PDA

View Full Version : Howe McCormack Collector?

geor952
08-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Can anyone put me in touch with the board member who collects Howe McCormack stamped back, T-206s?

Gradedcardman
08-07-2014, 07:01 PM
With info

geor952
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys, I got it!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
08-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Has another card been found?

geor952
08-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes it has, buried in my dad's commons. A great card with some of Howe's scrap book glue lines, it really is a cool card!

Al C.risafulli
08-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Ed's collection is my favorite collection in the entire hobby.

-Al

geor952
08-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Al,
I finally met you on Wed. night at the show. I talked to you about the personally owned Warren Spahn cards I bought in your auction. Nice to see you on here! Hope you had a great show!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
08-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes it has, buried in my dad's commons. A great card with some of Howe's scrap book glue lines, it really is a cool card!
That's awesome! Another card is going home.

CobbvLajoie1910
08-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Ed's collection is my favorite collection in the entire hobby.

-Al

Easily mine as well....and it's not even close

bobbyw8469
08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Easily mine as well....and it's not even close

Ed's collection is a distant second to mine! :p

I do admire his tenacity however for a collection that he will never truly know if he has completed it or not.

geor952
08-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Ed,
Here is the card. I sent you a PM and look forward to it getting in your collection.

geor952
08-08-2014, 08:03 AM
The back...

Al C.risafulli
08-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Awesome, George.

That collection not only represents one of the most unique and interesting ways of collecting that I've ever encountered, it also brings out the generosity of the people in the prewar community.

-Al

ethicsprof
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
ed will be elated, I am sure!
Mighty kind of you George.

all the best,
barry

swarmee
11-09-2014, 02:16 PM
grabbed an SGC-slabbed Howe McCormack and would like to see it added to his home collection.

Wildfireschulte
11-09-2014, 03:53 PM
The new Legendary auction has a 509/520 T206 set with "a few Howie McKormack stamped cards". Hopefully someone on the board will win the set.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
11-09-2014, 04:43 PM
The new Legendary auction has a 509/520 T206 set with "a few Howie McKormack stamped cards". Hopefully someone on the board will win the set.
That's a toughie maybe the winner would accept trades for the Howe cards.

Howe’s Hunter
11-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Honestly don't check out auctions from Heritage very often. Which leads to this question ....

If anyone knows someone, or knows who to contact at Heritage, just to even find out what cards in the lot have Howe's stamp, would you please share that information with me?

Long story .... several years ago, they offered a green back Cobb portrait with Howe's stamp on the back. I bid, and lost. I tried to contact them a couple days later, asking if they would pass on a message to the winner of the card with the story of my collection, my contact info and then I would just hope they might contact me. Can't remember the name of the young lady who I then had quite a few email exchanges with over the next three months, but her first response was no, I didn't win the card.

Yes, I know, but if I send a message to you and ask you to pass it on to the winner, would you do so?

No, but you can use our secondary offer feature and offer to buy the card from the winner.

Well, I couldn't afford the card in the first place, so I wouldn't have more than they paid in the first place to offer, so could I just send a message to them that they would pass on to the winner?

No, they would no divulge the winners name.

I'm not asking you to, but would you pass a message on to the winner, I would just like to hear from them and add their information to my data base of Howe-stamped cards.

No, they would not share their data base with me.

I'm not asking for your data base, I want to add them to mine.

Let me check ... uh, no one here is interested in purchasing your database.

Let me start over.... I have done this with Mastro, and I am asking you the same thing, can you pass a message on .... .

Uh, this is Heritage, not Matro. Do you need their contact info?

That is when I finally stopped trying to communicate with them. Only took nine emails and three months to get to that point. Easier to just add the card to the lost data base rather than go through any more with them.

So, if anyone knows anyone, please let me know. I would at least like to know what cards there are in the set, and maybe if I get in contact with the right person, see if they won't pass a message on at the end of the auction.

Again, thanks to everyone on the site for your help in my strange quest to reassemble Howe's collection.

t206hound
11-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Here's the link:
http://legendaryauctions.com/1909_11_T206_White_Border_Near_Set__509_520__Minus-LOT169004.aspx

Marquard/At Side (FR, "Howie McCormick" back stamp)
35% lesser (including a few with "Howie McCormick" backstamps)

edhans
11-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Honestly don't check out auctions from Heritage very often. Which leads to this question ....

If anyone knows someone, or knows who to contact at Heritage, just to even find out what cards in the lot have Howe's stamp, would you please share that information with me?

Ask for our very own Pete Calderone.

Howe’s Hunter
11-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the clarification and the PMs.

Ed

Kawika
11-10-2014, 02:57 PM
If you picture Gracie Allen on the other end of the phone, your conversation with Heritage is actually pretty funny. Otherwise, not so much.

Bocabirdman
11-11-2014, 03:01 PM
If you picture Gracie Allen on the other end of the phone, your conversation with Heritage is actually pretty funny. Otherwise, not so much.

David,

You do realize that the is a decent percentage of the board members who haven't a clue as to who Gracie is. You qualify for Geezer-hood (like me) without even taking Frank's quiz over at the Water Cooler.....:D

Kawika
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
David,

You do realize that there is a decent percentage of the board members who haven't a clue as to who Gracie is. You qualify for Geezer-hood (like me) without even taking Frank's quiz over at the Water Cooler.....:D
One of the downsides of getting old is that all one's cultural references are out-of-date. That and there's no such thing as a quick piss. So be it. Gracie deserved to be remembered. She was a delightful, sweet ditz on the radio in my parents' day and on TV in my boyhood. She was Gilda Radner before Gilda Radner. Any of you young 'uns remember Gilda?

Bocabirdman
11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
One of the downsides of getting old is that all one's cultural references are out-of-date. That and there's no such thing as a quick piss. So be it. Gracie deserved to be remembered. She was a delightful, sweet ditz on the radio in my parents' day and on TV in my boyhood. She was Gilda Radner before Gilda Radner. Any of you young 'uns remember Gilda?

Geez! Can you believe Gilda's been gone 25 years already?

Howe’s Hunter
11-11-2014, 06:09 PM
that I can recite one of Gilda's Rosanne Rosanadana pieces from SNL word for word after having only seen it one time, and even do it in her/Roseanne's voice.

Just goes to show you it's always something.

uniship
11-12-2014, 08:11 AM
ed - damn that heritage exchange was insane. What a fantastic collection you have going - love your passion for it - keep updates coming!

johnmh71
11-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Because I like a good story, what is the story behind the stamp and the collector (Howe)? Did he pass away and then his collection was sold off?

Howe’s Hunter
11-12-2014, 10:45 AM
In 1991, while traditionally collecting T206s, I purchased a Hindu-backed card sight-unseen, and upon arrival, it had a rubber stamp on the back of Howe McCormick. Move forward to late 2006, I see another card on eBay with the same stamp and decide to buy it. Mention it here on the board, and I start to hear from many collectors who have one or two, and decided to try and reassemble his collection. Sold the nearly 200 I had at the time in 2007 and since then now own 267, am awaiting one in the mail next week, and know of another 38 that exist with his stamp, but aren't in my collection. There are even more out there I am sure, as they show up in bunches on occasion (the upcoming Legendary auction, for instance, that I am hopeful of hearing back from them what cards in that lot have the stamp).

Born in 1896, he lived in the store his parents owned in a neighborhood that had a McCormick Street, named after his grandfather, who was a prominent Presbyterian minister at the turn of the century. Went to U of F, served in the Army in WWI, was discharged, married, moved out of the store and had a daughter. Last census info I've found was from 1930, when his occupation was listed as salesman. Died in 1976, his wife a couple years later and the daughter ten years later. Haven't found any living relatives through several attempts at Ancestry.com.

I just found it interesting to find two cards that far apart that had the same stamp and decided to try and see how many there were. Had no idea it would go this far, or bring me in contact with so many of the wonderful members of this board who have helped along the way. My continued thanks to all.

Howe’s Hunter
11-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Don't really know for sure, but I do know that a near complete set of T206s that had several of his cards was completed in the early '70s before his death. That leads me to believe he didn't hold on to them until the end.

T206Collector
11-12-2014, 11:17 AM
How many dupes do you have? What is the best card you have with a stamp? What is the best card you don't own but are aware of has the stamp?

Howe’s Hunter
11-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Best card I own with the stamp: That would be the Cy Young portrait that was mentioned on the board several months ago. The eBay seller wasn't willing to work out a payment schedule on the card, which was out of my reach. However, a board member contacted them, purchased the card and held it for me while I paid them off. Quite a kind gesture that was unexpected.

Best card with the stamp that I don't own: There is a Cobb Bat Off Shoulder that is in perfect registration, with nice white borders all around and a big ol' stamp from Howe on the Piedmont back. The card is owned by a board member who wishes to remain anonymous, and as it was a gift from a family member to them many years ago, they aren't interested in parting with it. They were kind enough to share scans and I have them on my database of cards that exist.

I'll have to count singles vs. dupes tonight at home. Never really paid that much attention to it, but a wild guess would say about 50% of the cards are dupes. Several I know I have three of, and I'm pretty sure I have four of the same card of at least two players.

Paul, thanks for your help in my collection. I only hope someday to run across an autographed card that fits in your collection that I can help you out with.

z28jd
11-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I thought this was funny, sort of, since it isn't me trying to put the habitual backstampers collection back together. This guy knows the card has some significance, but since only one person collects these cards, he isn't going to bid against himself to get it. I'm guessing the price will have to come down some...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-1911-Hindu-Cigarettes-Al-Burch-Brooklyn-Dodgers-RARE-SGC-20-1-5-/331375728118?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4d278855f6

Howe’s Hunter
11-12-2014, 12:03 PM
it sold at Robert Edwards for $350 just a couple weeks ago. I passed on it then, as Pete Z. made a deal that if I won one of the other Hindu-backed T206s in the auction, he would trade me his Hindu-backed Bransfield and Piedmont-backed Milan, even up. Looking at it now, I still come out quite a bit ahead, getting two cards with the stamp for less than the current asking price for the one.

johnmh71
11-13-2014, 05:37 PM
I can understand the interest Ed. I have a similar interest in autographs from the Karl Wingler collection. I own several of those and would like to add more.

2dueces
11-13-2014, 06:03 PM
I collect F.F.Baker stamped cards. Thanks to Erick Summers, Ed and a few board members I have 23 in my collection.
Like Ed I bought some commons and noticed the stamp. I thought I had seen it before and sure enough I had one in my collection already. Leon just had 2 in his last auction and Erick alerted me and they are safe at home now. It's a great way to enjoy the hobby inexpensively and still enjoy the hunt.

Howe’s Hunter
11-13-2014, 06:45 PM
I have 153 cards that I have one of.

There are 43 cards I have two of.

7 cards I have three of.

1 card I have four of.

There is one card I have two of that I know another example of exists. There is another I have three of that has a fourth one out there. Then there are two Cobb green back portraits that I don't own either of.

Luke
11-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Ed,
How many Hindus do you have? For the cards you have more than one of, do any have more than one back?

Howe’s Hunter
11-13-2014, 07:57 PM
13 Hindu backed cards

22 Old Mill backs

All the rest are Piedmont

Of the dupes, only three of the dupes total have more than one back.

mrvster
11-13-2014, 08:07 PM
any scraps???:confused:;)

Howe’s Hunter
11-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Is one card with a three quarters Piedmont on one side of the back, a big space then just a sliver of another Piedmont back. Wouldn't call it a scrap but just a slip on the press.