PDA

View Full Version : 1941 Baseball Players Association Convention Photo

daves_resale_shop
07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I was asked to do some research on this one for the gent who has been kind enough to part with some items recently... it pretty big (almost 2ft wide, by 16 inches high..

the left caption reads: sixth annual convention fo the veteran baseball players association of America. Eagle Hall Torrington CT January 13, 1941

Really nice shot with some interesting display pieces in the room, but I cant seem to find a recognizable face...

Anyone ever seen one of these before? do they have any value???

Appreciate the help in advance,
Dave

drcy
07-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I haven't seen another example. Strictly by it's large size and display value it will have value. All other qualities and things equivalent (age, content, condition, etc), the bigger the photo the more valuable and usually the rarer, and that's a very large photo. It would have been displayed somewhere, perhaps at the association's offices or in a member's home. Obviously if it has some recognizable people that would add value a lot, but it's still an interesting looking historical baseball display piece, and no doubt rare. Of course there's always demand and premium in value for Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb et all, but a photo doesn't have to have famous people in it to have value.

daves_resale_shop
07-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it... I just don't see any familiar faces perhaps this was just a get together of sorts for former minor leaguers???

drcy
07-23-2014, 10:06 PM
I googled and the Veteran Baseball Players Association did involve former major leaguers. I saw old newspaper articles that mentioned that retired Ed Walsh and Grover Alexander were members and Walsh received a small pension from them. If it included all pros, then they could be a lot of minor leaguers in the photo. I'm no historical expert on the group.