PDA

View Full Version : Superchief Allie Reynolds Visits OKC 1955

Hardball6
06-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Awesome to find some old news footage filmed at Oklahoma City's Texas League Park in 1955. Includes 6X World Series Champion and 6X MLB All Star Allie Reynolds aka "Superchief." Reynolds was one year past Yankees retirement and appears with newly elected Oklahoma Governor Raymond Gary who throws out a first pitch as the Oklahoma City Indians Texas League ball club takes the field in OKC. Check it out at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUXZlv_RFQ

Prince Hal
06-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting. I've always thought he was a borderline HOFer. He was not only a great starter but he also closed games effectively. His world series numbers a very strong and he threw two no-nos in a single season. With he, Steady Eddie Lopat, Vic "Springfield Rifle" Raschi and eventually Whitey Ford, its not hard to see how the Yanks won 5 in a row. But for an injury resulting from a bus accident he might have put up the additional numbers to put him in Cooperstown.

tedzan
06-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm older than most on this forum; therefore, I was very fortunate to see these Yankee greats pitch. I became an avid Yankees fan while watching the 1947
World Series. In my book, it is one of the most exciting World Series.

From 1947 - 1952 Reynolds and Raschi each won 105 games (while losing less than 50). Lopat won 81, lost 43 (1948 - 1952).

And, Joe Page saved the day for these guys (1947 - 1951) many, many times. Joe was the quintessential Relief pitcher in those days. On quite a number of
occasions, I recall Joe coming to the mound in the 6th inning and shutting down the opposing team without allowing them a Hit in 4 innings. He certainly was
my favorite pitcher in those days. Furthermore, he wore my favorite number....11.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/ReynoldsLopatRaschiPage50x.jpg
......................... Vic Raschi ................................................. Joe Page

TED Z

mattsey9
06-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Very cool, thanks for posting. I've always thought he was a borderline HOFer. He was not only a great starter but he also closed games effectively. His world series numbers a very strong and he threw two no-nos in a single season.

I've long agreed with this sentiment. When the game meant something, Reynolds was a tough nut to crack. He may not have some of the counting stats that would make his candidacy ironclad, but it's hard to argue that he wasn't one of the best players on one of the best teams in baseball history for a number of years.

kcohen
06-22-2014, 09:30 AM
I believe that Reynolds came up one vote short on a Veterans Committee ballot a few years ago. He should have made it.