PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Topps Complete Set offered by NESC....Advice

Hammerin'Hank
06-26-2014, 09:29 AM
$1,500 for a pretty decent 1971 Topps Complete Set of raw cards. Condition appears to be EX-MMT 6 with a few in EX and a some NMT. Maybe a couple of NM-MT.

Its being offered by New England Sports Cards. They have many good reviews on Ebay but a few bad ones where they are accused of bait and switch. Does anyone here have experience buying sets from them ?

I'm strongly considering this set but would value the opinion of others.

vintagetoppsguy
06-26-2014, 09:34 AM
I've been buying from NESC for years. I've never had a problem with them. I've also read where others have (never bait and switch -just overstated condition), but that's never been the case from my experience.

Hammerin'Hank
06-26-2014, 09:38 AM
The stories of corners and edges being touched up with markers is scaring me from buying a set of all raw black border cards.

vintagetoppsguy
06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
The stories of corners and edges being touched up with markers is scaring me from buying a set of all raw black border cards.

Are you speaking in general or from what you heard about NESC? I've never heard of NESC touching up cards. However, I have heard of others touching up cards - especially '71s.

When building my '71 set, I found it was easy to spot touched-up cards (fortunately I didn't end up with many) by stacking them raw (a small stack, like 50 or so) and then taking the stack and looking at all 4 sides. The black Sharpie will bleed though to the edges and they are easy to spot and pick out when in a stack with clean cards.

111gecko
06-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Done several deals with them...always been very happy.

K-Nole
06-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Add me to the list of having many dealings with them, and I have been happy with every one the dealings.

Hammerin'Hank
06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

the 'stache
06-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Completely off subject, but I've never noticed the '71 Nolan Ryan card has a Royal Crown advertisement behind his head. A royal crown for the all-time strikeout king. How apropos. :p

toppcat
06-30-2014, 10:23 AM
That 71 Ryan image is among my favorites in the set, it's just outstanding. Casey Cox also comes to mind as having a great background but the Ryan card is truly spectacular.

K-Nole
06-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Some of Ryan collectors also love the 1971 Bud Harrelson card, due to Ryan being the focal point on the card, as well.

That 71 Ryan image is among my favorites in the set, it's just outstanding. Casey Cox also comes to mind as having a great background but the Ryan card is truly spectacular.

brookdodger55
06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Purchased a set 6 months ago from local show set was in a book took out cards
and they were very badly curled like the many in your scans, tried to flatten out with no luck. Not sure if that matter's to you. I put them all in a box and they all look like a rainbow. Just my experience. Many of the stars in your scans look this way also.

Mike

pow323
06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
I love the curled cards! I have a bunch of mint 71`s that are crisp and curled and they are beauties! :)