PDA

View Full Version : W551 Ruth Strip card questions

Gobucsmagic74
06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Recently purchased what I believe is a very nice W551 Ruth Strip card and have a couple questions. First off, I really feel like the card is under graded as it rests (whether you agree or disagree to strip cards receiving grades, or my opinion of the current grade is not relevant...yet, please be patient!), it is very clean aside from a crease in the upper left corner and some soiling of some sort in that same corner. There's no paper loss, no additional creases, and as you can see the card appears to be wider than the minimum size requirement for this issue, albeit crudely cut. Which leads me to my questions.

1) What are the minimum dimensions on this issue?
2) In so much as this card is hand-cut anyways, is there any moral or ethical reason that should prevent me from slightly trimming down the right edge, assuming I can keep the dimensions in tact for a numerical re-grade?
3) Is it worth it and what would you do? I don't have any plans to sell, but would love this to be a 2.5 or a 3 considering this card has maintained the dimensions to receive a numerical grade (with some to spare) while the vast majority haven't.

As much as I appreciate everyone's opinion on whether or not hand-cut strip cards even deserve to receive numeric grades, I'm much more concerned with people's opinion of trimming the card while keeping it within the limits that allow for numeric grading as this card appears to have plenty of room to lose (like maybe a millimeter or two, lol).

Having said that, I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks in advance!

frankh8147
06-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Congrats on the pick-up! I have always been a fan of Babe's early strip cards; it's a great way to get a nice looking early Ruth. That said, I really don't think you will a higher grade than this if there is soiling. The right edge seems 'wavy' and combined with the crease and soiling, I really think that's about the highest you will get grade-wise. Maybe a better scan would change my mind but from what I see, that was an appropriate, if not generous grade.

Gobucsmagic74
06-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Congrats on the pick-up! I have always been a fan of Babe's early strip cards; it's a great way to get a nice looking early Ruth. That said, I really don't think you will a higher grade than this if there is soiling. The right edge seems 'wavy' and combined with the crease and soiling, I really think that's about the highest you will get grade-wise. Maybe a better scan would change my mind but from what I see, that was an appropriate, if not generous grade.

Thanks Frank. I'm wondering if slightly trimming down the right edge might make a difference in terms of eye appeal and whether or not it's even ethical? Obviously the crease and soiling (its just a bit dingy) in the upper left aren't going anywhere, nor is the card itself. This is more of an OCD issue than anything, although I want to be able to maintain size requirements for numeric grade, as an "authentic" grade would be far uglier to me than SGC 20 with a fugly right edge.

steve B
06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
I'd say the same.

It's a nice looking card for the technical grade, and while fixing the right edge might make it more attractive to some it's also a risk of downgrading to an "A" grade. The crease and soiling should keep it out of much beyond a 30.

I'm not sure if there's a fixed size, handcut stuff usually has to have any printed borders present to get a number. I don't think that set had printed dividers, so they might go with having at least half of the distance between cards present. So if the distance between card images on an uncut strip is 1/4 inch there has to be at least 1/8 on each side or to be generous, 1/4 total between right and left margins. (And this is just how I'd do it - a grading co may not do it the same way)

With strip cards I actually like to see oversize somewhat crooked borders.

Steve B

Gobucsmagic74
06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
I'd say the same.

It's a nice looking card for the technical grade, and while fixing the right edge might make it more attractive to some it's also a risk of downgrading to an "A" grade. The crease and soiling should keep it out of much beyond a 30.

I'm not sure if there's a fixed size, handcut stuff usually has to have any printed borders present to get a number. I don't think that set had printed dividers, so they might go with having at least half of the distance between cards present. So if the distance between card images on an uncut strip is 1/4 inch there has to be at least 1/8 on each side or to be generous, 1/4 total between right and left margins. (And this is just how I'd do it - a grading co may not do it the same way)

With strip cards I actually like to see oversize somewhat crooked borders.

Steve B

Gotcha, in other words "respect the cut". I appreciate your opinion.

Leon
06-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I am in the "their strip cards so hand cut is fine" camp....