PDA

View Full Version : Sports Collectors News July 4, 1977...Barker's first auction...

Leon
06-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Sports Collectors News July 4, 1977...Barker's first auction...

Can you imagine bidding in an auction by mailing your bid in? A phone type auction? Might be onto something.......

http://luckeycards.com/scn1a.jpg

barrysloate
06-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Back in the 1980's, when I advertised regularly in SCD, I ran small auctions and accepted mail bids. I used to receive them all the time.

Just last month I bid in the Early American Coppers Auction and believe it or not, I had to mail my bids in. These guys have a live auction with no phone lines and no internet access, and because the few large cent collectors I know didn't attend, I had to mail 'em in! And this is 2014! Unbelievable.

1880nonsports
06-21-2014, 11:43 AM
some things change engineering wise - but the emotions behind it all seem pretty much the same :-) I remember bidding for a few years in a circa late 90's auction by mail - one submitted prices they wanted to pay - and if you "won" you paid what you bid. HATED IT especially when there was something scarce and valuable.........

clydepepper
06-21-2014, 12:06 PM
many moons ago. I cannot remember specifics, but that would be a good sign as I am quite sure I would remember anything bad. So, thank you.

On the discussion of how things have changed, I became a regular using Teletrade via phone auctions...in retrospect...what a nightmare.

Someone made a lot of money off me. As I mentioned in another thread, both the seller AND the buyer paid fees.

These days, we have a tendency to not realize how lucky we are now.

EBAY certainly isn't perfect, but it beast the brakes off anything I used previously.

ethicsprof
06-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I always love hearing about the stories from the great ones.
Thanks, Leon---and Barry and Henry (the younger great ones!)

all the best,
barry

barrysloate
06-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I always love hearing about the stories from the great ones.
Thanks, Leon---and Barry and Henry (the younger great ones!)

all the best,
barry

I guess I'm still one year younger than you Barry. That doesn't change.:)