PDA

View Full Version : Anti-COA's (COUA's)

Runscott
07-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Wonder if there would be any use in creating COA's stating that an autographed item is bad. Not for everything, but perhaps things that have COA's from a major TPA that are expensive. An 'undetermined number' of 'undetermined individuals' on this forum would have to be in agreement as to the item's fakeness.

We could have anti-COA images on a searchable site somewhere so that forum members could check on high-$ items they are thinking about purchasing or bidding on.

I guess the down-side to such a venture would be lawsuits and being banned from various auction houses :(

shelly
07-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Why, would you be sued. The tpa's can't even be arrested. Your saying what you think at no cost and they are saying what they think at a price.

I think if you pay for an item to authenticated and it turns out to be a fake of any kind. The company that authenticated it should be held responsible. Maybe then we will see items we feel are not authenticated not be passed so quickly.:)

Lordstan
07-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't think it's needed as these forums and others like it hopefully will serve a resources for those doing research.
The problem is that too many seem to want to rely on TPAs to do the research for them. I fear that they saying would be "If you build it, only a few will come"

Runscott
07-23-2014, 02:18 PM
It was sort of tongue-in-cheek. After the 'Grove sheet' discussion, I'm thinking of the collectors who rely completely on a COA. Rather than argue with them about the validity of an autograph, present them with an anti-COA.

Lordstan
07-23-2014, 02:30 PM
I figured, but, a while back, I did post the thought of an authenticity question subforum where we could start thread for each player where people could ask question and get replies either with +1s or -1s and they could be left up as learning tools.

Runscott
07-24-2014, 10:09 AM
I figured, but, a while back, I did post the thought of an authenticity question subforum where we could start thread for each player where people could ask question and get replies either with +1s or -1s and they could be left up as learning tools.

I don't remember the response to your idea, but one potential problem I see is illustrated by the recent 'Grove sheet' thread. If I hadn't posted the thread would probably have died, containing nothing but a bunch of attaboys for the item. Would have sucked if that had been the 'Grove' or 'Foxx' thread.

There are only a few people who are recognized as experts on each player's autograph, who post their opinions here. If they don't participate in a thread, it then just becomes a matter of what a forger can pass by the masses. We've seen that they can pass some real crap.

But I see the anti-COA thing as being completely different - it would be for specific autographs of high value, that have COA's.

Lordstan
07-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Well, my idea relied upon Leon being able to turn on a thumbs up or thumbs down feature on the board software. That way we could vote, once and only once, yes or no without having to elaborate. Each individual would then be able to put another post on describing why they think the way they do. I think those that don't like to post opinions due to the possibility of squabbling might be more willing to just give an anonymous yes or no.

shelly
07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
great idea