PDA

View Full Version : Postcards with prices on the back

swarmee
07-28-2014, 07:52 PM
I have some vintage (1905-1920) postcards that are clean (surface, edges, corners) except for dealer prices in pencil on back. Are these worth grading via SGC or not even worth it? I mean, some of these would be 8s without the single written mark on it for the price, and postcard dealers have been writing the prices on the back for decades. Is that "built in" to the grading system so that a near perfect card with a price (or erased price) can still grade close to its beauty?
Most of mine I would submit just to have them protected, but some I'm sure I would want to re-sell. Maybe I'll just send a couple in and see what I get...

ZachS
07-28-2014, 08:38 PM
I think SGC hits writing harder on overall grade. PSA is more likely to give a higher grade and add the (MK) qualifier.

slidekellyslide
07-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Postcard collectors generally don't care about the writing on the back. Some even prefer postcards to have been mailed (myself included).

h2oya311
07-30-2014, 03:55 AM
I think SGC hits writing harder on overall grade. PSA is more likely to give a higher grade and add the (MK) qualifier.

+1. In fact, almost all of mine w/ even light pencil marks have come back in an SGC 20 holder. SGC is quite tough.

swarmee
07-30-2014, 04:17 AM
I will submit some with my next PSA order then.

h2oya311
07-30-2014, 04:46 AM
I would be remiss if I did not point out, however, that most vintage baseball postcard collectors prefer SGC over PSA (when graded...ungraded is probably better unless it is quite rare or important) and pay almost no regard to the grade assigned by either company. As mentioned, postally used PCs are often preferred as it can pinpoint a date and/ or give other baseball content in the message.