PDA

View Full Version : Fake cards please look at

Nappy1525
07-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I know the answer to this question already I just need to know what everyone thinks. Are these cards fake!?! The cards below I received from trading with someone on this site. I am outraged about these cards. The good thing is I didn't send my cards until I got his to see what they were like and it was the best decision of my life. What does everyone think about these?

Nappy1525
07-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Backs. They look much worse in person. They are blurry cards

bnorth
08-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Backs. They look much worse in person. They are blurry cards

I know very little about Topps from that year. What is the give away that they are fake?

clydepepper
08-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Adam-

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I'm no expert, but they look legit to me. Could you be more specific so others can be alerted to this possibility?

Thanks

brewing
08-01-2014, 05:31 AM
Can't say if they are fake, but they look trimmed.

Vintagevault13
08-01-2014, 06:29 AM

+1

veleno45
08-01-2014, 06:34 AM

Won't a simple measurement tell you if it is trimmed? Or is it not that easy.

bn2cardz
08-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Assuming your photos are in focus it does look like the type is very blurry.

Also it is obvious that it is too closely trimmed and is missing the spacing on the back between text and the edge of the card.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/ItemImages/000021/21885b_med.jpeg

bn2cardz
08-01-2014, 06:45 AM
The cards below I received from trading with someone on this site.

Who was it? Have you notified Leon?

bbcard1
08-01-2014, 06:46 AM
A few years back I bought a 1952 Topps Mantle that looked fine on ebay, but was a simple color copy front and back pasted. Looked a lot like those, but the borders on the scan were "right". Immediately started raising 9 kinds of hell…got may money back and was very lucky to do so.

vintagetoppsguy
08-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Count me as another one that thinks the cards are authentic, but most definitely trimmed.

Who was it? Have you notified Leon?

Agreed. You should let Leon know. It may be a good idea to let the rest of the board know as well so we can avoid that person as a trading partner. It's okay to give up their name.

x2drich2000
08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Before outing the guy, how were these advertised? What condition did he say they were in? Did he provide scans? Was the possibiility of trimming mentioned? What was his reaction to your belief that the cards were fake? What were the terms of your trade? Was he to send first and upon your approval you would mail? Were you both to mail at the same time?

From what everyone else has mentioned so far it seems the general thought, contrary to your initial post, is that they are real but trimmed. Your initial post suggests you only thought the cards were fake, but mentioned nothing of being trimmed. I'm not trying to discredit you or your thoughts, just giving you something to consider. Tarnishing someone reputation without providing all the details in my opinion is never a good thing. Personally, I can't tell from these pictures if they're real or not, but I think it's highly likely that they are at least trimmed.

DJ

bn2cardz
08-01-2014, 08:50 AM
I will say that if the blur I see isn't the out of focus camera these are definitely fake. The trim could be used to cut off the excess white and make sure the cards line up better when gluing the front and back together. Does the border have print dots? It shouldn't.

A scan may be more telling then a photo through plastic.

ZachS
08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
The colors look "off" to me... most noticeably the red text on the yellow background looks too fuzzy. The coloring on the back looks way too dark.

As others have already mentioned they are definitely trimmed.

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=bn2cardz;1304653]I will say that if the blur I see isn't the out of focus camera these are definitely fake.

That is as in focus as I could get I don't have a scanner so I cannot scan but these cards are so blurry and I know 100% that these are fake. The blur you see is 100 times worse in person

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Leon has been notified but has not gotten back to me. I said I would send him the cards. And I haven't been on the board too long and I would not like to tell who it is because I don't know if that's a rule that you have to keep the name private. If It is not a rule and everyone would like to know then I would be happy to say who it was. Thank you for everyone's feed back and I'm sorry that you can't see what I'm seeing. The photo isn't near as bad as the actually card. Someone had to have just copied and pasted the two sides on a piece of card board for all I can see.

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 10:10 AM
I missed David's post on saying it's okay to tell. Now to this person I'm sorry I would love to keep your name private but multiple people have asked and I would just like to stay on the board because I've had a lot of fun and gotten some good cards out of it. Joepa is the person who sent me those cards

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Before outing the guy, how were these advertised? What condition did he say they were in? Did he provide scans? Was the possibiility of trimming mentioned? What was his reaction to your belief that the cards were fake? What were the terms of your trade? Was he to send first and upon your approval you would mail? Were you both to mail at the same time?

From what everyone else has mentioned so far it seems the general thought, contrary to your initial post, is that they are real but trimmed. Your initial post suggests you only thought the cards were fake, but mentioned nothing of being trimmed. I'm not trying to discredit you or your thoughts, just giving you something to consider. Tarnishing someone reputation without providing all the details in my opinion is never a good thing. Personally, I can't tell from these pictures if they're real or not, but I think it's highly likely that they are at least trimmed.

DJ

First I just want to say I know for 100% fact they are fake and it's my fault for the bad picture. I've talked to Leon a few weeks back and he said If I can live without the deal then don't do the deal because he's had problems with him before. Now I was going to receive his cards first because he never sends me scans so I receive the cards and then I ship the day I receive. He said they were vg+ and never said anything about them being trimmed. He then said to me when I confronted him that just send them back I can't tell if cards are fake or not fake.

39special
08-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Did you tell joepa you thought they were fake?I have dealt with him in the past and he always sent first so I could check them first.I never had a problem.

ZachS
08-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Someone had to have just copied and pasted the two sides on a piece of card board for all I can see.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/brick-lol.gif

So what was the trade going to be?

vintagetoppsguy
08-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Joepa is the person who sent me those cards

Thanks for posting the name. I've never dealt with Joepa, but I know of at least two other forum members that have had problems with his deals. I'm not going to bring those up, but you can find them via search. You're now the third member I know that's had a bad deal with him. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the name is important so other members can decide if they want to do business with him or not. I don't think I'll be doing any business with him in the future, others can decide for themselves. Sorry to hear about your situation, but at least you weren't out anything (other than a little time). Just send the cards back and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

rsdill2
08-01-2014, 11:24 AM
god bless

bobbyw8469
08-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I am well versed in the 1959 set, as I am currently in the process of building FOUR of them. Yes, I am ADD and I am building 4 1959 Topps sets. That being said, the Mays is a definite fake. Easy to tell by looking at the front.

vintagecpa
08-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Robert, what details are you looking at on the Mays that gives it away?

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 12:38 PM
It's hard to tell in the picture. The card is completely blurry in person. Leon will get the cards and see what I'm talking about

gregr2
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
god bless

Too funny!!! :D

bobbyw8469
08-01-2014, 01:05 PM
The 1959 cards should look like cards. The players names should be crisp and clear - not look like xeroxed photo copies. If it is just a bad pic, and my eyes are playing tricks on me, then my apologies. Based upon what I am seeing via the scans, the cards look fake....

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 01:19 PM
No it's a bad picture because they look even faker in person haha.

Econteachert205
08-01-2014, 02:50 PM
The bottom edges of the back of the cards when viewed horizontally look to be all sorts of funky changing color etc. if they aren't fake they are still ugly kiddie scissor party cards.

39special
08-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Did you talk to joepa about getting your cards back?

Nappy1525
08-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Everything is worked out i have my cards hes getting his cards. Its what Leon wants to do now.

Leon
08-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Everything is worked out i have my cards hes getting his cards. Its what Leon wants to do now.

I have to give this some thought, guys. I don't know. I have had a lot of problems with this seller but don't know of any unresolved issues....so I hate to ban him. I don't usually talk about this stuff but there have been more chances given already, and members affected, than really should have been.

Nappy1525
08-02-2014, 12:14 AM
As long as he sends the cards first then i think people may do deals with him

08-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Judging strictly by the eloquence of his BST posts, I bet poor ole joepa probably thought these cards were real.

vintagetoppsguy
08-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Whatever happened with this?

Fake?

Trimmed?

Nappy1525
08-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Whatever happened with this?

Fake?

Trimmed?

They are fake. I sent them back to Joepa and he said he is sending them to Leon

08-11-2014, 05:31 PM

Why is he sending them to Leon?

bnorth
08-11-2014, 05:31 PM

Did the seller give you any reasonable explanation on why you got fake cards?

Also if this guy has had previous problems and these are indeed fake cards why are they still allowed to post in the B/S/T section?

vintagetoppsguy
08-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Also if this guy has had previous problems and these are indeed fake cards why are they still allowed to post in the B/S/T section?

That's what I was wondering too. I saw him post on the B/S/T today and it reminded me of this thread.

bobbyw8469
08-11-2014, 06:00 PM
joepa never sells anything, just trades......who knows....

Nappy1525
08-11-2014, 06:55 PM
To Daryl and Ben. He said he was sending cards to Leon so Leon could say why they were fake. The only explanation I got was that he doesn't know if a card is fake or not.

Nappy1525
08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
joepa never sells anything, just trades......who knows....

This isnt fully true ive bought about $300 worth of stuff from him. He says he wants to trade but he will also sell.

Leon
08-11-2014, 07:56 PM
He never sent them to me. I got some kind of archaic message from him also. Who knows ...but God bless.

At the end of it I didn't think anyone was out anything and let it go. He has made some good deals according to others. I believe it is just senility.

DeafSports
08-11-2014, 10:09 PM
F A K E !! I got a set myself and my first reaction was, is it a cut off from some 1980's cereal boxes? SMH :)

campyfan39
08-14-2014, 08:27 PM
interesting thread