PDA

View Full Version : New Member + question about 1917 Boston Store card

sportscardstop
07-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Hi,

New member here. I have been a member on the PSA boards for a few years. One thing I enjoy is picking up raw vintage and submitting it for grading. I sell a majority of what I submit, but I do hang on to a few cards that I like.

I did have a question about the value of a card. I have a 1917 Boston Store Tris Speaker SGC 30. VCP only has 1 sale from around 2009.

Any ideas on what this card would go for in this grade? Past sales have been difficult to find.

Thanks
Robert

almostdone
07-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the boards. I can't help with your question but did want to let you know your thread title lists the date as 1971, not 1917. Might get more response from the knowledgable members.
Drew

Leon
07-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the boards. I can't help with your question but did want to let you know your thread title lists the date as 1971, not 1917. Might get more response from the knowledgable members.
Drew

it was a typo so I changed it to help...also, best way to get value would be in a well publicized auction somewhere, imo....it's a scarce card no doubt..

the 'stache
07-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Hello, Robert. First of all, welcome to the forum!

What do the population reports show for this card? How many in total have been graded by PSA?

Have you checked Ebay's history for the card in question? If you can't find any recent examples of this particular card selling, you have a few options. Basically, you can try to establish the market for the card. Look to see if there are any other similar cards to yours, and see what they might have sold for. Barring that, if you're absolutely set on selling the card, you might start an auction for the card with a reserve figure that you feel comfortable with. Or, you could put a high BIN on the card, and see what kind of offers come in. It may take a while, but eventually, you should start getting an idea where those in the market for this card value it.

The first thing I would do is put a high quality scan of the card, front and back side, in this topic, and ask for people to give you some feedback on where they like the card, price wise. They can do so in this discussion, or they can message you privately if they prefer. But I would definitely let the collectors on this forum have a look at it. The card's scarcity along with the condition of the card itself will help Net54's experienced collectors give you an idea where to start.

I look forward to seeing your card. Good luck with your sale!

Bill

the 'stache
07-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Ebay is only showing 4 1917 Boston Store cards sold recently (going back to May of this year). They're all common players, with Chief Myers being the most recognizable name. That card, a SGC fair 1.5, was being sold at $199, but the seller accepted a best offer.

If you're not in a rush to sell it, Leon's idea is a good one. You might consult with a top Auction House.

sportscardstop
07-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Here is a scan of the card, front and back. Thanks for editing the title of this thread as well.

PSA has graded 2 cards. One was a 2, one was a 5.
SGC has graded 4 including mine. 1 SGC 20, 2 SGC 30, 1 SGC 45.

EDIT: the only sale on vcp was 1/25/08 in the Sloate Auction for $1535. I am not familiar with that auction. Was it a well publicized auction?

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/jr24ai33/img178_zps22fe36b5.jpg
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/jr24ai33/img179_zpscd994bc9.jpg

Bestdj777
07-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Welcome aboard. I believe Barry Sloate is still a member here?

Unfortunately, whether or not it was/was not likely won't matter all that much for purposes of assessing the value on this card for two reasons. First, it was sold back in 2008 when the hobby was in a much different shape. Second, for very rare cards like the one you have, you cannot always get an accurate assessment of the value by looking at just one auction. A lot of the value for rare cards like that depends on the actual demand for the card. There may only be two people out there that want that card for their collections. They both may have bid on it in the Sloate auction driving the price up. That leaves only one collector left that is in the market for one, and you may not see a strong price through an auction. You just never know.

MattyC
07-18-2014, 11:04 PM
With such little past sales data and the data being dated at that, can pretty much toss data out the window. All depends on who is after it today and what their budget is-- could sell for way more than the last offering. Only way to find out is to put it up for sale/auction where the eyeballs are and let the collectors slug it out ;)

bcbgcbrcb
07-19-2014, 02:55 AM
I would guess $300 - $500, maybe a little more..........

barrysloate
07-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Here is a scan of the card, front and back. Thanks for editing the title of this thread as well.

PSA has graded 2 cards. One was a 2, one was a 5.
SGC has graded 4 including mine. 1 SGC 20, 2 SGC 30, 1 SGC 45.

EDIT: the only sale on vcp was 1/25/08 in the Sloate Auction for $1535. I am not familiar with that auction. Was it a well publicized auction?

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/jr24ai33/img178_zps22fe36b5.jpg
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/jr24ai33/img179_zpscd994bc9.jpg

Hopefully it was well publicized, that was my goal. Good luck with the card, it is a scarce one.

Leon
07-19-2014, 07:11 AM
I would guess $300 - $500, maybe a little more..........

That would be my ballpark estimate too.

sportscardstop
07-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I might message a couple auction houses just to see what they think. If all else fails, I will probably throw it up on Ebay and take offers.

Bestdj777
07-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I might message a couple auction houses just to see what they think. If all else fails, I will probably throw it up on Ebay and take offers.

You likely are not going to get a better opinion on the value by reaching out to any of the auction houses. For what it is worth, Leon runs a very good auction house and has one of the better collections of oddball cards out there. I'd trust his judgement on value before I'd trust someone looking for you to select his shop.

In my opinion your best bet is to list it on eBay and hear a few offers.

ethicsprof
07-20-2014, 10:25 AM
welcome aboard and congrats on being able to wake up Barry S. :)

all the best,
barry

barrysloate
07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Zzzzzzzzzz...........:)

jbsports33
07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the board, we have had these Boston Store issues in the past and the Hall of Famers always go for way more - they can be very scarce

Keep it for now until you get more price history - this would be at least a 600.00 asking price tag at the Boston Show, but you need to do more research

just like anything, the card could only be worth 300.00-400.00 in California

Great card!

Jimmy