PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for a Tony Gwynn shout-out.....

111gecko
07-16-2014, 07:55 AM
So bad....15 time All-Star can't get a simple mention? Fox/MLB really dropped the ball on this one. I am a big Jeter fan, but anyway we could have a cut just a minute of his tribute to recognize one of the greatest, not to mention classiest players ever to play the game?..

-1 for this year's telecast.

itjclarke
07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
A short Gwynn tribute would have been fitting. Think they had something quick for Kiner.

IMO Fox's sports coverage has always been outclassed by the other big 3 networks. Not that ABC/CBS/NBC are perfect, but I prefer their lesser produced broadcasts. Fox has stuff like that stupid dancing robot and sound effects in football highlights.. they use their football music for baseball games and their lead announcers (Joe Buck especially) and reporters (Erin Andrews, Ken Rosenthal) just annoy me.

I have old NBC WS broadcasts taped, like Game 6 of the '86 WS, and NBC was so classy. Costas reporting, Vin Scully doing play by play, minimal production (no idea why sports is so overproduced now), and a great little baseball theme/intro song.

jhs5120
07-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Not trying to defend FOX, worst coverage in sports, but they did a great pregame tribute..

Mountaineer1999
07-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Agree 100% ... and now they've turned me against Jeter. What an overblown "jeter' night.

sycks22
07-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Being at the game last night I can attest to the fact that there wasn't any tribute to Gwynn at the game and outside of a couple of standing ovations there was nothing special done for Jeter. It was amazing seeing all of that talent on the field at one time. The next game I go to will have Sam Fuld and Oswaldo Arcia instead of Stanton or McCutchen, pretty depressing.

z28jd
07-16-2014, 02:19 PM
I hope the next long-time Yankee that decides to retire, does it at the end of the season so every moment doesn't become a "hey look at me" moment. It really does make you hate the player because you hear about him the entire season, same for Rivera last year. It's probably worse when you are local, so people not around NY might not be getting the full brunt of it all season, but it's really annoying to those people that aren't fans. You can't just say well turn it off, because that would mean turning off everything and as someone who writes about baseball for a living, that's not an option.

We get it, he was a good player for a long time, somewhere in the 7-10 range for all-time Yankees, which is an amazing group to be with. Don't suffocate us with him ALL.THE.TIME.

jhs5120
07-16-2014, 02:26 PM
I hope the next long-time Yankee that decides to retire, does it at the end of the season so every moment doesn't become a "hey look at me" moment. It really does make you hate the player because you hear about him the entire season, same for Rivera last year. It's probably worse when you are local, so people not around NY might not be getting the full brunt of it all season, but it's really annoying to those people that aren't fans. You can't just say well turn it off, because that would mean turning off everything and as someone who writes about baseball for a living, that's not an option.

We get it, he was a good player for a long time, somewhere in the 7-10 range for all-time Yankees, which is an amazing group to be with. Don't suffocate us with him ALL.THE.TIME.

YEAH! Screw Chipper Jones!

z28jd
07-16-2014, 02:34 PM
YEAH! Screw Chipper Jones!

I know a lot of Mets fans were mad that the team honored him last year. If I heard half the stuff on Jones as I did on Jeter and Rivera, I would have been sick of his tributes too. Thankfully, I didn't

ErikV
07-16-2014, 02:38 PM
By no means am I here to defend Fox. For their part, they claim they
honored Tony Gywnn during the All-Star pregame programming - http://pulse.me/s/1Lr1tI

Personally I could care not one bit for the circus atmosphere they call
Fanfest during every All-Star break. Call me a purist, but this commercialized
event as it now has become - complete with driving players and the families
into the stadium on a red carpet was a bit over the top. I won't even start up
with the silly homerun derby contest. Simply put, the whole thing is redicilious.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.

ErikV

HRBAKER
07-16-2014, 05:46 PM
All that and we still have the pukefest called The ESPYs tonight!

Runscott
07-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Can you imagine how Lebron James will milk his last season? I bet they give tributes to him in baseball and football stadiums...maybe even golf courses and NASCAR races.

Tabe
07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
In his defense, Lebron did absolutely nothing wrong with his free agency this time around. No "look at me" nonsense, it wasn't protracted, his team choice was announced in a low-key fashion, etc. Yeah, there was a ton of noise and drama around it but NONE of it came from Lebron himself. Basically, he flew around, met with various teams, took a total of about 2 weeks to decide, and that was it.

Batter67up
07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Jeter is talked about so much because he is a hard-workin old-school player that is not part of the PED Cheating players of today. He has a clean image unlike the guys like Rodney with a crooked hat and shooting an arrow when he gets his 3rd out of the inning. Other than Trout, I do not see any classy team orientated players coming up. The players in the game today don't have the respect for the game and of past players that has helped them get the money they are making today. Jeter was acknowledged but he was appreciative and did not act like he deserved it. Narcissism is a typical trait with the current players of today but not in Jeter. For all the Yankee haters I know it is tough when he comes to your city for the last go around and is cheered louder than the home team. I am from California and not a New Yorker. Respect is earned.