PDA

View Full Version : !954 Bowman Football Chandnois 49A & 49B

metroac
07-22-2014, 07:53 AM
What is the error on the '54 Bowman Chandnois card? I know the error on the '55 Bowman card is the misspelling of his last name as "Chadnois." but what is the error on the '54? Can anyone explain?

I've done some further checking around. The back of the card refers to him as "Shad" -- which is how I believe his name was pronouced, with a soft "sh" sound, not the hard "ch." Does anyone have a version that has "Chad" as the first word of the text on the reverse?

-----

Mystery solved. I found a copy of the error card on eBay -- from Joe Colabella aka vintagefootballcardguy. The error card has "Chadnois" in the football on the reverse; the correct version has the correct spelling "Chandnois." So, Bowman spelled his name correctly from 1951-53, misspelled it in '54 and corrected it to create a variation card, then misspelled it again in '55 and didn't bother to correct it. A steady decline in quality control!

Thanks again!

Sliphorn
12-25-2014, 10:44 AM
The error is on the back as one version has it "Chadnois" and the corrected version has "Chandnois". What a name! I am new to the site and have tried to upload the scan of my pair. Wish me luck!