PDA

View Full Version : OT: "The Battered Bastards of Baseball"

Deertick
07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Just finished watching on Netflix. Cool documentary about the independent Portland Mavericks (A) from the mid 70's. Very interesting and entertaining.

Buythatcard
07-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Hey Jim,

On your recommendation, I just watched the movie and loved it. Never heard of the Portland Mavericks until I watched this movie. You have to hand it to this guy Bing who stood up to the big boys of Baseball.

They can never run out of baseball stories.

Thanks for sharing.

Tabe
07-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Netflix actually sent me an email about this but I haven't watched it yet. However, my wife came across it on her own and has already watched it twice. She loved it and wants to sit down and watch it together. What can I say? I married a baseball fan :)

GHCHambone
07-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Just saw this on Netflix today, I'll have to check it out

Deertick
07-14-2014, 08:41 AM
It would really be interesting to watch The Baseball World of Joe Garagiola episodes.

Al C.risafulli
07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Jim. From the documentary (which I loved), it seemed like there was a ton of archival footage, both from the Garagiola episodes and from what appeared to be televised broadcasts. I'd love to watch them.

Another observation: Jim Bouton sure did have an unorthodox-looking pitching motion.

-Al

Jay Wolt
07-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Is "BBoB" available to view for non netflix users?
If so, where can we find it?

ZachS
07-14-2014, 01:00 PM

I added it to my queue last night and I'm pretty sure it said that this was a Netflix original movie. The only way you'll probably find a copy (for now) is if someone ripped it from Netflix and uploaded it somewhere.

Also, Netflix offers a free month trial subscription. If you really want to watch this then sign up for the free month... just make sure you cancel before your month is up or they'll charge you the $7.99 monthly rate.

Deertick
07-14-2014, 01:04 PM

I didn't know there was such a thing? :p

Zach's right it is a Netflix original.

Jay Wolt
07-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Zach & Jim, thanks for the info.

Buythatcard
07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
After you finish watching Battered Bastards of Baseball, you must watch Knuckleball. It's a documentary that focuses on Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey. It gives you a great perspective on what goes on in the mind of a knuckleball pitcher.

I've become a big fan of these knuckleball pitchers after watching this.

Buythatcard
07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
As far as "The Baseball World of Joe Garagiola", you can find some of the episodes on YouTube.

Here is one to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinlRM6Hhyg

Tabe
07-14-2014, 01:46 PM
After you finish watching Battered Bastards of Baseball, you must watch Knuckleball. It's a documentary that focuses on Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey. It gives you a great perspective on what goes on in the mind of a knuckleball pitcher.

I've become a big fan of these knuckleball pitchers after watching this.

Really? I thought that one was terrible. It's a disjointed mess of a movie that jumps all over the place. Great subject ruined by bad filmmaking.

HOFautosChris
07-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Saw the ad on tv and qued it up almost immediately. I am a sucker for any baseball documentary and this one did not let me down. I also just went through the full run of "Pecos League" on demand. A interesting look at some of the characters of the lowest level of affiliated baseball.

ZachS
07-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Finally got to watch this tonight and I loved it.

ZenPop
07-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Planning on watching it.... Anybody know if they did a doc about the Bad News Bees? The San Jose Bees team of the '80s? THAT was a collection!

the 'stache
07-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Chris, I can honestly say you are a lucky man. I haven't married yet, but if I can find a good lady who loves baseball half as much as I do, well, that would be my definition of bliss on Earth. :)

Good for you. Let us know what you think of the doc. I might just have to check that out tonight.

Netflix actually sent me an email about this but I haven't watched it yet. However, my wife came across it on her own and has already watched it twice. She loved it and wants to sit down and watch it together. What can I say? I married a baseball fan :)

packs
07-15-2014, 07:06 AM
There was an older film in the same vein called I think "Bushers" or maybe it was "Bushes". I forget. They used to play it on the MLB network back when all they did was play current games or re-broadcast old games. I want to say it centered around a Phillies farm team during the early 70s, but it could have also been the Reds.

I loved it.

Tabe
07-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Chris, I can honestly say you are a lucky man. I haven't married yet, but if I can find a good lady who loves baseball half as much as I do, well, that would be my definition of bliss on Earth. :)
I am very definitely blessed. We have season tickets for the Spokane Indians (short-season A affiliate of Texas) and she attends about 30 games a year with me (of 38). It's awesome :)

JMEnglish27
07-15-2014, 04:45 PM
There was an older film in the same vein called I think "Bushers" or maybe it was "Bushes". I forget. They used to play it on the MLB network back when all they did was play current games or re-broadcast old games. I want to say it centered around a Phillies farm team during the early 70s, but it could have also been the Reds.

I loved it.

There was a film I loved similarly that centered on the Lodi Dodgers...haven't found it or even its title since the one time I saw it in the 80's on PBS.

vthobby
07-16-2014, 07:30 PM
INCREDIBLE baseball movie. If you really love baseball, you will love this movie.

I also saw "knuckleball" and that was very cool also.

As far as "Battered" goes, who knew that Bing Russell and Kurt Russell were ballplayers? Incredible documentary that will zip by in no time as your wife wonders where you are for 80 minutes! :D

mike

Tabe
07-17-2014, 04:04 PM
As far as "Battered" goes, who knew that Bing Russell and Kurt Russell were ballplayers? Incredible documentary that will zip by in no time as your wife wonders where you are for 80 minutes! :D

mike
As mentioned above, mine will be sitting right next to me while I watch it :)

Watched about half of it last night and it's great. One minor factual inaccuracy bugged me - they stated Frank Peters was the manager during the first year of the Mavericks. He wasn't. Hank Robinson was the first manager.

Tabe
07-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Finished watching this last night and it was great. So much joy and fun in the team and it shines through during the whole movie. Great stuff on a topic I knew absolutely nothing about.

Deertick
07-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Finished watching this last night and it was great. So much joy and fun in the team and it shines through during the whole movie. Great stuff on a topic I knew absolutely nothing about.

That's what happens when you love the game. With no delusions of a MLB career (I think only 4 players including Bouton had a cup of coffee), the fun that the players are having translates into an enjoyable spectacle for the fans. Of course, the opportunity to stick it to the 'bonus babies' and MLB adds some fuel for sure. :D

baseball tourist
07-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks to the OP. Great movie!!

milkit1
07-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Fantastic movie! I was wondering if anyone knew why Jim Bouton wasnt interviewed for it? Thats my only criticism

Econteachert205
07-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Watched it then went looking for uni's or hats or any old souvenirs, very scarce it seems. Great story, filled in the missing story with Bouton nicely

matthew
07-27-2014, 04:27 PM
I thought it would be a good show to watch with the kids. Wrong. Be careful, there are a couple of F-bombs. I realize that's how some ball players talk, but I don't really think it'd be cute to hear it from my 10 year old catcher.

Tabe
07-28-2014, 09:14 PM
I thought it would be a good show to watch with the kids. Wrong. Be careful, there are a couple of F-bombs. I realize that's how some ball players talk, but I don't really think it'd be cute to hear it from my 10 year old catcher.

Yeah, I find the language a bit jarring and out-of-place.

Ghumbs
08-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Seemed like it was mainly from that bat boy turned movie director guy. And it was super out of place. He's what I like to call an awkward swearer.

Tabe
08-08-2014, 09:36 AM
For those that care, Ebbets Field Flannels now has some Portland Mavericks apparel (hats, jackets, shirts) at their site. No jerseys since EFF only does wool flannels and the Mavericks wore double knit polyester. Check it out:

www.ebbets.com

clydepepper
08-12-2014, 03:03 AM
Just watched 'Gift of the Game'. About the attempt to re-establish the Cuban baseball team originally started by Earnest Hemmingway...vey good.