PDA

View Full Version : Fun at Chantilly!

journeyto407
07-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Had a BLAST this weekend at the Chantilly card show. I collected all during my teen years and never went to a card show, so my oldest two and my dad went and were blown away at the inventory, unique items, and overall friendliness and comradery of the vendors and the patrons.

Thankfully I had a realistic vision of what to expect for prices (thanks to this forum) and while I was hoping to pick up some 52 Topps...I couldn't justify paying 3-4 times more than I can get on eBay. There was a $5/card stack of 52's at one vendor in fair/good condition and tried to haggle to 3 for $15, but he didn't budge.

If you haven't been and are close, it was worth it.

But just being at the show, looking at all the cards and enjoying it was another reminder of why I collect...to have fun and make memories! So we can now take the 'card money' we have left and pick up some 52 Topps deals online. We did however get a box of 2013 Topps box and had fun breaking it at McDonalds:-)

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q554/pondpublishing/100_3064s_zpsc8f14d68.jpg

Rich Klein
07-14-2014, 06:54 AM
isn't $5 per the card the same as 3 for$15

journeyto407
07-14-2014, 06:58 AM
isn't $5 per the card the same as 3 for$15

Ha - yes, in regular math it certainly is!

I meant 3 for $10...hello Monday morning!

Republicaninmass
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Glad you had fun, but wished you had found some cards!

journeyto407
07-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Glad you had fun, but wished you had found some cards!

LOL - I "found" plenty of cards, it was the buying that was the problem;-)

CW
07-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the report! Nice to see you can still attend a somewhat thriving show, and good to hear all the vendors were friendly.

And where's Dad's BYU gear??! ;) :D (hopefully that's a BYU hat he's wearing...)

journeyto407
07-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the report! Nice to see you can still attend a somewhat thriving show, and good to hear all the vendors were friendly.

And where's Dad's BYU gear??! ;) :D (hopefully that's a BYU hat he's wearing...)

Haha - unfortunately not. It was a Cowboys hat...but I still love him:)

Rich Klein
07-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Is less than 10 percent of Beckett prices for the easiest series commons.

If I had an inventory of those cards, the only way you would get that price would be to purchase every one of those cards I marked at $4-8 with the understanding that was a quantity discount.

But I would not let you pick and choose your cards at that price.

And when you say that is EBay pricing for commons, are you including any shipping costs?

Rich

journeyto407
07-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Is less than 10 percent of Beckett prices for the easiest series commons.

If I had an inventory of those cards, the only way you would get that price would be to purchase every one of those cards I marked at $4-8 with the understanding that was a quantity discount.

But I would not let you pick and choose your cards at that price.

And when you say that is EBay pricing for commons, are you including any shipping costs?

Rich

That's a good point about picking and choosing...I personally am at the beginning of the journey, so doesn't matter which ones I get, but if I only had a specific number to go, then I can see how I would pay more.

And yes, shipping is included on those prices.

baseballfan
07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Nice blog I look froward to reading about the journey.
I have the set started as well. It's fun and I like you started In Graded then changed to raw I like them better to. I have some doubles if you interested in trading or buying

Good luck