PDA

View Full Version : SMR response to recent 1914 Cracker Jack surge (or lack thereof)

Gobucsmagic74
08-04-2014, 09:19 AM
As has been discussed recently, 1914 Cracker Jacks seem to be surging in price over the past few months and this got me interested in seeing what influence that surge has had on SMR pricing. When I went to SMR online it noted, "SMR online updated on 7-28-14" however when I clicked on 1914 Cracker Jack it reads, "Prices as of 5-27-14". Does anyone know why there has not been an update since May or if it is common for certain vintage sets to only update periodically?

That leads to a follow-up question about SMR pricing. It appears that SMR's pricing of HoF'ers (and commons for that matter) seems considerably low compared to the market trend of 1914 Cracker Jacks and I'm wondering if this is more the result of no updates since 5-27-14 or if SMR is just conservative and resistant to market trends in general? I obviously wouldn't expect one or two sales to greatly impact pricing, but I would think the general hobby consensus that 1914 CJ's are red hot would influence pricing. Just wanted to get some insight from the veterans on this topic.

That said, if anyone happens to have a Lajoie in PSA 3/SGC 40 I would happily pay full SMR of $800 via paypal gift. :)

MikeU
08-04-2014, 09:38 AM
As has been discussed recently, 1914 Cracker Jacks seem to be surging in price over the past few months and this got me interested in seeing what influence that surge has had on SMR pricing. When I went to SMR online it noted, "SMR online updated on 7-28-14" however when I clicked on 1914 Cracker Jack it reads, "Prices as of 5-27-14". Does anyone know why there has not been an update since May or if it is common for certain vintage sets to only update periodically?

That leads to a follow-up question about SMR pricing. It appears that SMR's pricing of HoF'ers (and commons for that matter) seems considerably low compared to the market trend of 1914 Cracker Jacks and I'm wondering if this is more the result of no updates since 5-27-14 or if SMR is just conservative and resistant to market trends in general? I obviously wouldn't expect one or two sales to greatly impact pricing, but I would think the general hobby consensus that 1914 CJ's are red hot would influence pricing. Just wanted to get some insight from the veterans on this topic.

That said, if anyone happens to have a Lajoie in PSA 3/SGC 40 I would happily pay full SMR of $800 via paypal gift. :)

The best insight is to find dealers that use the SMR as gospel and buy accordingly.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I bought a PSA3 Lajoie 3 months ago for $995 on eBay. I would think it's probably gone up a bit since then. You're probably looking at anywhere from $1000 to $1500 (if you can find it!)

Gobucsmagic74
08-04-2014, 09:59 AM
The best insight is to find dealers that use the SMR as gospel and buy accordingly.

Good advice! Just out of curiousity how conservative would you rate SMR right now in terms of 1914 CJ values? Looks to me that the average HoF in VG condition is currently valued at $600 which seems pretty low.

refz
08-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Ive noticed the prices and demand, inclining for about a year and half or more.

GregMitch34
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
As you may know, you can't give a blanket "HOF" or "Common" price for them since they vary widely due to relative scarcity. Even more so, it seems, since I did my epic "combined pop report" listing and ranking a couple of months ago!

That said HOF "3s" do seem to have bottom of $700 and "4s" probably $1000. People offering "4s" for HOFer at $2000-2500 on ebay right now are out of whack. I think!

Rich Klein
08-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Pricing is not the primary concern of the SMR

*although I would think it should and can be*

Rich

BobbyVCP
08-04-2014, 04:36 PM
SMR has great articles