PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Stars Print defect questions

keating3620
08-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Some of the cards in the set have horizontal print scratch lines. I have only seen them on the high # cards 97-108(which are a duplicate card for that player in the set).

1. Where in the process where the lines made? Is it from the bottom of a printing plate?

2. Why only the high # cards? Since the front of each players card is the same why would the corresponding players regular card have the same lines?

I have collected the set for about 5 years and cannot find any information.

RGold
08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
If you continue to collect Diamond Stars, I think you will find cards with print line defects for all series. This defect does not appear only on #97-108.

As you are aware, the Diamond Stars set was printed over a three year period, with cards #1-24 printed in 1934. Some of those numbers were reprinted in 1935 and 1936. The same holds true for cards #25-84, printed in 1935 and then some reprinted in 1936.

So the print defect, which can be traced to printing in 1936, can be seen on any card that was printed or reprinted in 1936. There is currently #93 Crowder SGC 60 on eBay with this defect. I have seen quite a few low numbers too.

:D:D:D

brianp-beme
08-08-2014, 01:17 PM
I know absolutely zilch about the printing process, but I have also have seen/own Diamond Stars with similiar horizontal print lines that come from the semi-high numbers (#85-96). I haven't noticed (and haven't really been looking) for examples in the lower numbers, but if RGold's theory is correct, then it is possible that the following #'s could have print lines, as they all exist in the 1936 print run:

2,4,5,8,9,10,12,16,22,26,30,31, and 73-108

Brian

steve B
08-08-2014, 03:49 PM
The presses have guides to help the paper guide evenly into the outfeed stack. The ones above the paper rather than to the sides are either metal bars, or a set of rollers depending on the press. Usually the metal guides are used slowly and never touch the paper, But at higher speeds -More sheets /hour - They might. The wheel kind touches more often, and if the little wheels don't turn well they'll leave drag marks.

A bit of debris at the right spot will also leave drag marks.

And on the infeed side there's often some anti-static material. Usually copper foil sort of spun into a string with bits that stick out. If the sheets aren't actually dry when run through those can also leave drag marks.

There can be more or less anti static material depending on weather.

Typically drag marks will show up across the whole sheet. So for something like cards an entire column would show the marks. The exception would be momentary contact with the outfeed rollers which is usually what looks like a scuffed spot and is usually only in one spot.

Steve B