PDA

View Full Version : F. Scott Fitzgerald stamp Prices???

tuckr1
06-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi there, I am wanting to sell my F. Scott Fitzgerald in the BST here but I can't find any information on any auction or bay pricing, so not really sure what to start asking number at??

Any information would be helpful

Thanks Tucker

Leon
06-20-2014, 09:37 AM
So did you forget about this thread or are you just trying to sell on the main forum?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177699

tuckr1
06-20-2014, 09:48 AM
I didn't forget just haven't found anything more on these cards. Please delete if this is in wrong place, sorry

Tucker

So did you forget about this thread or are you just trying to sell on the main forum?

Leon
06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
I didn't forget just haven't found anything more on these cards. Please delete if this is in wrong place, sorry

Tucker

Not really the wrong place, I was just pointing out that it has been discussed before. Please just be cognizant of not selling on the main board. Good luck, no worries and nothing personal at all. take care.....

tuckr1
06-20-2014, 09:56 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any updates on these cards or recent auction prices that I may have missed. I don't see these hardly ever come up for sale? Was just seeing if anymore information has surfaced on these cards??

Thanks Tucker

arc2q
06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Just list it in the Auction section of B/S/T and you will get many interested people. You don't have to worry about what price to start the listing ($1) because that will take care of itself.

Luke
06-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Just list it in the Auction section of B/S/T and you will get many interested people. You don't have to worry about what price to start the listing ($1) because that will take care of itself.

This actually might be the best way to maximize your sell price. Most of the potential buyers are probably on this board, and you might do better selling as an auction than just taking offers.

ullmandds
06-20-2014, 05:22 PM
This actually might be the best way to maximize your sell price. Most of the potential buyers are probably on this board, and you might do better selling as an auction than just taking offers.

I agree... There are a lot of tea 206 collectors on this board that know about this stamp... It would never disappear like it might on eBay. Auction it on bst...start it at $40.

ZachS
06-20-2014, 05:46 PM
I bid $45!

Big Ben
06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Post a scan of the card! :)

tuckr1
06-23-2014, 07:44 AM
The blue framing around the card is a 2002 Topps Buyback holder

Thanks Tucker

DerekMichael
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Here is mine.

It would be nice to see some legitimate proof and to gain a better understanding of this.

Has anyone ever seen anything from the supposed auction in 1951?

tuckr1
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Nice Derek, thanks for sharing. I am very interested in any information or proof about these cards as well???

Seems to be very limited info on these cards. One member was trying to get in touch with F. Scott Museum but I haven't heard if they got any results??

arc2q
06-23-2014, 05:59 PM
I think the lack of information on this stamp is due in large part to the desire many people have to keep the myth/mystique contained. This is an exceptionally easy stamp to replicate (of course, that is an assumption as I would not try to do it). Once that cat is out of the bag forgeries will be all over the market -- if they are not already. Proving a card ever belonged to F. Scott Fitzgerald seems tough at this stage so it seems better to just maintain the myth and leave it at that. Too much attention will ruin the intrigue.

I have one and have tried to buy more since (in fact, Derek, I was the underbidder on that Bowerman) but I recognize the mystique has its limits. It makes a great story and I tell visitors who inquire about my cards this provenance story the first chance I get. It rejuvenates their interest following their disappointment when I have to say, "No, I don't have a Honus Wagner." I am happy keeping it as a tale without proof...

sb1
06-23-2014, 06:29 PM
I think the lack of information on this stamp is due in large part to the desire many people have to keep the myth/mystique contained. This is an exceptionally easy stamp to replicate (of course, that is an assumption as I would not try to do it). Once that cat is out of the bag forgeries will be all over the market -- if they are not already. Proving a card ever belonged to F. Scott Fitzgerald seems tough at this stage so it seems better to just maintain the myth and leave it at that. Too much attention will ruin the intrigue.

I have one and have tried to buy more since (in fact, Derek, I was the underbidder on that Bowerman) but I recognize the mystique has its limits. It makes a great story and I tell visitors who inquire about my cards this provenance story the first chance I get. It rejuvenates their interest following their disappointment when I have to say, "No, I don't have a Honus Wagner." I am happy keeping it as a tale without proof...

Agreed! I have never seen any concrete proof that ties the stamp and the person. In fact most stamps of the day had all three of the persons initials,, why not F. S. F. then it might be more plausible. Perhaps an urban legend. And, yes I have one, acquired who knows where in the last 20 years.

pkaufman
06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Scott, perhaps all three initials are there if you look closely.

thecatspajamas
06-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I've identified all of my childhood collection with a similar 'F' stamping on the back, and rest well at night, safe in the knowledge that my heirs should enjoy a hefty premium when they sell off all of those 1990-93 Topps, Donruss and Fleer cards in 100 years or so. :D

sb1
06-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Scott, perhaps all three initials are there if you look closely.

Paul, I see what you are saying, there does appear to be the possibility of combined initials, but I don't think that was the intention on the stamp. I still think it's a lone F in a very fancy font.

thecatspajamas
06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
It's a pretty standard lone Old English 'F'

http://content.altfonts.com:81/img/O/L/Old-EnglishA.png

Also, if what was said in post #2 from the thread below is accurate regarding the stamp appearing on cards issued after Fitzgerald's death, I really don't understand the continued speculation. Is that statement (in post #2) erroneous, or is the legend and its associated premium pricing just that much more appealing than reality?

Seen em listed on ebay from time to time. I think I remember someone disproving they were Fitzgeralds as some cards showed up that had the same stamp on the back but the cards were issued after his death. I could be misremembering. Also somewhere someone pointed out that he would have used FSFL as his name I think was Francis Scott Fitzgerald Lanihan or something like that. In other words I don't know.

brianp-beme
06-24-2014, 01:49 PM
"Also, if what was said in post #2 from the thread below is accurate regarding the stamp appearing on cards issued after Fitzgerald's death, I really don't understand the continued speculation. Is that statement (in post #2) erroneous, or is the legend and its associated premium pricing just that much more appealing than reality?"

The poster, as he put it himself, "misremembered" the situation. What has put added scrutiny to the long standing F.Scott claim was my post concerning the 1910 Obak that has this same Old English 'F' stamp. Here is the thread from last year:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169794&highlight=fitzgerald

Definitely an interesting and intriquing topic...would love if someone would come across some early mention of it within the hobby.

Brian

mrvster
06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
can't wait for it to be proven.....just get yours slabbed now before some douche and a rumber stamp decides to do dirty.....

I had mine slabbed a few years ago....the topps co. slabbed yours for you;) perfect insurance there!

mrvster
06-24-2014, 05:43 PM
:Dif you notice, they are stamped on a majority of epdgs