PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Surprise!

kailes2872
06-30-2014, 12:51 PM
My 15 year old has been doing a pretty good job finding work this summer. He referees for soccer and mows an occasional lawn. He put together a flyer and passed them out to our neighborhood and the two closest to us advertising his services as a dog sitter for the vacation season this summer.

He has had a pretty strong response and it works out well for him. He makes 40-60 bucks for a weekend when someone goes away. He goes over for 10-15 minutes, takes the dog out, feeds it, plays with it, and then comes back home. Sometimes, he will have multiple dogs over a weekend. It beats flippign burgers.

One of his new clients is Brian Graham. Brian used Conner a couple of weekends ago and was happy with his level of service. Last week, he called Conner and asked him if he would like to make some money doing yardwork. With the National coming up, Conner readily agreed.

Brian showed Conner what needed to be done and then asked him if he knew what he did for a living. Conner said no. Brian proceeded to tell him that he spent time in the Indians and Pirates organization and now works with the Orioles. From what I gathered from a 15 year old interpretation, it sounds like Brain was in the scouting department (Director, Player Development). Conner said that he signed Jim Thome and has won several awards for his minor league scouting work.

He took Conner into his basement and it was floor to ceiling with memoribilia. He had pictures of and with a ton of his players. he had A-Rod's bat, shoes, and ball. Legends, rookies - Conner said well over 100 balls. He had bats that were on the ball and in the corners. His pictures were of the players and several where he was in the picture with him. My son was in heaven.

Just then, Brian grabbed a bat. It was game used from Matt Weiters. It had the a mark on the sweet spot where the ball had connected and lots of Pine Tar. It was not signed, but it was game used with provenence. You could only imagine the level of detail that he gave Mr. Graham's yardwork.

I have attached some pictures. Again, based on some of the stuff that you guys post, this is pretty small stuff - but it made his day and he shows it to anyone who comes in the door.

dwr11
06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

roarfrom34
06-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Is this Brian Graham? I remember him managing the AAA Buffalo Bisons in the mid 1990's

Nice Gesture!

kailes2872
06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Is this Brian Graham? I remember him managing the AAA Buffalo Bisons in the mid 1990's

Nice Gesture!

Yes - Brian Graham. Nice Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Graham_(baseball)

ethicsprof
06-30-2014, 04:36 PM
great story!
a fine young son you have there!

all the best,
barry

DHogan
06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Great story. :)

parker1b2
06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Great story. Thank you for sharing.

yanks12025
06-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Very cool story.

almostdone
06-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Very cool story and experience for your son. The type of story he will relate to his kids and even grand kids someday. Good example of "you never know how hard work will pay off". Maybe I should let my son read this:rolleyes: jk.
Drew