PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Topps set found in NM-M condition what do you think?

marvymelvin
08-09-2014, 03:25 AM
So, I am looking for some advice on what to do with my 1977 Topps football set. I bought a small collection of misc. sports stuff just last week. In addition to the few items I was after the seller through in 6 narrow long card boxes of 1990's basketball and baseball "junk". I was planning to send the junk boxes to goodwill. After checking through the boxes just to make sure and finding nothing I came down to one last box labeled 1977 Topps. I thought if it were basketball or baseball like the rest of the junk it will go to Goodwill as well. I almost didn't look in the box but did so at the last minute and this is what I found. A full set of 1977 Topps football.

The cards must have been bought and then immediately put into a set and boxed, never to be touched again. I took a picture of card number one, as well as the last card, and a Franco Harris from the middle of the bunch (the white dots and what looks to be wear to Franco Harris card is just reflection for the camera and a bit of dust. It is actually very bright and colorful in person) just to show you that it is sharp and fresh all the way through. So back to my dilemma, what do I do with it? Leave it in the box, put it into binders, or maybe work on getting it graded over time? If it were not so nice I wouldn't even contemplate getting it graded, but I am sure there are many that would grade high as the centering, edges, and corner are great.

I also can't seem to find much talk about the 77 set on net54. And not many sales listed. Is it because no one wants this set or because it is tough to find in new condition? Thanks for your help,

Brad

K-Nole
08-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Just my opinion, but if it were me, I would put it in Pages and preserve it in its perfect shape.

I wouldn't grade it as the cost to grade it would be pretty steep.

Another option would be to put them all in Hard plastic single sleeves, but IMO that takes away fro the aesthetics rather then putting them in pages and book.

BTW, the next time you see some Basketball from the 70's, my son would LOVE them. :-)

Footballdude
08-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I don't do graded cards, but if I did I would probably pick the top 5 or so "key" cards or rookies and get them graded if they are nice. It use to be that the Payton 2nd year, and Largent RC were the top cards in the set. The rest I would, like K-Nole states, store in pages for better viewing.

I love the look of the 77's, especially when they are centered nicely.

marvymelvin
08-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think a binder is what's in store for the set. If I decided to sell the set what could I expect for a top grade example?

Jayworld
09-09-2014, 08:42 AM
They seem to be going for $150 and up on eBay lately, depending on condition. The Steve Largent rookie card is the key to the set, and would be worth getting graded if you are leaning that way. A nice set; first football set I tried to put together as a kid, so I have fond memories of that set...going to the neighborhood 7-11 and buying several 25 cent packs when I saved up enough money. Think I fell about 4 cards short.....