PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Baseball Book Fiction and Non you have read?

clydepepper
07-24-2014, 01:48 PM
I am currently being very disappointed by 'Wicked Curve' - bio of Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Best Non-Fiction: The Glory of Their Times

Best Fiction: The Curious Case of Sidd Finch

Peter_Spaeth
07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
The Celebrant is really good -- about Mathewson but fiction.

gracecollector
07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Fiction: The Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach

Non-Fiction: Since Glory of Their Times was already nominated, I'll go with The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn

Best Illustrated Book: We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball by Kadir Nelson (my god this book is gorgeous to look at!)

ALR-bishop
07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
....even comes with a baseball card

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img140.jpg

King, a huge Red Sox fan, also has a book on the 2004 Red Sox Season, Faithful. As a Cardinal's fan I can not bring myself to read that.

One of his other books, not really a sports book, is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Paul S
07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Fiction -- try The Dixie Association, by Donald Hays.

Howe’s Hunter
07-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Uecker at his best.

Bicem
07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Best Non-Fiction: The Glory of Their Times

Should be required reading for dead-ball era collectors.

Probably my favorite book of any genre.

slipk1068
07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
The Fireside Book of Baseball. Any volume is awesome.

ErikV
07-24-2014, 02:49 PM
My favorite book was "Luckiest Man" by Jonathan Eig.
Amazing story of a true American hero, and it was wonderfully written.
Really is a must read for any Gehrig fan, or baseball fan for that matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Luckiest-Man-Life-Death-Gehrig/dp/0743268938/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406234677&sr=8-1&keywords=lou+Gehrig

Den*nis O*Brien
07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Calico Joe, by John Grisham, is fiction revolving around a baseball incident. Grisham also wrote a non fiction book, The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice In A Small Town, about a minor league player, in the Yankees system, that wound up on Oklahoma's death row.

Andy Baran
07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
If I Never Get Back by Darrell Brock

jerseygary
07-24-2014, 03:02 PM
I have hundreds of baseball books in my library and have read thousands more, but if I had to absolutely pick one of each, this would be them...

Best Non-Fiction:
Outsider Baseball by Scott Simkus
As far as I'm concerned the greatest book written about non-MLB baseball and the most important non-fiction baseball book of the past 10 years. Besides being crammed with original research the author is funny as hell and his writing is a joy to read.

Best Fiction: The Natural by Bernard Malamud
I'd seen the movie a dozen times but man oh man, the original book ain't nothing like the movie! If the script writers followed the storyline of the book there's no way it would have been made let alone have Robert Redford star in it.

Bored5000
07-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I am currently being very disappointed by 'Wicked Curve' - bio of Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Really? Not liking "Wicked Curve?" I am a lifelong Phillies fan, so I enjoyed the information on the 1915 pennant winning team and some of the details on obscure players from that team. Perhaps the book does rely too heavily on game-by-game overviews, but I found the section of the book on Alexander's post-baseball life fascinating. :)

Milton
07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
'The Bad Guys Won' is a great book about the NY Mets 1986 season. Lots of great stories in there

TNP777
07-24-2014, 03:48 PM
I can't think of too many fictional baseball books I've read. Guess I'll have to go with Calico Joe, too.

The Boys of Summer is my choice for non-fiction. The Catcher Was a Spy is up there, too.

Eric72
07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
For Deadball Era fans who have not yet read it, I recommend Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy. It's an enjoyable trip through the 1908 season.

clydepepper
07-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Really? Not liking "Wicked Curve?" I am a lifelong Phillies fan, so I enjoyed the information on the 1915 pennant winning team and some of the details on obscure players from that team. Perhaps the book does rely too heavily on game-by-game overviews, but I found the section of the book on Alexander's post-baseball life fascinating. :)

I'm on page 46 and have already been told that he wore his uniform loose and his cap tight three times. ..but I am looking forward to the post-baseball period.

I do tend to give up on supposedly factual bios once I find the first big error - like the Rube Waddell biography, when, in the preface, I was informed that Radbourn won 60 games in 1870??

clydepepper
07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
...a close second place in the non-fiction is Robert W. Creamer's Babe- The Legend Comes to Life.

I believe this is the definitive bio of Ruth and with such a bold subject, the best sports biography I have read.

TUM301
07-24-2014, 04:13 PM
For Deadball Era fans who have not yet read it, I recommend Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy. It's an enjoyable trip through the 1908 season.

You are spot on here, just finished it last week. It was like experiencing the whole season with the added bonus of reliving the players ` lives we talk about daily on the net 54. THUMBS UP !

toppcat
07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
The Celebrant is really good -- about Mathewson but fiction.

Yes, that was a good one and probably my fiction choice as well. Boys of Summer for Non Fiction, hands down.

JimStinson
07-24-2014, 04:49 PM
I have hundreds of baseball books in my library and have read thousands more, but if I had to absolutely pick one of each, this would be them...

Best Non-Fiction:
Outsider Baseball by Scott Simkus
As far as I'm concerned the greatest book written about non-MLB baseball and the most important non-fiction baseball book of the past 10 years. Besides being crammed with original research the author is funny as hell and his writing is a joy to read.

I'd seen the movie a dozen times but man oh man, the original book ain't nothing like the movie! If the script writers followed the storyline of the book there's no way it would have been made let alone have Robert Redford star in it.

Non Fiction "The Glory of their Times" ..Larry Ritter , I knew him personally and he was so modest about the book , Also what I thought was amazing is that he did an equal split on royalties and many family members received checks from Larry Long after the player had died.

Fiction : Still have not found a good one yet , but agree with this post the book "The NATURAL" was AWFUL ! Movie FAR better than the book

Vintage autographs for Sale Daily
stinsonsports.com

frankbmd
07-24-2014, 06:12 PM
The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Proprietor

By Coover

Wite3
07-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Fiction is "The Celebrant"...wonderful book.

Non-Fiction: "Teammates" by Halberstamm is a great look at Williams, D. Dimaggio, Pesky, and Doerr.

Honorary mention: The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book.

Joshua

Nashvol
07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Non-fiction: "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter (hands down IMHO) followed by "Branch Rickey" by Lee Lowenfish.

Just finished "Baseball's Natural, The Story of Eddie Waitkus" by John Theodore this morning. Great background for "The Natural" by Bernard Malamud.

Fiction: "Angels at Rickwood" by Chuck Stewart (Shameless plug: I know the author; but it really is a great book to share with your kids)

clydepepper
07-24-2014, 06:55 PM
...is that I am picking up tips on more books I should own.

At my age, I am supposed to be decreasing my library.

GregMitch34
07-24-2014, 07:09 PM
"Joy in Mudville" by some hack named Greg Mitchell.

MooseDog
07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Non Fiction - The Glory of Their Times and Boys of Summer are head and shoulders above.

Fiction - I'm not much of a fiction reader but I did enjoy The Art of Fielding.

mattsey9
07-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Non-Fiction: John Helyar's Lords of the Realm is one I keep turning back to. Keith Hernandez has a book that I can't remember the title of that documents his thought processes for one MLB game. Great stuff.

Rob Ruck's Raceball and anything by Adrian Burgos also fit the bill for the historian in me.

Jerry G
07-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Fiction: Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella (Loved the movie, Field of Dreams, but the book is even better.)

Non-Fiction: October 1964 by David Halbersam. Lots of info on the first Cardinal's World Series of my life.

bobbvc
07-24-2014, 08:04 PM
"Ball Four" needs to be mentioned. Loved "Glory of their Times" also, but that's 2 Non-fiction.

obcbobd
07-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Non-Fiction. So many. Babe, The Legend Comes to Life.

Fiction. Bang the Drum Slowly

Bosox Blair
07-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Fiction: Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella (Loved the movie, Field of Dreams, but the book is even better.)

Was just reading this thread for the first time...astounded that it took until page 3 for someone to list this classic book! Also loved Kinsella's The Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

Cheers,
Blair

CobbvLajoie1910
07-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Save GOTT (the clear #1), the non-fiction list begins & ends with Charles Alexander's Ty Cobb. IMHO, it's the finest bio of its kind.

Hank's bio on WaJo ain't half bad either. :)

darwinbulldog
07-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Fiction -- If I Never Get Back

Non-fiction -- Babe: The Legend Comes to Life

byrone
07-25-2014, 07:51 AM
"Veeck and in Wreck" is my favourite baseball book. Usually read it once a year.

Haven't read any non-fiction baseball books.

bbcard1
07-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Ball Four for nonfiction, Box Socials for fiction, but it is not a book with that many fans

wolf441
07-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Non-Fiction - Glory of Their Times is no contest, so I'll nominate a lesser known work: Fifty-nine in '84 - Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn. Met the author and he was a heck of a nice guy. I also LOVE Radbourn's passion for sneaking in a flip of the bird in almost ever photo of him!

Fiction - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella. I also loved If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock, which was already nominated.

Chris D.
07-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Non-Fiction - Glory of Their Times is no contest, so I'll nominate a lesser known work: Fifty-nine in '84 - Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn. Met the author and he was a heck of a nice guy. I also LOVE Radbourn's passion for sneaking in a flip of the bird in almost ever photo of him!

Fiction - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella. I also loved If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock, which was already nominated.

Just downloaded 59 in '84 to read on vacation next week.

clydepepper
07-25-2014, 08:46 AM

Eddie- Thanks for the 'pep' talk by way of a positive review on what lies ahead in this book. I am enjoying it a little more.

Learned a little more about Hans Lobert - have a Turkey Red of him.

A quote from Huey Fullerton and Alexander's detailed description of his own injury in September of 1915 were very interesting.

clydepepper
07-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Was just reading this thread for the first time...astounded that it took until page 3 for someone to list this classic book! Also loved Kinsella's The Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

Cheers,
Blair

I tried real hard to like the two Kinsella books. Shoeless Joe lost me when he built only left-field...truly odd.

I took more time on the Iowa Baseball Confederacy - actually finished it...but when you have a statue playing right-field and a time-traveling balloon landing in center...just too much.

Bored5000
07-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Eddie- Thanks for the 'pep' talk by way of a positive review on what lies ahead in this book. I am enjoying it a little more.

I didn't want to give you too much of a "spoiler" about the book, but your post about the repeated mentions of GCA wearing his cap too tight made me chuckle. Even Babe Ruth dreaded seeing Alexander come into game seven of the 1926 World Series...his cap too small for his head. :D

nebboy
07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Fiction is "The Celebrant"...wonderful book.

Non-Fiction: "Teammates" by Halberstamm is a great look at Williams, D. Dimaggio, Pesky, and Doerr.

Honorary mention: The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book.

Joshua

( The Great American Baseball card book)
I love that little book it always puts a smile on my face

bgar3
07-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I support the aforementioned, Celebrant, Universal Baseball Association, GOTT, the Great American Baseball Card Flipping ...,. Under the fiction catagory some of the best mysteries are the ones by Troy Soos, especially Murder at Fenway Park (about 1912) and The Cincinnati Red Stalkings (about 1869 memorabilia).

I also think the older classic histories are still great reads, eg, America's National Game, histories by Spink, Richter, Church and Ellard's, Baseball in Cincinnati. Newer histories like Block's Baseball Before We Knew It, and Thorn's, Baseball in the Garden of Eden are excellent

slidekellyslide
07-25-2014, 11:26 AM

Absolutely agree with this...'The Natural' is my favorite book. I love the movie too, but they are nothing alike.

Wite3
07-25-2014, 11:46 AM
I do have to mention one of the earliest histories which I found fascinating...

Jacob Morse wrote Sphere and Ash in 1888...it is arguably the earliest history of baseball. If you really enjoy the early history of baseball, this is a cool book.

Now, I think there are only two or three original copies left around in private collections (the book collectors can tell me more) but it has been reprinted twice. Both reprint versions were very limited as well and can be pricey. Have not checked amazon in a while for it but it might be there.

BTW, I think REA had one in their last auction that went for well above my paygrade (I think last I checked it was north of $3000!!).

Joshua

joeadcock
07-25-2014, 12:34 PM
"Ball Four" needs to be mentioned. Loved "Glory of their Times" also, but that's 2 Non-fiction.

Agree on the BALL FOUR

LKeeler
07-25-2014, 01:24 PM
My favorite non-fiction baseball book, and one of my favorite books ever read, is "The Ticket Out: Darryl Strawberry and The Boys of Crenshaw" by Michael Sokolove. Extremely poignant story about the lives of youngsters growing up in South Central LA and their love for the game.

Tabe
07-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Just downloaded 59 in '84 to read on vacation next week.

GREAT book. Some others:

"Crazy '08"
"Living on the Black"
"The Big Bam"
"Glory of Their Times"
"The Pitch That Killed"
"Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero"
"Ball Four"

I'm sure I'm missing tons of others. I've read lots and lots of great non-fiction baseball books. I've read hardly any poor ones - the Cobb books by (the fraud) Al Stump and Jane Leavy's awful bio of Sandy Koufax being the only two that come to mind.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Calico Joe, by John Grisham, is fiction revolving around a baseball incident. Grisham also wrote a non fiction book, The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice In A Small Town, about a minor league player, in the Yankees system, that wound up on Oklahoma's death row.
I agree this was a great book.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Spalding's World Tour is a great non-fiction book about Al Spalding's 19th century baseball tour.

uffda51
07-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Fiction - If I Never Get Back - Darryl Brock

Non - Where Nobody Knows Your Name: Life In the Minor Leagues of Baseball - John Feinstein (probably because I just finished it). GOTT is also great.

slidekellyslide
07-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Agree on the BALL FOUR

I am re-reading Ball Four after having read it about 20 years ago....the new Netflix documentary on the Portland Mavericks inspired me to dig it out.

VintageBall
07-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Our very own Hank Thomas wrote a GREAT bio about his grandfather, entitled Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train.

He had great material to draw from :)

And the writing is terrific.

JakeStahl'sGloveSHows
07-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Ahh Ball Four. Thanks for the reference. Many years since I read that but remember thoroughly enjoying it. Will need to re-read.

In 1972 I was 11 and in the hospital recovering from an emergency appendectomy. An Aunt gave me a copy of "This Great Game". It took my youthful love of baseball to another level. Hands down the most impactful baseball book for me. The photos were extraordinary, for that time. Here's a link to an article on it:
http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/featured/this-great-game-tried-to-sell-mlb-to-the-masses

Others I've enjoyed:
Moneyball (of course)
The Bronx Zoo
5 Seasons

deadballfreaK
07-26-2014, 02:43 PM
As a deadball era fan The Glory of Their Times is far and away tops on my list, but I'll give an honorable mention to the late Jim Brosnan's The Long Season. Ball Four basically followed that book with a little more spice.

Haven't read much fiction. I'll take another book that has not been mentioned: The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant by Douglas Wallop. As a Yankee hater it had me from the title. I also like the movie Damn Yankees based off it, although it has a song or two that are clunkers.

WhenItWasAHobby
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM

I agree both are the best for each baseball era.

Best fiction I've read was Pete Rose's autobiography "My Story" where he adamantly denies gambling on baseball. (Of course he admitted he did gamble on games several years later).

clydepepper
07-26-2014, 05:47 PM
The book that provided me with the most 'new' information at the time was the first Historical Abstract.

It was also broken up into bit-sized pieces for a ADD-type like myself: The ultimate easy read!

tjv815
07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
For myself,being a Red Sox fan, it's Faithful by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan. There are so many great books out there and I am with everyone giving a thumbs up on Glory of Their Times.
For fiction, I have to go with The Natural
This thread is great. I have been out for a while, recovering from a health related issue. I love to read, and being a teacher and a coach, and a married father of three, I don't have much free time. But I have done more reading this year than any I can recently remember. A lot of good next reads have been mentioned. I'm really leaning toward the Luckiest Man book as my next read.
TJ

Tabe
07-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Our very own Hank Thomas wrote a GREAT bio about his grandfather, entitled Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train.

He had great material to draw from :)

And the writing is terrific.

Yes! I highly recommend this one as well. Really, really great book.

Wildfireschulte
07-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Great post - I agree that all the books named are worth a read. My picks:
Fiction: The Celebrant is hands down the best - the discussion is really about 2nd best. My pick is Eliot Asinof's (of Eight Men Out fame) "Man on Spikes" - will tug the heart strings like Mark Harris' series - Ring Lardner's "You Know me Al" is right behind - hilarious book.

Non-Fiction: The list of great ones is vast - anything from Joe Durso (Stengal and McGraw books come to mind) is outstanding, but I'll go with James T. Farrell's "My Baseball Diary". All of his fictional books have some baseball content including Studs Lonigan, another great read.

irishdenny
07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Very Surprised that No One's Mentioned(at lest I didn't See it mentioned in the thread!?)
"The Old Ball Game", it's about How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball!
I thought it to be a Very Enjoyable Easy Read!
Frank Deford did a Wonderful Job Characterizing Matty & McGraw...
I Highly Recommend it!!!

BosseFieldBoy
07-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Cobb biography by Al Stump...although I don't know if it's better characterized as fiction or non-fiction.

cubsguy1969
07-27-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned this for fiction. Tom DeLillo's novel "Underworld," which isn't really a baseball book, opens with a novella he wrote called "Pafko at the Wall" about "The Shot Heard Round the World." It's an amazing piece of writing. The opening is about a young boy who catches the homerun ball, and the ball is referenced continually through the book, which is a larger story.
Great novel, though it's been years since I read it. need to dig it out and read it again.
Rob

Hankphenom
07-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes! I highly recommend this one as well. Really, really great book.

Thanks so much, guys. Made my day!

GehrigFan
07-28-2014, 08:01 AM
One I am reading now is a very early book by Cap Anson. It is "A Ball Player's Career Being the Personal Experiences and Reminiscensces of Adrian C. Anson." Seach amazon under "adrian anson" and it will come up. Right now, it is available as a free Kindle download. You don't need a kindle to read it. Android, iPhone and tablet/pad users can download a Kindle app for free off amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Career-Personal-Experiences-Reminiscensces-ebook/dp/B0082ZI8F4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406555910&sr=8-3&keywords=adrian+anson

I also have been reading some of the earlier biographies on Lou Gehrig, my personal favorite. They were simple, and written more for young boys probably, but I love the innocence of the books and the stories about Lou's early life.

clydepepper
08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks to all for helping me (not) curb my addition to Baseball Books. I picked up 'The Celebrant', 'The Universal Baseball Association', and Henry Thomas's bio of his grandfather, Walter Johnson. I look forward to loosing myself in the pages of each.

I also came across and purchased what looks like a great read, 'Baseball in the Garden of Eden' 'The Secret History of the Early Game' - by John Thorn

I may have to miss a few Braves' games to get all this read. Maybe it's not too late for me to learn how to multi-task...oh well, we will see...

autocentral
08-01-2014, 07:45 PM
The Soul of Baseball is a great book. Very different from the rest of the great baseball books.

-Nick

almostdone
08-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm surprised "Miracle Ball" hasn't been mentioned. Great and easy read. Very fascinating journey about the search for Bobby Thompson's shot heard round the world baseball. Would highly recommend.
Drew

AMBST95
08-01-2014, 08:43 PM
A lot of good books. I'm currently reading, "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey: How Brewers, Barkeeps, Rowdies, Immigrants, and a Wild Pennant Fight Made Baseball America's Game" by Edward Achorn,

It's been a pretty good read, following the 1883 American Association pennant race from a St Louis approach. For someone who knows very little about 19th century baseball, it's been enjoyable.

Tabe
08-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Cobb biography by Al Stump...although I don't know if it's better characterized as fiction or non-fiction.

Fiction. Definitely fiction. Stump is nothing but a fraud.

Dewey
05-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Two year old thread bump. :confused:

Compiling my summer reading list. (I'm a teacher.) Came across this thread. Great suggestions. Just picked up Eig's book on Jackie Robinson's first season and Kinsella's Iowa's Baseball Conspiracy at a local used bookstore.

Recommend: A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Brothers K (not by Dostoevsky). Two great works of fiction tangentially related to baseball.

VintageJay
05-15-2016, 01:33 AM
I'm surprised Eliot Asinof's Eight Men Out hasn't been mentioned, though I guess some would have a problem choosing it as fiction or non-fiction.

The Glory of Their Times was edited more than written by Lawrence Ritter, so I would go with Jonathan Eig's "Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig" as the greatest non-fiction work that I have ever read.
Eig's book on Capone is also well researched.

egri
05-15-2016, 05:50 AM
If murder mysteries are your thing, I recommend the Mickey Rawlings series by Troy Soos. They're set around the end of the Dead Ball era/beginning of the live ball era. Soos does a great job of recreating the time period.

deadballfreaK
05-21-2016, 12:05 AM
Well, I keep hearing "the Celebrant". Never heard of it, but looked it up on Amazon and for a penny and 4 bucks shipping I am the proud owner of a nice copy. Got it in today's mail, but too tired to start right now. It looks very promising.

rgpete
05-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Wally Yonamine from Hawaii The man who changed Japanese Baseball

ajjohnsonsoxfan
05-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Ty Cobb - A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen is really good. Debunks using modern research methods most of what we thought we knew about Cobb. Lots of amazing detail about the players we talk about daily here on net54.

Yoda
05-21-2016, 10:33 AM
For fiction, like many, have to go with "The Natural." What a tale!
For non fiction, "Matty and McGraw" by Frank Deford, but I might be prejudiced since my daughter, Lauren, is married to Chris, Frank's son. My copy has a nice personal inscription from Frank. What a nice man.

slipk1068
05-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Short stories and fiction read Horseshoes or Alibi Ike by Ring Lardner? Good stuff :)

slipk1068
05-21-2016, 11:37 AM
I will mention this one because it should be included.

Baseball When the Grass Was Real by Donald Honig

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Two books by Robert Creamer come to mind, one about Babe Ruth and the other focused on the 1941 season. I am not home at the moment to name the exact titles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ngrow9
05-21-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm partial to this one, myself, but I may be a tad bit biased:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jAp7UaFfL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Trial-Baseballs-Antitrust-Exemption/dp/0252079752/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1390429522&sr=8-10&keywords=baseball+on+trial

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Fiction - Shoeless Joe

Non-fiction - Spalding's World Tour

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jerseygary
05-22-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm rather partial to this book, though I have to admit, I wrote, illustrated and designed it...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/jerseygary/1_LEAGUE%20OF%20OUTSIDER%20BASEBALL-4_zpsfp1lrpgc.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/jerseygary/8b_LEAGUE%20OF%20OUTSIDER%20BASEBALL-9_zpsbsvj4phj.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/jerseygary/2_LEAGUE%20OF%20OUTSIDER%20BASEBALL-11_zpsk8n32rmw.jpg

scotgreb
06-03-2016, 06:07 PM
I just finished listening to "The Glory of Their Times" and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fairly cheap on Audible and helped fill a few otherwise uneventful days of commuting.

It was great to hear several "old timers" being interviewed -- particularly Hans Lobert, Richard Marquard, and Fred Snodgrass.

Scott

RTK
06-04-2016, 06:45 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6d/The_Soul_of_Baseball.jpg/220px-The_Soul_of_Baseball.jpg

A wonderful book not just about baseball but about life in general and one of the finest people to have lived on this earth, Buck O'Neil. It's a book I'll probably pick up and reread passages from over time.

RTK
06-04-2016, 06:54 AM
The O'Neil book is almost a collection of life changing parables, a collection of Buck's baseball stories intertwined with life lessons. A really good read is Montville's Williams book.You get into the mind and era of a great hitter.
http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320433152l/410841.jpg

RTK
06-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Another good book, at times myth busting, attempts at redemption, what could have been, colossal jerk...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517iYb4xunL.jpg

Tabe
06-05-2016, 12:11 AM
The O'Neil book is almost a collection of life changing parables, a collection of Buck's baseball stories intertwined with life lessons. A really good read is Montville's Williams book.You get into the mind and era of a great hitter.
http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320433152l/410841.jpg

This one is GREAT.

Tennis13
06-05-2016, 12:23 PM
A touch dated, but if anyone has any kids, when I was growing up I used to read every Matt Christopher book that was out there. Obviously, not age appropriate for us now, but if anyone has any kids, I loved that guy's stuff.

Louieman
06-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Though tangential in the theme of baseball, I still would have to second DeLillo's Underworld as the best. Or for a fiction book more baseball-centric, Bang the Drum Slowly.

Tabe
06-13-2016, 05:04 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512L6t9CiAL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just finished "Fall From Grace", Tim Hornbaker's new biography of Shoeless Joe Jackson and it's terrific. Highly recommended.