PDA

View Full Version : Salada coins--team selection??

hoot-owl
06-21-2014, 07:04 AM
Does anyone have any background on the team selection for the 62/63 salada coin set? No Vikings, Cowboys or Cardinals and only three AFL teams?

It also appears the Rams, Redskins, Colts, Steelers, and 49ers were all short printed?

Are there any coins that are nearly impossible to track down? thanks.

oddball
06-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have any background on the team selection for the 62/63 salada coin set? No Vikings, Cowboys or Cardinals and only three AFL teams?

It also appears the Rams, Redskins, Colts, Steelers, and 49ers were all short printed?

Are there any coins that are nearly impossible to track down? thanks.

I own a few of these (Jim Brown) that were enclosed (in their own little box) inside of packages of Salada Tea or Junket pudding desserts. You are right about the short printed teams; they are considerably tougher. The Unitas and Bobby Layne are considerably tougher than other high-profile stars in the set. I have found the common players from those short-printed teams to be tougher, but not impossible (not quite like a couple of those from the '62 Post set).

From what I understand, the team selection was mostly based on the retail supermarket chains that carried those two particular brands. I grew up in the Minnesota area, and my parents and grandparents had never heard of Salada brand tea or Junket pudding deserts (Salad and Junket were based from the northeast at the time). Therefore, teams in the areas with little to no distribution were omitted.

whiteymet
06-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi Guys:

I have a set of these along with an uncut sheet. If you check the sheet you can see why some coins are SP's. There are some coins that appear to be placed on the sheet on a rather haphazard manner. Wherever there was room they stuck a coin!

I have quite a few dupes in these if anyone is interested PM me.

Also shown is the seldom seen presentation box for the football coins.

Regards,

Fred

oddball
06-24-2014, 08:19 PM
That is awesome! I've never seen the uncut sheet or presentation box. That explains the SP's. Thank you for posting!