PDA

View Full Version : USPS package - mailman signed for it?

07-11-2014, 03:59 PM
The card I received in the mail today was apparently signed for by the mailman and put in my mailbox. It was shipped first class with signature confirmation. Good times.

insccollectibles
07-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Wow! That's a first for me. I'm glad you still received the card.

Sean1125
07-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Mailmen can sign for it if you give permission. If not you should alert your postmaster.

Anthony S.
07-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Seeing as my mailman apparently hides in a hedge and waits for me to leave my residence before ringing my doorbell every time I have a signature required package, I'd kill for that type of service.

07-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Wow! That's a first for me. I'm glad you still received the card.

Luckily my wife happened to be at home.

Peter_Spaeth
07-11-2014, 05:02 PM
The card I received in the mail today was apparently signed for by the mailman and put in my mailbox. It was shipped first class with signature confirmation. Good times.

This happens to me with some frequency.

buymycards
07-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Your mailman is never allowed to sign for your package, even if you give them permission. The sender has paid a fee to get your signature,not the mailman's signature. Call your Post Office and file a complaint. What would happen if the package was delivered to the wrong address, or the package was damaged? Who is responsible if the mailman signs for the item?

Rick

Bocabirdman
07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Seeing as my mailman apparently hides in a hedge and waits for me to leave my residence before ringing my doorbell every time I have a signature required package, I'd kill for that type of service.

My mail carrier doesn't even bother to try, ever. A signature required package is an automatic slip in the mailbox and a run to the Post Office for me.

Jim65
07-11-2014, 08:26 PM
My mail carrier doesn't even bother to try, ever. A signature required package is an automatic slip in the mailbox and a run to the Post Office for me.

Same here, its a giant pain in the ass

kmac32
07-11-2014, 09:59 PM
I would be happy if my mailman would sign for me. He is a great guy and I definitely trust him and his ethics. Would sabe me a trip to the post office. With that said, I am sure he wouldn't do that as he always goes by the rules. We live in a gated area so the chances of theft are pretty small.

Deertick
07-11-2014, 10:00 PM

My mailman for the past 8 years, Terry, is a contract carrier who is awesome. He leaves the package AND the slip for me to sign. I just leave it in my box for the next day. He also has paid postage due for me and left me a post-it with the amount. He earns a big tip on the holidays!

kmac32
07-11-2014, 10:13 PM
My mailman for the past 8 years, Terry, is a contract carrier who is awesome. He leaves the package AND the slip for me to sign. I just leave it in my box for the next day. He also has paid postage due for me and left me a post-it with the amount. He earns a big tip on the holidays!

We always tip Isaiah for Christmas and if something is postage due, he leaves a note stating how much and we leave it in the box for him. Sometimes he takes the amount and sometimes he doesn't. He is awesome.

lug-nut
07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
hell, my postman didn't bother ringing my bell when i had signature required cards delivered. i watched him through my window never making an effort to ring bell or knock on the door. i went out and confronted him (after he walked across my lawn) and he claimed he pressed the bell and knocked on the door...he's a d&*k and i complained about him for not doing his job and walking across my lawn.

autograf
07-12-2014, 05:49 AM
UPS Store mailbox......they're always there and sign for everything from every carrier and it's a street address. Not cheap but worth the $15/mo if you get a lot. You can also call and check if you have mail. Can't do that at the P.O. On a P.O. Box.

sycks22
07-12-2014, 09:30 AM
My mailman in NC always signed for the packages himself and put them in my locked mailbox. It was great not having to schedule a redelivery and 3 days later it hasn't come and nobody knows where it is. I'm pretty sure my guy here in MN looks at the return addresses and likes to know what cards I'm getting. I once told him that in the package he's holding there's a Honus Wagner, he stopped in his tracks and I assured him "It's not that one".

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-12-2014, 02:31 PM
hell, my postman didn't bother ringing my bell when i had signature required cards delivered. i watched him through my window never making an effort to ring bell or knock on the door. i went out and confronted him (after he walked across my lawn) and he claimed he pressed the bell and knocked on the door...he's a d&*k and i complained about him for not doing his job and walking across my lawn.

I once saw my mail man throw a box on my porch as I was walking to the door. He was shocked when I opened the door and asked him why he threw the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValKehl
07-12-2014, 09:40 PM
I live on the 3rd floor of a keypad-access seniors condo building. Ever since my wife and I moved here 1.5 years ago, I have striven to achieve a friendly relationship with our mail carrier, who is a nice guy, especially because we ship stuff we sell on eBay, and we very frequently leave our outgoing packages on the floor at the base of our building's bank of mailboxes for him to pick up and take with him.

Well, today, our doorbell rings, and it's our mail carrier with a package for me to sign for - a $600+ card I just won on eBay. As I was signing the signature card, this carrier casually mentioned that he had signed a shipment for me recently and left it in my mailbox so as to save me a trip to the Post Office to pick it up. It immediately entered my mind that this is totally inappropriate, and probably illegal as well. What to do/say? I made the instantaneous decision to smile and thank him for his thoughtfulness, as opposed to expressing my displeasure. As soon as he left, I remembered the package containing a similarly pricey bb card that I found in my mailbox a week or two ago; and I remembered being surprised at that time that I hadn't been required to sign for it; but, it didn't dawn on me that my mail carrier had signed for me - rather, I assumed the shipper didn't take the necessary action to require a signature upon delivery. Upon further reflection, I've decided I'm ok with my carrier doing this, despite the extra risk involved - but, I would feel differently if I didn't have a good relationship with this carrier.
Val

07-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I haven't decided if I'm going to make a fuss yet. If I lived in Mayberry like you guys I'd just go ahead and give the mailman a key to the house. :)

Wite3
07-13-2014, 10:45 AM
One of the unintended consequences when I moved three years ago was I lost my trusted mailman. I lived in a condo complex and the mailman was great (esp. since I had 50 stairs to get to my door!). I told him that he could sign for stuff and leave it in the locked mailbox and he told me "not allowed" but what he would do was to keep it in the locked box at our mail area and I could just sign the card he left and he would unlock it and put it in my locked box the next day...that way, the shipper had my signature and I did not have to run to the post office. He always checked to see if I was home too...big tip at the holidays...

Move to new house and we have a community mailboxes at the end of my street. Small boxes which my mailman still insists on shoving everything into. I have talked to him about that and he never comes down the street (literally, I am three houses from the corner where the boxes are) to check to see if I am home (my wife works weekends so there is someone home 4 out of the 6 days of mail service!! but he never checks)...I complained about a month ago, I could not open my box because he crammed a box of cards in there and it blocked the key from rotating the latch. Postal engineer had to come out (who knew there was such a thing!).

Last week, I saw a new postal carrier when he came to my house...I asked if the old one was on vacation and the new one said he was reassigned. I am hoping to have a nice relationship with the new carrier.

BTW, the UPS guy at my condo is the same and when we moved, the first time I saw him at the new house, he was surprised and we chatted. He has been great also and has been my UPS guy for nearly a decade now. If I am not home, he puts stuff on my table behind my gate.

Joshua