PDA

View Full Version : Autograph Queston

bradmar48
07-23-2014, 05:14 PM
In the next week I'll be going to Boston for a Red Sox/Yankee series.
Part of my deal is to meet each day with some of the Red Sox players
for autographs and general discussions.My question to those of you that collect
autograph baseballs is what type of pen and color is best for me to take for the autographing of basrballs.

39special
07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
A blue bic.Black tends to fade.

mcgwirecom
07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
make sure you pay the extra $$ for REAL MLB baseballs. They make a replica version that looks the same but is cheaper. Its made in China. No matter what you sign it with it will fade, quickly!

bradmar48
07-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll pick up a pack of blue Bic pens.
I already have some official MLB baseballs.

Keith

Deertick
07-23-2014, 07:09 PM
A blue bic.Black tends to fade.

And NOT gel or fine point. A plain ole medium Bic. And break it in before the big moment (doodle while you're waiting). I've had a few horrifying situations where my pen wouldn't work correctly and the player borrows a purple marker from some other schmuck to sign my item.

Klrdds
07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Definitely a plain old blue medium Bic pen and carry extras with you. Agree with getting official MLB baseballs....they are worth the extra money. One trick I started doing 25 years ago was to use the enclosed rice paper/tissue paper that came in the box to wipe the ball off well, and to make sure my hands were clean, dry and not sweaty , as I found that these things could contribute to the ball spotting/ toning with time. If the ball paper wrapper wasn't available I used paper towels...I just kept some in my pocket to wipe the ball off and keep my hands dry . Also I tried to handle the ball by the seams only.
This may sound obsessive but I have over 400 autographed baseballs and the ones I have done this with look as good as the day they were signed.
Good Luck

Michael B
07-23-2014, 08:20 PM
I agree with the Bic pens. Papermate write bros. pens are also pretty good. I also used to use a Cross pen which always worked. Backups on any pen is always a safe bet.

shelly
07-23-2014, 08:37 PM
The player will tell you what he likes to sign with. Bring the store.:)
Not only that dont take the ball out of the box. Let the player tell you how he wants to sign