PDA

View Full Version : Seller Beware: How To Avoid eBay Scams

HolyGrail
06-25-2014, 06:58 AM
As a veteran collector, I've been writing a series on eBay with tips from sports card and memorabilia pros about maximizing your profit and minimizing your risk. Here's my latest on the dicey subject of returns. It got some great comments.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2014/06/23/part-6-how-to-hit-a-homerun-selling-on-ebay/

Leon
06-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Nice article, David. I moved it from the water cooler section to here but thanks for being cognizant of our different sections.

ZachS
06-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Very good article. It's funny how you mention this:

Scam Number One. Before returning my glove, the buyer said he’d spare me the hassle of relisting if I lowered his winning price and paid him the difference through PayPal. “Buyers will purchase an item then demand a partial refund and want to keep the item,”

and this:

Scam Number Two. “Another problem is a buyer will purchase something and try to resell at a profit

Last year my wife sold one of her Coach purses on ebay. A couple of weeks later the guy said he wanted a partial refund because there was a scuff on the purse. I told her to tell him to return the purse for a full refund if he wasn't happy with it.

He told her he would just keep the purse but he wasn't happy and left her a negative feedback. A couple of days later she sees that this guy has the same purse listed on ebay with a listing describing how it is in PERFECT condition and a price of over $150 more than what he paid for it! He even copied the photos from my wife's auction and used them in his auction.

Turns out the guy had hundreds of listings for purses... he was buying them and reselling them for more than he paid. Apparently he was also trying to rob the people he bought from by saying the items had blemishes. What a dirtbag.

bobbyw8469
06-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Very good article. It's funny how you mention this:

and this:

Last year my wife sold one of her Coach purses on ebay. A couple of weeks later the guy said he wanted a partial refund because there was a scuff on the purse. I told her to tell him to return the purse for a full refund if he wasn't happy with it.

He told her he would just keep the purse but he wasn't happy and left her a negative feedback. A couple of days later she sees that this guy has the same purse listed on ebay with a listing describing how it is in PERFECT condition and a price of over $150 more than what he paid for it! He even copied the photos from my wife's auction and used them in his auction.

Turns out the guy had hundreds of listings for purses... he was buying them and reselling them for more than he paid. Apparently he was also trying to rob the people he bought from by saying the items had blemishes. What a dirtbag.

That should be an easy fix for feedback removal. What a buffoon.

gregr2
06-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Nice article, thanks for posting it.