PDA

View Full Version : Some cards go around and around

Leon
07-05-2014, 06:46 AM
I was at a softball game a few nights ago and saw one of my card collector friends who also plays. He and I were talking and he said he is mostly out of collecting but still does a little bit. He says the last deal he bought had some of the same cards he had owned in the past. It doesn't seem that we see the really great looking cards, over and over, so much. I told him I thought those are the ones that stick in the collections. Then when I look at my own collection that thought is confirmed. It seems we also see mostly the same thing on ebay and most of the auctions. I know I always try to keep the best ones from the buys and trades I make .... Thoughts....

wonkaticket
07-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Leon, I agree most of the nicer cards tend to stay in collections. I would add that some of the bigger ticket cards tend to make the rounds you see them pop up every few years IMO.

Leon
07-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Leon, I agree most of the nicer cards tend to stay in collections. I would add that some of the bigger ticket cards tend to make the rounds you see them pop up every few years IMO.

That is true John. I could see a few of my favorites being sold to help fund my daughters college in a year or two.... It doesn't make as much sense to sell a thousand dollar card when it takes quite a bit more to really get anything done or make a dent...(these aren't for sale currently)

http://luckeycards.com/pt206mattyproofandregularx2.jpg

07-05-2014, 07:49 AM
I have no interest in T206s, but I never get tired of seeing that Matty proof. I believe that the future of your daughter's college fund is secure.

mrvster
07-05-2014, 11:03 AM
that Matty could pay for med school:)

Leon
07-05-2014, 11:09 AM

My daughter will be a HS Senior next year and I haven't decided how to fund her college. She wants to go to a private Texas one so it's not going to be cheap. Hopefully she will get some kind of grant or scholarship but the collection has always been what we intend to use for (at least part of) her college. She won't be saddled with debt when she gets out, is our plan. That Matty might pay for a semester :). I think it will be roughly 50k-60k a yr for her tuition, books, room, board etc... She has narrowed it to Rice, TCU, Baylor or SMU. We shall see....

mrvster
07-05-2014, 11:20 AM
you must be very proud, congrats Leon:)

try to hold onto that matty proof as long as you can.....btw....I think / believe that matty is a 100k + card right now.....a few years more than double:)

Brian Van Horn
07-05-2014, 11:25 AM
That is true John. I could see a few of my favorites being sold to help fund my daughters college in a year or two.... It doesn't make as much sense to sell a thousand dollar card when it takes quite a bit more to really get anything done or make a dent...(these aren't for sale currently)

http://luckeycards.com/pt206mattyproofandregularx2.jpg

The operative word is "currently."

mrvster
07-05-2014, 11:30 AM
even 200k right now.....:confused:......I hate putting a number on anything so rare/desirable/unique of printer scrap and significance to the set/ and design of it...

I'm in awe of T206 proofs(especially type I design change proofs).....this matty , is correlated to that piece of history and is almost priceless inmho....:)

ethicsprof
07-05-2014, 02:01 PM
I did some of graduate work in ethics at Rice and loved it there.
I'm rooting for her to choose the Owls!
all the best,

barry

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-06-2014, 10:01 AM

I don't know about all that. Nevertheless, still a great card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lgarza99
07-06-2014, 10:41 AM
I've seen some great cards on this sight but that Matty proof takes it! Incredible Leon!

Jeffrompa
07-07-2014, 04:48 PM
All great schools Leon . Ill have to dig up some more N167s to fund my 10 year olds college when it comes time . Wonder how much it will be then ? :eek: