwar forum).

Okay, now that I've bored you on a Saturday morning enjoy the rest of the day.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me these last 6 months, its been a blast!!

Steven

kamikidEFFL
08-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Steve I got to say I have watched your collection mature very quickly. Its amazing how quick a hobby can change into an addiction. Keep plugging away on your goals. Although, I hope you stay very far away from the 34 Goudeys until I complete my set haha:D. But its fun when you look back and see what you have learned and gathered over a short period of time.

Hopefully in one of these years to come will meet at a national show and have a few good laughs. I myself have been looking to do new things as well. Tough though when you do more than one thing at a time, you end up putting one of them on hold. Anyway, best of luck in the future doings of your set and again stay away from the 34 Goudeys, you've been warned lol. :p

ethicsprof
08-09-2014, 10:04 PM
congrats on quite an impressive 6 months and
on having a wife who can run 17 miles!!
best,
barry