PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice/help...

Roofman4
06-30-2014, 08:15 PM
:confused:

Looking for a little advice about selling cards. As I have gotten older and my collecting has focused/narrowed. I want to sell the large amount of cards I collected as a kid and focus on my current (smaller) wish list. I need advice on how to organize them for sale. How do Net 54 members sell cards? Does selling in 10, 20, 30 cards lots etc...work best? Does grouping by year and manufacturer work better? By team? By player?

Also...I have seen conversations here regarding trimmed cards. I have a small amount of 1954 Topps and Bowman commons, trimmed. When I say trimmed...whoever trimmed them cut the border off down to the picture. Is there a market for these?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scot M

Leon
06-30-2014, 08:35 PM
:confused:

Looking for a little advice about selling cards. As I have gotten older and my collecting has focused/narrowed. I want to sell the large amount of cards I collected as a kid and focus on my current (smaller) wish list. I need advice on how to organize them for sale. How do Net 54 members sell cards? Does selling in 10, 20, 30 cards lots etc...work best? Does grouping by year and manufacturer work better? By team? By player?

Also...I have seen conversations here regarding trimmed cards. I have a small amount of 1954 Topps and Bowman commons, trimmed. When I say trimmed...whoever trimmed them cut the border off down to the picture. Is there a market for these?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scot M

It depends what they are and how much time and effort you want to put into it. BTW, the trimmed cards do have some value. Again, depends on how they look and who they are...

Roofman4
07-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Luke
07-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Post some more info about your collection and how much time you'd like to spend on selling (listing, waiting, packaging, shipping, etc.) it. Right now the answer to your question is, "It depends."

ethicsprof
07-02-2014, 10:12 AM
would love to see some pics.
all the best in your selling,

barry

Bocabirdman
07-02-2014, 11:42 AM
You need to find the happy spot between ease of sale and recouping the best price. Selling larger lots at discounted prices gets you to the finish line sooner but selling smaller lots down to individual stars will put the most money in your pocket. It also will put more ache in your head so it's a trade-off.:)

Roofman4
07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Basically my collection consists of various years and manufacturers. Most I collected and some cards inherited from my Old Man and Uncle. I stopped collecting around 1994 and picked up again a few years ago with a more focused approach. I have a little bit of everything from 1954 thru 1998 Topps and plenty of 1989 thru 1994 Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck. All ungraded and ranging from P/FR to G/VG to NM/M and some M/GM.

I am looking for advice on how to organize/group these cards to maximize returns.

Joe Hunter
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Okay, here's my advice:
1. Really nice star cards from the '50's to the early '70's should be professionally graded to get the maximum return. I would suggest PSA for those years.
2. I would also sell short-print or hi-number commons individually, as well, and it might be advantageous to get those graded, as well, if they are low pop cards.
3. The remainder of your commons could be sorted by year and sold as in groups.
4. Any sets from the early '70's thru the mid '80's I would sell as complete sets unless a few key cards are ultra high grade - then you might want to get them graded and sell individually.
5. Cards from the late '80's thru '90's, for the most part, have little value with just a few exceptions. You could donate these or possibly sell them as one big group (very cheaply)

Good luck, hope this helps.

Roofman4
07-07-2014, 08:09 PM