PDA

View Full Version : Catalog idea I've had

steve B
08-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Apologies up front for putting this in two sections, but I think the answers might be different for each,

Discussing the print errors and discussing the differences between print errors, variations and what I call varieties* has made me consider an idea I've been thinking about for a while now.

Would there be much interest in a catalog that was looseleaf and very detailed?

What I'm picturing is doing an introductory section that covers the production process and a few other technical details. Then a section for each set laid out with a basic checklist including recognized variations (perhaps less the ones that really aren't) , followed by a more detailed listing of varieties that are issues with the plate, then a final section with much more detail if it exists like very small but real differences between print runs etc. And with all the varieties pictured wherever possible (Not sure how I'd get pictures of the different UD holograms)

It would be looseleaf, so someone could pick up only the section for each set or maybe for a group of sets. Sort of a customizable catalog.

I have really detailed notes on a few sets and could gradually develop those for others.
I'd have to figure out how to include as much as possible without difficulties with people who discovered stuff especially if it's been published. A bit of a potential copyrights issue. (The notes I've done myself aren't a problem at all, some of it is stuff I haven't even posted about. )

Would there be interest? And at what sort of price level?

Steve B

* plate differences that are often minor and don't fit most common ideas of what a variation is.

runbrett
08-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I like your idea. I was thinking of doing something like this in a couple of other areas by making an e-book or app. I look forward to hearing other ideas.

tombocombo
08-05-2014, 11:38 PM
i would like to contribute to the 1952 topps set.

Matthew80
08-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I'd be interested in it.

Depending on how extensive, I'd spend $5 - 20 for it.

Keep us posted.

buymycards
08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Yes, I think that would be the kind of thing I would spend money on. I am kind of a freak for price guides and catalogs.

Rick