PDA

View Full Version : Help shutting down a fake Goudey DiMaggio Please

danmckee
07-18-2014, 08:30 AM
After 6 years of policing the Baseball card category for free, ebay has expired my rights to shut down fakes. So maybe if enough of us file reports they will shut this blatant fake down. Thanks for your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-GOUDEY-JOE-DIMAGIO-ROOKIE-CARD-/161368105654?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item259249e2b6

Here is a similar fake being properly advertised:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Dimaggio-1938-Goudey-Rookie-Reprint-In-Good-Condition-/251589834193?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a93ec35d1

Batter67up
07-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Dan,

I just reported it. I hope that if numerous people report it that it will be removed

GoldenAge50s
07-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Reported!

veleno45
07-18-2014, 09:27 AM
But he guarantees it..in all caps even.

"THIS IS AN ORIGINAL GUARANTEED."

Mountaineer1999
07-18-2014, 10:34 AM
I reported it, but wouldn't have been able to tell it was a fake from the picture. This is why I cant buy raw cards.

veleno45
07-18-2014, 10:55 AM
I reported it, but wouldn't have been able to tell it was a fake from the picture. This is why I cant buy raw cards.

I can't either Donnie, which is why I am constantly the idiot on the boards asking "what are you seeing" or "please explain how you know". I am learning a lot from everyone here but I am with you, I still cannot tell most the time until someone says what exactly they are looking at.

Mountaineer1999
07-18-2014, 11:01 AM
I can't either Donnie, which is why I am constantly the idiot on the boards asking "what are you seeing" or "please explain how you know". I am learning a lot from everyone here but I am with you, I still cannot tell most the time until someone says what exactly they are looking at.

Haha... So I'm not alone Learning curves. :D

KCRfan1
07-18-2014, 11:14 AM
" I guarantee it is real, but I will not offer you the option to return it ". To boot, the card is sent parcel select! How about First Class or FedEx so the card can be tracked. It would be a shame if the card " got lost in the mail "...Silly sellers.

danmckee
07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone, it is an obvious fake, the background on a 1938 Goudey should be the same color as the borders, also, you can clearly see the printed on fake paper cracking.

Yea only buy graded cards, you can buy the color Fro Joys that PSA graded and feel confident you have originals.

Or all of the repro'd post cards SGC was grading until I said something here on NET54.

Dan

calvindog
07-18-2014, 11:33 AM
After 6 years of policing the Baseball card category for free, ebay has expired my rights to shut down fakes. So maybe if enough of us file reports they will shut this blatant fake down. Thanks for your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-GOUDEY-JOE-DIMAGIO-ROOKIE-CARD-/161368105654?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item259249e2b6

Yeah but that Ruth looks pretty sweet.

danmckee
07-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Ha! your right Jeff! A real Gemmy! Will u be in Cleveland?

veleno45
07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone, it is an obvious fake, the background on a 1938 Goudey should be the same color as the borders, also, you can clearly see the printed on fake paper cracking.

Yea only buy graded cards, you can buy the color Fro Joys that PSA graded and feel confident you have originals.

Or all of the repro'd post cards SGC was grading until I said something here on NET54.

Dan

Thanks Dan. The info is always helpful.

Mountaineer1999
07-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Dan

So don't buy graded cards either. What have I gotten myself into.

danmckee
07-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Nah you can buy both of course. What I am trying to say is educate yourself because those so called grading experts aren't as well versed as you may think.

;)

GoldenAge50s
07-18-2014, 02:13 PM
We need a couple more to report it--it's still up!

calvindog
07-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Ha! your right Jeff! A real Gemmy! Will u be in Cleveland?

Dan, undirtunatley no. Too much work. Very sad to be missing it.

Gobucsmagic74
07-18-2014, 04:17 PM
His response to me. "I will take it down, how can you tell it is fake?"

Gobucsmagic74
07-18-2014, 07:05 PM
He pulled it.

clydepepper
07-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Quote :

"I AM ENDING THIS EARLY, I AM NOT A DEALER AND HAVE BEEN RUDELY INFORMED BY A FEW PROFESSIONALS THAT THESE TWO CARDS ARE NOT ORIGINAL."

A simple 'Thank You' would have sufficed.

Gobucsmagic74
07-18-2014, 08:42 PM
I got this:

"well I did take it down when I got three emails in one day, prior to that I was unaware it was a reprint. I looked carefully at several cards, Dimagio and ruth before I bought the cards and now, and for the life of me I see no difference. I am not a dealer and sell occasionally on ebay and buy off and on. I messed up and paid way too much for this card from a guy who told me they were authentic. I talked off and on with him for over a month, did not make an impulse purchase and he didn’t badger me to buy. But as I said I can not tell the difference between a fake and real. Every reprint I saw is printed reprint, so I majorly screwed up. I cannot believe people out there cannot understand that a non dealer can easily be fooled and that it is not necessarily a scammer reselling a card like this."

I never called him a scammer btw, I just informed him his cards weren't originals. Oh well...

Leon
07-19-2014, 08:19 PM
I got this:

"well I did take it down when I got three emails in one day, prior to that I was unaware it was a reprint. I looked carefully at several cards, Dimagio and ruth before I bought the cards and now, and for the life of me I see no difference. I am not a dealer and sell occasionally on ebay and buy off and on. I messed up and paid way too much for this card from a guy who told me they were authentic. I talked off and on with him for over a month, did not make an impulse purchase and he didn’t badger me to buy. But as I said I can not tell the difference between a fake and real. Every reprint I saw is printed reprint, so I majorly screwed up. I cannot believe people out there cannot understand that a non dealer can easily be fooled and that it is not necessarily a scammer reselling a card like this."

I never called him a scammer btw, I just informed him his cards weren't originals. Oh well...

I think this happens a lot.....I can't say how many times someone will tell me that x number of dealers and local card shop owners tell them something is authentic, when it isn't. It's even happened on this board occasionally (with new people coming on, usually).