PDA

View Full Version : tough guy on the internet - Jeff Hall?

Leon
07-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Does anyone know this guy, Jeff Hall? I want to make sure he isn't allowed on our board. He has definite anger issues. I had been informed by a few of our members that he had gone ballistic for no apparent reason. I emailed him asking about it and he went ballistic in an email to me. Seems like a nice guy :).

Jeff Hall
North Wilkesboro, NC 28659

Jeffrompa
07-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Still lots of nice Jeff's in the world and on the board .

ooo-ribay
07-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Probably a D**ger fan, to boot.

Tabe
07-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Still lots of nice Jeff's in the world and on the board .

Jury's still out on this, I think :)

thehoodedcoder
07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know this guy, Jeff Hall? I want to make sure he isn't allowed on our board. He has definite anger issues. I had been informed by a few of our members that he had gone ballistic for no apparent reason. I emailed him asking about it and he went ballistic in an email to me. Seems like a nice guy :).

Jeff Hall
North Wilkesboro, NC 28659

How does one stop someone from being on the board? There isn't one concrete thing you can go by to prevent it.

Lets look at the list:

Phone Number: Throw away phone or someone else's number.
Mailing Address: Fake or neighbor address
Ebay ID: New ebay ID or don't provide one or provide someone elses
Email Address: these are free and unrealiable as well or you can just go the paid route.
Paypal account: these are tied to emails. you can put any name on a personal account you want.
IP address: You can request this be changed or you can just unplug your modem for a week and let the dhcp lease expire. Vbulletin doesn't have the ability to harvest a mac address, obviously, so that is out as well, but even if it did you get could just get a second NIC card for 6 bucks.

Kevin

Leon
07-01-2014, 03:34 PM
How does one stop someone from being on the board? There isn't one concrete thing you can go by to prevent it.

Lets look at the list:

Email Address: these are free and unrealiable as well or you can just go the paid route.
Paypal account: these are tied to emails. you can put any name on a personal account you want.
IP address: You can request this be changed or you can just unplug your modem for a week and let the dhcp lease expire. Vbulletin doesn't have the ability to harvest a mac address, obviously, so that is out as well, but even if it did you get could just get a second NIC card for 6 bucks.

Kevin

well, I might not be able to do anything but at least I don't have "idiot" next to my name, under my user id......how about hacking that If it's so easy?

vintagetoppsguy
07-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I just laughed so hard, I cried :D

Leon
07-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Then he said "How does one stop someone from being on the board? There isn't one concrete thing you can go by to prevent it."

I banned him. Now he has no access. That is how it's done.

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2014, 03:53 PM

It's contagious.

Jeffrompa
07-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Im behaving Chris :rolleyes:

Wite3
07-01-2014, 04:39 PM
OMG, Leon...that was awesome!

Joshua

pariah1107
07-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Jeff Hall, "the most recognizable name in the game of amateur softball", according to this lawsuit:

http://www.ncbusinesscourt.net/opinions/2012_NCBC_62.pdf

I've really missed a lot in the fast paced world of slow pitch softball :rolleyes: ... Or, it's an alias, Jeff Hall was also a neo-nazi killed by his son in Riverside, California (2010). You choose.

glynparson
07-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I had an Internet tough guy spamming all over my companies Facebook page today. I love the keyboard tough guys.

EvilKing00
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Ip address and machine id are best way

Lets look at the list:

Kevin

HoggZilla
07-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Handwriting analysis, duh!

E93
07-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Probably a D**ger fan, to boot.

Don't make me angry. ;)
JimB

calvindog
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
well, i might not be able to do anything but at least i don't have "idiot" next to my name, under my user id......how about hacking that if it's so easy?

lololololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZachS
07-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Did Kevin get banned for that post alone or was there something more going on with this Jeff Hall thing?

07-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Hilarious thread!

bigtrain
07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
"the most recognizable name in the game of amateur softball" Wow! He is a legend. That's got to right up there with the most recognizable name in
the world of tiddlywinks.

Brian Van Horn
07-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Is this a lost episode of "Seinfeld"?

frankbmd
07-01-2014, 07:07 PM
"the most recognizable name in the game of amateur softball" Wow! He is a legend. That's got to right up there with the most recognizable name in
the world of tiddlywinks.

Tom, watch out. Watch the videos first. Then decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTlwRRyQZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VumrieWm8

Live tiddlywinks gets my vote.:D

ibuysportsephemera
07-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Did Kevin get banned for that post alone or was there something more going on with this Jeff Hall thing?

This thread might have helped Leon make his decision:

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177211

Jeff

bobfreedman
07-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Jeff

I was not going to say anything but I will for clarity.

I received a phone call last week from a person claiming to be "Jeff". He claimed to be interested in our software and, I started to give him a demo but his answers to my questions were vague and so bad that I knew immediately that something was wrong. I even asked him if he knew of a person Named Kevin Quinn, which he denied knowing him but ultimately I hung up on him when I asked what he sold and he replied "antiques and I go to yard sales" I then looked up his phone number from a previous time when he threatened to hack into our software (I have the emails where he threatened it).

He later went on the board and said "Bob just did me a favor and confirmed on the phone that as an administrator of the simpleauctionsite script you can see the max bids.", which again was a lie. He has said on several occasions that he just wants to help with our security. So someone threatens to hack into my company, lies to me about who is and wants to help me??? The irony in this is just ridiculous. Their you have it, again I was not going to say anything but I wanted to fill in the blanks for everyone.

wolf441
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
well, I might not be able to do anything but at least I don't have "idiot" next to my name, under my user id......how about hacking that If it's so easy?

I love it, Leon!! :D

You like apples?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmRe_fK7pbw#t=183

ullmandds
07-01-2014, 08:01 PM

That's rich!

clydepepper
07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
It's times like this, I find myself quoting great leaders of peace, for example.

"Can't we all just get along?"

gnaz01
07-01-2014, 08:08 PM

I just snotted water out of my nose I laughed so hard!! Good going, LL!!!

Brian Van Horn
07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I was not going to say anything but I will for clarity.

I received a phone call last week from a person claiming to be "Jeff". He claimed to be interested in our software and, I started to give him a demo but his answers to my questions were vague and so bad that I knew immediately that something was wrong. I even asked him if he knew of a person Named Kevin Quinn, which he denied knowing him but ultimately I hung up on him when I asked what he sold and he replied "antiques and I go to yard sales" I then looked up his phone number from a previous time when he threatened to hack into our software (I have the emails where he threatened it).

He later went on the board and said "Bob just did me a favor and confirmed on the phone that as an administrator of the simpleauctionsite script you can see the max bids.", which again was a lie. He has said on several occasions that he just wants to help with our security. So someone threatens to hack into my company, lies to me about who is and wants to help me??? The irony in this is just ridiculous. Their you have it, again I was not going to say anything but I wanted to fill in the blanks for everyone.

Bob,

Thank you for the information.

ZachS
07-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Jeff

Ah... well see sometimes I start out a little slow and need a push in the right direction. It all makes sense now. I was thinking "wow Leon usually lets people push things a little further than that" and I thought it was pretty dick-ish to ban him for that post.

Leon - sorry for thinking you were being dick-ish

ALR-bishop
07-01-2014, 08:35 PM
No, that is apparently his aunt

Kawika
07-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Good one, Al. :)

irishdenny
07-01-2014, 11:04 PM
No, that is apparently his aunt

Now that's Really Funny... :D

gregr2
07-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Great thread. I'm actually a bit surprised it took this long.

Leon
07-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Great thread. I'm actually a bit surprised it took this long.

Anyone can see a members public information under their profile and ID. Kevin had already been given a public warning several months ago (as anyone can see). It's clear I don't care for the way he acts. However, A moderator not necessarily "liking" a member is never a reason to oust them from the board. IF that were the case there would be a few others banned for that reason alone. But when Kevin continually made divisive comments AND then challenged me saying nothing could be done to prevent someone from being on the board, well, that was enough. You don't point a gun at cop and dare them to shoot. As was said, it is ok to question everything. It is ok to question how this forum is run, any auction house, myself or any other moderator, member or company. However, if you challenge someone you should expect the challenge to be met. Kevin thinks it's easy to hack everything on the internet, including this forum. I don't think so. Sure, someone can crawl in without being verified enough but that is a far cry from hacking. (imo) My goal to not ban folks remains. It really does take quite a bit to be banned. A lot of members think it should be done sooner or more often but that is not our (my) MO on the board.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-02-2014, 08:02 AM
I love internet tough guys they are the funnest people to mock.

bigtrain
07-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Tom, watch out. Watch the videos first. Then decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTlwRRyQZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VumrieWm8

Live tiddlywinks gets my vote.:D

Very impressive batting practice home runs by
the big guy. The anger issues might be explained
by PEDs. I still will not believe that anyone can hit
a softball 500 feet.

steve B
07-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Very impressive batting practice home runs by
the big guy. The anger issues might be explained
by PEDs. I still will not believe that anyone can hit
a softball 500 feet.

I'd believe it.

Composite/aluminum bat, and some of those yellow softballs are sort of like range balls in golf. Wound tight so they're extra lively. The right spin to get some lift while it's flying which works better with a bigger ball.

Heck, I have very little power and hit a limited flight ball 200+ in modified pitch. (Only once, and I'm so slow it was only a triple :mad: And played with an ex college guy who hit one 300+ slow pitch.

Someone with power and the advantages of the springy bat and lively ball going over 500 ? Yeah, I totally buy it. But it's not all that impressive.

Steve B

2dueces
07-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I played on traveling tourney teams in my youth.
Before the new bats I have seen balls hit 500+ ft.
Can't imagine how far they will go now.

Just look up some of the old timers from Jerry's Catering, Howards Furniture and Steele Sporting goods.

Moose Haas put on hitting displays in the Astrodome.

I played with Scott Vergus (sp). He played lineman for the Bills and Colts.
6'7" 275 and ran like a deer. I saw him hit a ball over the fence, over the path over the infield of the next field and into the outfield. We walked it off after and it was 525 ft.

I'm glad I played the outfield as I never wanted to be that close when they pounded a ball that hard. It's truly amazing what pro's can do with a Red dot softball.

Leon
07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
I played on traveling tourney teams in my youth.
Before the new bats I have seen balls hit 500+ ft.
Can't imagine how far they will go now.

Just look up some of the old timers from Jerry's Catering, Howards Furniture and Steele Sporting goods.

Moose Haas put on hitting displays in the Astrodome.

I played with Scott Vergus (sp). He played lineman for the Bills and Colts.
6'7" 275 and ran like a deer. I saw him hit a ball over the fence, over the path over the infield of the next field and into the outfield. We walked it off after and it was 525 ft.

I'm glad I played the outfield as I never wanted to be that close when they pounded a ball that hard. It's truly amazing what pro's can do with a Red dot softball.

You guys are absolutely correct. I play in a fairly competitive senior league now. Our composite bats rock!! I am sure I can hit about 350 on a good day and I am weak, all things considered. I know I have hit a few that far in the last few seasons. I don't think 500 ft is any stretch at all.

Jantz
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I'd believe it.

Me too.

When I was a kid, the local railroad would rent the city park for a day in the summer and all the railroad employees and their families could use the park/swimming pool/ball fields/bbq areas for free.

The different departments of the railroad would assemble teams and have a softball tournament. My Dad was a player (switch hitter) for one of those teams and before his first at-bat he stepped up to the stands and made a courtesy call to the spectators that they might want to move their vehicles before one of them got damaged by a softball. The spectators all laughed. A few pitches later he cranked one over the fence and into a vehicle.

On his second at-bat, no one was laughing. They were all scrambling to move their vehicles.

Almost forgot....I miss Kevin already!

Jantz

ksfarmboy
07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Leon, did you put idiot next to his name or did he do that to himself?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
The bats can make anyone a power guy. The league my dad used to play in had a limit on HRs. After the limit was reached the HRs were scored as puts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
07-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Leon, did you put idiot next to his name or did he do that to himself?

I did it. If he is such a great hacker it should have been no problem for him to remove it.

Leon
07-02-2014, 02:21 PM
The bats can make anyone a power guy. The league my dad used to play in had a limit on HRs. After the limit was reached the HRs were scored as puts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do a "1 up" basis for home runs. Each team can hit one then then other team has to hit one before they can hit another. If they do hit one, and the other team hasn't, then it is counted as a walk. I have had a few 2 HR games this season.....

ksfarmboy
07-02-2014, 03:08 PM
I did it. If he is such a great hacker it should have been no problem for him to remove it.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. :)

2dueces
07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
We couldn't compete with the likes of Steele or Howards in a closed park. Back in those days we played for cash prizes, no iron. After losing to one of them in the championship we challeged them, our 2nd place money + cash against their first place money. We chose the park. We chose an open diamond. Our base hitting team could score anywhere and their long, long balls were just long fly outs without fences. We had homerun hitters too, but not all of us. One of my many memories traveling with the team.

Bpm0014
07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Although hitting a softball 500 feet is kind of rare, it is definitely possible. I play ultra competitive softball (I won my first World Series ring last year!) and guys regularly hit balls 400/450 and even 500 feet. Jeff Hall is a stud offensively, but that's about it.

DHogan
07-02-2014, 04:16 PM

lol

sreader3
07-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Isn't the proper term thehoodedidiot?

bigtrain
07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Although hitting a softball 500 feet is kind of rare, it is definitely possible. I play ultra competitive softball (I won my first World Series ring last year!) and guys regularly hit balls 400/450 and even 500 feet. Jeff Hall is a stud offensively, but that's about it.

I guess I am showing my age but when I was playing
350 - 400 was the pretty much as far as anyone could hit it.
Of course, I have no idea what a composite bat or red dot are. Seems
Like they would take something away from the game.

Wite3
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
PEDs?