PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

eastonfalcon19
08-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I have a question. I was bidding on an item on Ebay and I was outbid a few days ago. Today I go into my Ebay and now it says that I am the highest bidder. Does anybody know why this happened? I didn't want to bid any higher and I placed bids on other items since I have been outbid. Should I contact Ebay? Thank you for any advice.

Econteachert205
08-06-2014, 05:30 PM
was it a new bid you supposedly made or did the bidding revert back to an earlier bid you made due to someone dropping out. Bidding history check should also reveal time of bid.

eastonfalcon19
08-06-2014, 05:31 PM
No it wasn't a new bid it went back to my old bid..I thought you couldn't get out of bidding on ebay?

oldballgame
08-06-2014, 05:39 PM
The previous high bidder probably retracted his bid which is allowed

William Farrell
08-06-2014, 05:42 PM
No it wasn't a new bid it went back to my old bid..I thought you couldn't get out of bidding on ebay?

Accessing the "automatic bid" feature link on the page that shows the entire bidding history may help supply the answer.

From your description, one of three things happened. Either your overbidder canccelled his bid, the seller cancelled your overbidder's bid, or Ebay Narued him (temporary or permanent suspended him) thereby automatically cancelling all of his active bids on all of ebay.

eastonfalcon19
08-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Ok thank you guys for feedback greatly appreciated.

D. Bergin
08-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Could you tell us what the item was? Might give us an idea if it was an obvious shill or not based on the bidding history.

I'm the last to cry "shill", but Ebay seems to be on a mission to become less and less transparent lately, and I "hate" retractions. Hurts buyers AND good sellers.

eastonfalcon19
08-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Shill bidding is my biggest concern. Heavy bidding then another bidder jumps in I no longer bid on the item then after several days he retracts his bid.

D. Bergin
08-06-2014, 06:37 PM
What was the item?

mcgwirecom
08-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I never bid til the last second on Ebay because of issues like this. A lot of times when you put in a ceiling bid the seller will have his friend out bid you to see how high you will go. then they retract the bid and re-bid to just under your maximum. See if its the same bidder who is just under you. Even if its not it could be a scam.

thetruthisoutthere
08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Shill bidding is my biggest concern. Heavy bidding then another bidder jumps in I no longer bid on the item then after several days he retracts his bid.

Ditto.

Shill bidding is commonplace on Ebay.