PDA

View Full Version : No-Hitter Game Used Baseballs

parker1b2
07-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Anyone have any they would like to share? I am thinking about starting to try and collect some, I know they pop up often in auctions.

Here is mine, it is from Jim Abbott's No-Hitter on 9/4/93. When I went to college, a fraternity brother of mine used to go to a lot of Yankee Games every year. He caught this foul ball at the game. Since he knew I collected baseball memorabilia he would tease me that he had this ball and how he knew I would love to have it. About 2 months before we graduated, he came into my room threw me the ball and said "don't say I never gave you anything." He was also at Gooden's No No and David Wells Perfect Game, unfortunately no foul balls caught.

koufax1fan
07-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Jonathan:
Great ball ! This idea would make for a wonderful collection. Might get very expensive especially on vintage and hall of fame players.
Phil

ooo-ribay
07-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Giants are auctioning a few from Lincecum's latest no-no, as we speak. :p

parker1b2
07-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Jonathan:
Great ball ! This idea would make for a wonderful collection. Might get very expensive especially on vintage and hall of fame players.
Phil

Thanks Phil. I figured it might get pricey, but it gives me something specific to look for at auctions.

Rob: took a look, thanks for the heads up.

Scott Garner
07-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Jonathan,
I think that this is a fun thing to collect. No-hitters are my main collecting theme.

Here are two of my favorite no-hitter game balls in my own personal collection:

The first is an actual no-hitter game ball from HB "Dutch" Leonard's 1st no-hitter on 8/16/16 at Fenway Park. This was only the second no-hitter ever pitched at Fenway Park. Teammate George "Rube" Foster beat him to the punch as he pitched the 1st no-hitter at Fenway two months earlier. This ball was an attic find in upstate NY. One family had owned the ball for almost 95 years before it surfaced for the first time within the hobby. The ball was gifted to the family by Red Sox player Chick Shorten as the ball states as much with the inscription "Ball given by Shorten (Red Sox)".

The second no-hitter game ball is from Nolan Ryan's 4th no-hitter on 6/1/75 at Anaheim. Nolan tied HOF great Sandy Koufax with 4 career no-hitters in this game. The "O" was drawn on the ball along with 3 other "O" balls and was used for the iconic photo of Nolan holding these 4 balls. This photo was taken by So Cal sports photographer Frank Worth. Nolan signed and inscribed the ball for Frank Worth after the photo shoot. My favorite part of the ball is his inscription on the side that reads "Glad you were here for the 4th. Hope your (sic) here for the 5th" . Pretty eerie that Nolan essentially predicted he wasn't done throwing no-hitters as he threw 3 more... On another panel, Angels battery mate Ellie Rodriguez signed the ball and wrote the inscription "4th no-hitter 6-1-75". This ball originates from the family estate of Frank Worth.

Runscott
07-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Impressive, but CC has a 1st no-hitter ball that says "Hope you are in Arlington for my 7th"

Runscott
07-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I only have one no-hitter ball - from Ryan's 5th. Ironically, I attended his 7th. Perhaps that isn't actually irony.

parker1b2
07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Scott & Scott thanks for sharing. Those baseballs are gorgeous. Hunts auction has a few no hitter balls currently listed. Think I am going to try and win one.:)

Scott Garner
07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Impressive, but CC has a 1st no-hitter ball that says "Hope you are in Arlington for my 7th"

LOL.
Now THAT is what I would call a clairvoyant inscription! Leave it to CC to bring that bad boy into the hobby! :rolleyes:

Runscott
07-07-2014, 03:42 PM
the antithesis of this thread would be the no-hitter balls that got away. I have been kicking myself for over ten years for not buying a Nap Rucker no-hitter ball. But then again, it went through the hands of so many generations of Ruckers that it might have been an old ball that morphed via family lore.

Runscott
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Good luck on Hunts. As an aside, Thanks to the other Scott for all the advice he has given me about buying no-hitter balls. When you get into an area like this, it is real easy to convince yourself that something is something it isn't, so be careful - don't let the auction houses do your thinking for you.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

parker1b2
07-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Good luck on Hunts. As an aside, Thanks to the other Scott for all the advice he has given me about buying no-hitter balls. When you get into an area like this, it is real easy to convince yourself that something is something it isn't, so be careful - don't let the auction houses do your thinking for you.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Great advice. Thanks!!!