PDA

View Full Version : Player ID on some George Burke Stamps

peterose4hof
07-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Trying to ID the players on these George Burke stamps (1935-37)

Here's what I have so far...

top left Bump Hadley
top right Lee Grissom

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s393/peterose4hof/Burke.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/peterose4hof/media/Burke.jpg.html)

seattlerainiers
07-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Bottom left is Bob Johnson.

Brian Van Horn
07-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Top row:

Bump Hadley, Fritz Ostermueller, Lee Grissom.

SteveMitchell
07-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Bottom/right, I believe, is Eric McNair.

thecatspajamas
07-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Correct on all counts. I had misidentified the bottom right one in my records from when I had a large number of these previously, but on double-checking to see if I could have been wrong, found my scan of this 8x10 identified as McNair on the back. So I'm glad I tuned in even if I did miss the initial ID party :p

h2oya311
07-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Anybody have a scan (or better yet, have) a George Burke stamp of Walt Alston? He had an amazing major league career, but not as a player. He struck out in his lone AB in the majors w/ the Cardinals in '36.

According to Phil Garry, there is at least one Burke Stamp of Alston out there. Anyone got one?

peterose4hof
07-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the help. You guys are the best!

thecatspajamas
07-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Anybody have a scan (or better yet, have) a George Burke stamp of Walt Alston? He had an amazing major league career, but not as a player. He struck out in his lone AB in the majors w/ the Cardinals in '36.

According to Phil Garry, there is at least one Burke Stamp of Alston out there. Anyone got one?

Haven't seen a Burke stamp of him, but have had these previously. First two are Rowe RPPC's from Burke negatives (with less than stellar results) and third is a Bra-Mac recolored version of the first shot.

thecatspajamas
07-10-2014, 09:38 AM
FWIW, there was apparently a find of full sheets of Burke stamps a few years back for 40 or so players, quite possibly pulled from George Brace's effects after his passing. These players represent about 99% of what I have seen pop up on eBay in the last 5 years or so, and Alston is not among them. Other than that apparent cache of stamps, Burke stamps are quite scarce due to their nature of never being made available commercially or to the general public. They were sold exclusively to players, who in turn used them for correspondence, fan mail, etc. If anyone has any Burke Stamps for players other than those in the list below, I'd be interested in seeing them:

Huck Betts
Lena Blackburne
George Blaeholder
Zeke Bonura
Jim Bottomley
Sammy Byrd
Gilly Campbell
Hugh Casey
Red Corriden
Kiki Cuyler
Jimmie DeShong
Bill Dietrich
Carl Doyle
Hank Erickson
Wes Ferrell
Jimmie Foxx
Tony Freitas
Larry French
Benny Frey
Lee Grissom
Bump Hadley
Chick Hafey
Roy Henshaw
Leroy Herrmann
Al Hollingsworth
Edward Jabb
Bob L Johnson
Douglas Johnson
Si Johnson
George Kelly
Stanley Klores
Tony Lazzeri
Bill C Lee
Connie Mack Jr.
Earle Mack
Johnny Marcum
Eric McNair
Skeeter Newsome
Fritz Ostermueller
Lew Riggs
Rube Walberg
Billy Webb

jimmysuitcase
07-11-2014, 04:18 PM
After reviewing your list, I may have up to 9 more players to show you. 3 are not autographed, so I am not 100% certain of who they are, but here's the scans:

To the best of my knowledge, the auto'd players in Pic 1 are (forgive mispellings if any): Gilly Campbell, Bowler Lysien, Rabbit Warstler, & Stormy Weatherly (not sure about bottom left ID). The auto'd players in Pic 2 are John Corriden & Herman Fink (not sure about bottom two.)

jimmysuitcase
07-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Just realized how small the pics were. so here are tighter shots on the 3 I didn't know.

thecatspajamas
07-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Just realized how small the pics were. so here are tighter shots on the 3 I didn't know.

First two are Wes Ferrell and Rube Walberg (full photos shown below). Not sure about the third offhand.

Of the others, the Campbell and (Red) Corriden are in the list I gave as well.

Could you also show the Lysien, Warstler, Weatherly and Fink ones larger though?

h2oya311
07-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Fascinating stuff! And fantastic work on the ids! If anyone does ever come across an Alston, please kindly let me know.

pbspelly
07-14-2014, 03:10 PM
The third is my grandfather Billy Sullivan, Jr., taken when he was with the Reds in '35. I have that Burke stamp, as well as a big print of the original photo that he must have purchased from Burke. It's one of my favorite photos of my grandfather. There is something great about the way he's spinning the bat in his hands.