PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudey Hack Wilson - really a 1934 issue?

gracecollector
07-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I've been setting up my new website, www.HackWilson.com, and doing some research. Working on it finally inspired me to buy a 33 Goudey card of him.

Knowing that the 33 Goudey's were painted but based on actual photographs, I found the original photo online. It was taken in 1933 and shows Hack in a 33 Brooklyn Dodgers uniform.

http://www.hackwilson.com/HackPhotos/hack33GOUDEYPOSE.png http://www.hackwilson.com/HackPhotos/hack33GOUDEY.png

Comparing it to the Goudey card, I noticed the sock stripes were different, his glove was removed from his back pocket, and the portion of the Brooklyn "B" on the front of the uniform was omitted.

I wondered why that would be, and then I got to thinking maybe it was for his trade to Philadelphia. Sure enough, the uniform colors (red piping and socks instead of Dodger blue), two-tone hat, and stripe placements match a Phillies uniform much more than a Dodgers uniform. But Hack's trade didn't happen until August of 1934. From everything I've read, Goudeys were issued in 10 strips, Hack's card #211 was issued in strip 8, and that it was issued in the fall of 1933.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1932_brooklyn.gif http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1933_philadelphia.gif

The back of the Goudey card lists Brooklyn as Hack's team. But I can't believe the alterations to the photo are a coincidence. Is it possible that new Goudeys in this set were being issued as late as the fall of 1934? Or am I just seeing things? The card text on back does say "Last year, playing with Brooklyn, hit .297 in 138 games" which points to his 1932 season and would mean that card back was written in 1933. But I still believe the illustrator pictured him in a 1934 jersey. If the card was issued in 1933, it's a very big coincidence that he appears to be a Philly one year in advance of him actually being traded to the team!

Any 33 Goudey collectors know more about this, or believe this card could have been initially offered as late as August 1934? That would push the issue back a full year from what guides say.

jerseygary
07-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Can't speak to how late the Goudey's were printed or issued, but I think the color scheme on Hack's Goudey card has more to do with the artist having no idea what team colors were for each team. Not all match what a team wore that year - look at Ruth's drab cap in the portrait card of him and the A's players in red and white, Phillies with a blue peaked cap, the Browns in red...

I'm a big Hack Wilson fan and I'm going to visit your site right now!

gracecollector
07-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Can't speak to how late the Goudey's were printed or issued, but I think the color scheme on Hack's Goudey card has more to do with the artist having no idea what team colors were for each team. Not all match what a team wore that year - look at Ruth's drab cap in the portrait card of him and the A's players in red and white, Phillies with a blue peaked cap, the Browns in red...

I'm a big Hack Wilson fan and I'm going to visit your site right now!

I did wonder if "artistic license" was prevalent in the illustrator's color palette. I'll take a look at the examples you cite. It does seem unlikely to me that, with having a 1934 Goudey set, this "33" card could be issued that late. Maybe it is just coincidence - or the illustrator had ESP!

tedzan
07-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey Brad

Nice start on your Hack Wilson website

As I am sure you know, the 239 cards in this set were printed on 10 sheets (each sheet consisting of 24 cards).

Years ago, I saw all 10 of these sheets. Wilson (#211) was printed on sheet 8. Therefore, I'd say with certainty
that Wilson's card was issued in 1933.

TED Z
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
LOOKING for this T206 guy to complete my EXCLUSIVE 12 red HINDU sub-set (12 subjects)

SHECKARD (glove)