PDA

View Full Version : psa grading question

milkit1
08-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Im submitting a few t206s that I feel might grade a six. If they grade a five they'd be below the $100 value deal they currently have for august. If they grade a six they'd be above that. If I put a value below $100 would that bring up the possibility that they would grade the cards a 5 simply because of the value I have placed on them? I am assuming I should probably just value them high.
Thanks

The Nasty Nati
08-06-2014, 10:52 AM
SGC has a great August deal. $7 per card. Any T Card valued at $250 or less.

...and they have a great new slab too. ;)

glchen
08-06-2014, 11:51 AM
I'd just submit them below $100. PSA will not grade cards a 5 just because of declared value. They do not look at declared value of the card at all when grading cards. The declared value only is used if PSA accidentally loses or damages your card. Then they will pay you the amount of the card with the max amount being the declared value that you put for the card. Therefore, you should not take too much liberties w/ the declared value.

If PSA determines that the card that you have is valued much higher than the declared value that you put on the card and for that service level, they will just call you (or email you) and let you know that they need to put the card in a higher service tier and charge you extra accordingly. For example, once I sent in a Ruth card under the $1000 service tier. PSA contacted me, and told me after grading the card, they needed to charge me according to the $5000 service tier. I've heard another example where a submitter sent a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card to PSA. After grading, the card received a PSA 10 Gem Mint. PSA called the submitter stating that because the card graded a 10, it needed to be in a higher service tier, and PSA needed to upcharge him. Obviously, he was ecstatic to pay the extra fee.

Therefore, if I were you, I'd just sent the cards in under the $100 service tier. There will be no effect on all upon the grade that your card will receive. If the card does receive a grade that PSA feels that they must charge you extra, they will contact you for it, so no worries.

Jantz
08-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I would also add the submission fee into the declared value of the card. If PSA loses or damages the card, you should be compensated.

Jantz

bobbyw8469
08-06-2014, 02:22 PM
I'd just submit them below $100. PSA will not grade cards a 5 just because of declared value. They do not look at declared value of the card at all when grading cards. The declared value only is used if PSA accidentally loses or damages your card. Then they will pay you the amount of the card with the max amount being the declared value that you put for the card. Therefore, you should not take too much liberties w/ the declared value.

If PSA determines that the card that you have is valued much higher than the declared value that you put on the card and for that service level, they will just call you (or email you) and let you know that they need to put the card in a higher service tier and charge you extra accordingly. For example, once I sent in a Ruth card under the $1000 service tier. PSA contacted me, and told me after grading the card, they needed to charge me according to the $5000 service tier. I've heard another example where a submitter sent a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card to PSA. After grading, the card received a PSA 10 Gem Mint. PSA called the submitter stating that because the card graded a 10, it needed to be in a higher service tier, and PSA needed to upcharge him. Obviously, he was ecstatic to pay the extra fee.

Therefore, if I were you, I'd just sent the cards in under the $100 service tier. There will be no effect on all upon the grade that your card will receive. If the card does receive a grade that PSA feels that they must charge you extra, they will contact you for it, so no worries.

+1....great advice Gary!

bnorth
08-06-2014, 02:41 PM

I always figured the declared value was the value of the card raw when sent in not the price after grading with the insane PSA premium.

I would be more than a little mad if PSA called/emailed me and said we gave your card a 10 so you owe us more money. I can understand if someone sent in a card worth way more raw than they declared to get cheaper grading fees but asking for more $ after it is graded is BS.

glchen
08-06-2014, 02:46 PM
I always figured the declared value was the value of the card raw when sent in not the price after grading with the insane PSA premium.

I would be more than a little mad if PSA called/emailed me and said we gave your card a 10 so you owe us more money. I can understand if someone sent in a card worth way more raw than they declared to get cheaper grading fees but asking for more $ after it is graded is BS.

Also look at it this way. The declared value for the card (and of the total submission) is used to determine how much insurance that is used when shipping the card back to you from PSA. If you had a card that you put a declared value for $499, and after grading as a 10, it is now worth $5000+++, wouldn't you want PSA to insure that card for the new value rather than what you had estimated before the card was graded?

bnorth
08-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Also look at it this way. The declared value for the card (and of the total submission) is used to determine how much insurance that is used when shipping the card back to you from PSA. If you had a card that you put a declared value for $499, and after grading as a 10, it is now worth $5000+++, wouldn't you want PSA to insure that card for the new value rather than what you had estimated before the card was graded?

Gary I understand if they are just asking for more money IF I want to raise the amount of insurance on return postage because of the NEW perceived value. I don't think I should pay more for grading just because of the grade they give the card. Just my opinion and I know nothing about grading/graded cards and want to keep it that way.:D

milkit1
08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
awesome thanks for the advise. Sent out cards today thanks :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
08-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Im submitting a few t206s that I feel might grade a six. If they grade a five they'd be below the $100 value deal they currently have for august. If they grade a six they'd be above that. If I put a value below $100 would that bring up the possibility that they would grade the cards a 5 simply because of the value I have placed on them? I am assuming I should probably just value them high.
Thanks
I have never considered that a company would do this. However it would be interesting to know if the graders saw that paperwork.