PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP Tony Gwynn

Orioles1954
06-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Just passed away from cancer. A true throwback.

HOF Auto Rookies
06-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Very sad, had no idea he was this bad. Lost a great player and better person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yanks12025
06-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Rip

chris6net
06-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Shocking. I didn't even know he was sick
RIP Tony!

vintagetoppsguy
06-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Shocking. I didn't even know he was sick
RIP Tony!

Wow! I didn't know that either. So sad.

the 'stache
06-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Friggin' cancer.

RIP Tony. Great hitter, and an even better man.

packs
06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Truly sad. Great hitter and always enjoyed his commentary and personality. Seemed like such a likeable guy and helped a lot of kids at SDSU.

clydepepper
06-16-2014, 10:10 AM
I will remember his laugh! He truly loved the game.

Exhibitman
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
The death of an all time great is never, ever OT.

I am so saddened by this one. He was not just a great player but a great role model: integrity, loyalty, hard work. He and Ripken were the bright lights of the PED-infected, mercenary era...RIP

Kenny Cole
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
What a hitter and what a person. RIP Tony. You will be greatly missed by many.

bn2cardz
My dad's favorite player growing up my dad would buy anything Gwynn related. Whenever birthday's or father's day would come I would attempt to find a Gwynn at a card shop and sell or trade cards from my collection to get it for him.

I have so many childhood memories focused around Gwynn, including meeting him at a local grocery store signing in Omaha NE. Also learning how to hit and field by watching his instructional videos constantly.

nebboy
There is a tread for worst HOF, well Tony can easy be said BEST HOF you can't ask for a nicer guy.

Short story - I walked into my local food store in 91 and I saw Tony sitting at a card table by front door. With no signs or anything saying who he was or what he was doing there. I walked over and started talking, we talked for 1/2 hr. No one even stopped but me. I went home got some cards to be sign and came back, still no one had stopped to talk but me. Store didn't do right with their promotion but for me I got a one on one Q&A with a further HOF.
Truly priceless.

He will be missed!!

auggiedoggy
06-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Definitely one of the good guys. A true professional and a great role model. I wasn't even aware of his health situation so this came as quite a shock!

RIP Tony.

bn2cardz
06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
There is a tread for worst HOF, well Tony can easy be said BEST HOF you can't ask for a nicer guy.

Short story - I walked into my local food store in 91 and I saw Tony sitting at a card table by front door. With no signs or anything saying who he was or what he was doing there. I walked over and started talking, we talked for 1/2 hr. No one even stopped but me. I went home got some cards to be sign and came back, still no one had stopped to talk but me. Store didn't do right with their promotion but for me I got a one on one Q&A with a further HOF.
Truly priceless.

He will be missed!!

Interesting. I see you are from Nebraska, so I wonder if that was the same time I got to meet him.

donmuth
06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
going to a card show in Memphis where Tony was signing (at Christian Brothers University I think). One of my high school friends was helping some other high school and college baseball players set up the show. They all sat right up by Tony during the entire autograph session chatting with him - he with a big smile on his face the whole time. He was one of my favorite players and one of the best-of-the-best from the time when I was collecting as a kid back in the mid-80's to early 90's.

RIP Mr. Gwynn

ethicsprof
06-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I loved watching this great one play.
my condolences and deepest sympathy to all,

barry

joeadcock
06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
I loved watching this great one play.
my condolences and deepest sympathy to all,

barry

I agree Barry. Great hitter and always seemed a gentleman.

DeanH3
06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Agree that Gwynn was a great person. Met him once to get his autograph and he was awesome. RIP Mr. Gwynn.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/DHack3/BB%20Cards/Misc/img245_zps824b649b.jpg

Luke
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Wow, I just read a few days back that SDSU had extended his contract for another year. I thought he was getting better :(

He is one of my favorite players, and was extremely nice to me the few times I came in contact with him. Really sad news. RIP.

rhettyeakley
06-16-2014, 10:31 AM
RIP Tony.

Probably the best pure contact hitter I ever had the pleasure to watch on a regular basis, baseball lost a great one today.

gregr2
06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Never met him but he was one of the greatest hitters of all time, loved watching him play.

Sean
06-16-2014, 10:35 AM
I didn't know he was sick. This is really a shame. He was still so young. :(

tcdyess
06-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Used to love getting the paper in the morning and going to the box scores when I was a kid.... Had to check out Gywnn every day, he was a hitting machine and possibly had the best hand/eye coordination ever!!! RIP!!!!

Tim

Jlighter
06-16-2014, 10:48 AM
I didn't even know he had an illness, and I see on here many others didn't know either.

May he rest in peace.

packs
06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
I didn't realize speed was a part of his game early on. He stole 50 bags one year.

I always get jealous when I hear older guys talk about Mantle and Mays because I didn't get to see them play. But I feel very fortunate that I did get to see Tony.

barrysloate
06-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Wow, this is the first I heard about Gwynn's passing. One of the greatest hitters in baseball history. Much too young.

Jason
06-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Best wishes went out to his family and friends. He was one of the best hitters of my time watching baseball.

barrysloate
06-16-2014, 11:26 AM
In a strike shortened season he hit .394. Think about that!

z28jd
06-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I just saw something crazy about his career and the timing of his passing. The only time Tony Gwynn ever struck out three times in a game was on April 14, 1986 and the pitcher was Bob Welch, who also just passed away. Got him all three times.

Peter_Spaeth
06-16-2014, 12:52 PM
I remember an epic confrontation in a game 7 playoff when Maddux came on in relief and retired Gwynn to clinch it. Great hitter, no drugs, just relentless hard work.

Joem36
06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Tony and I share the same birthday May 9. I was proud to share a birthday with him. What a great guy. He will be missed.

btkpath
06-16-2014, 01:02 PM
How tragic!!

One of the players that I admired most growing up. A sad day for all!

DerekMichael
06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Man. I just saw this. This is seriously depressing.

He always seemed like such a kind person, and he was by far one of the absolute best hitters of my lifetime. He is kind of larger than life down where I live, and I am sure to all baseball fans.

I remember when I was a kid, he was hitting something like .394 before the strike, isn't that right? Absolutely amazing.

RIP Mr. Gwynn. One of the all time greats, no question.

Sean
06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah, that strike took away his chance to achieve something that would be remembered for ages. But he never showed any bitterness over his lost opportunity.

brianp-beme
06-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I was a lifetime Dodgers fan even after having moved to San Diego for years. Tony was a big part of me gradually switching my allegience to the Padres--I loved the way he hit and played the game.

Even before I made the switch I was appluading whenever he got a hit when the Dodger came to town. And I love the fact the way he decided to become the manager for SDSU. I know the baseball community will miss him, but so will San Diego--he was practically royalty there.

Brian

bnorth
06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I have always hated Tony for totally shellfish reasons. Even though I think my all time favorite player Wade Boggs was a better hitter in their primes Tony ended his career with better numbers. With that said RIP Tony you are a legend.

the 'stache
06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
The death of an all time great is never, ever OT.

I am so saddened by this one. He was not just a great player but a great role model: integrity, loyalty, hard work. He and Ripken were the bright lights of the PED-infected, mercenary era...RIP

I'd include Yount in there, too. Three Hall of Famers that stayed with their original team even when they were offered more money to leave.

deadballfreaK
06-16-2014, 01:53 PM
I just heard the news and it makes me feel like throwing up. I knew he had cancer, but had the idea that he caught it in time and was in recovery. I am actually crying as I try to type. He was one of the truly great. Like Stan Musial you can't find anyone with a bad word to say about him. Wasn't he the one who practically invented watching video tape?

the 'stache
06-16-2014, 02:04 PM
I was just watching HBO's documentary on Ted Williams a few nights ago. They interviewed Tony about the 1999 All Star Game in Boston, and how all the players, past and present, all circled around Williams. Tony said Williams asked Mark McGwire if he ever smelled burnt wood when he was hitting, and Gwynn was laughing his butt off. He had the kind of personality that you just gravitated towards.

He was more than just a great hitter. He stole 300 bases, and won five Gold Glove Awards. And as was previously mentioned, he almost hit .400. If just three of those outs had made it through for hits, he'd have done it.

bbsports
06-16-2014, 02:06 PM
All the net 54 members are right about Tony. He was one of the best natural hitters in the game & a great ambassadors to the game of baseball. According to reports, Gwynn had cancer in his right cheek, possibly caused by chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco is as bad as smoking tobacco. Some of baseball fans out there remember a player in the 1960's name Bill Tuttle, who was big tobacco chewer in his playing days & he passed away from mouth cancer.

deadballfreaK
06-16-2014, 02:54 PM
All the net 54 members are right about Tony. He was one of the best natural hitters in the game & a great ambassadors to the game of baseball. According to reports, Gwynn had cancer in his right cheek, possibly caused by chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco is as bad as smoking tobacco. Some of baseball fans out there remember a player in the 1960's name Bill Tuttle, who was big tobacco chewer in his playing days & he passed away from mouth cancer.

I did not know he was a chewer. I was a coal miner for 31 years. Also a smoker. You can't smoke underground so I took up the disgusting chewing habit. It was pleasurable, but after doing it about 15 years I developed several bad sores in my mouth. Luckily at a routine 6 month checkup at my dentist, he was alarmed. He made me go see a doctor and it was the beginning of cancer. I gave up tobacco completely both smoking and chewing and I recovered pretty quickly. I'm sure that dentist saved my life.

itjclarke
06-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Totally shocked and saddened, Gwynn was as classy a super star as their was. Not sure how long it will be until the next person retires with a lifetime BA of .330+.. but guessing a while. RIP Mr. Gwynn.

Separately, with regards to chew and cancer in his mouth, I had not idea he was dealing with this. I do definitely remember Gwynn regularly playing with a big wad in his mouth though. Glad this has been finding its way out of the game... at least compared with 20 or more years ago.

deadballfreaK
06-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Watching The tony tribute on the MLB network.What a great!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-16-2014, 07:36 PM
From Bleacher Report: He finished his MLB tenure with 3,141 hits, a .338 batting average and an incredible 790-434 walk-to-strikeout total in 9,288 at-bats.

clydepepper
06-16-2014, 07:56 PM
He did not do as well against aging HOFs (Niekro, Carlton, Seaver, Sutton ), but once he adjusted (i.e. saw enough video) he began to feast on them:

Ryan - .302
Glavine - .303
Pedro - .314
Schilling - .390
Maddux- .415
Smoltz- .444

Doug Glanville said earlier today, 'He was indefensible ' and none of today's 'shifts' would have worked on him.

I seem to recall Maddux or Glavine saying that you could never have a game plan for him.

RTK
06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
I spent better than half of his career watching him from the right field bleachers at Wrigley. He worked pitchers, pitchers didn't work him. It was almost a script; take the first pitch, maybe the second, foul off a few then rip a line drive stand up double in the gap. It's really sad to see him go. I was aware of his cancer but thought it was under control. Gone far too soon.

gregr2
06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Did I read it hear somewhere that he was one of the very first players to study tape of pitchers prior to each game?

itjclarke
06-17-2014, 12:08 AM
Stay classy ESPN.. I just watched intro to the 11pm (PST) SportsCenter and they made no mention of Gwynn in the intro. World Cup, Tim Duncan's Legacy (I get both of those), but then teased with an opposite field HR by Giancarlo Stanton and a start by Verlander. Yeah, that HR was pretty nuts, but I think the passing of one of the greatest hitters of the past 40 years is probably worth mention in the intro.:confused:

RedlegsFan
06-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Tony. What a wonderful human being. I know he was always one of the greats, but his character and beliefs always outshined his celebrity in my opinion. I guess God needed him back. Tony. The human.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

the 'stache
06-17-2014, 06:07 AM
Just saw this. How good was Gwynn?

He faced Greg Maddux 107 times, more than any other pitcher. Gwynn hit .415 off of him, and never struck out.

That's incredible.

Man, I am sad. Loved Gwynn. :(

the 'stache
06-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz faced him 287 times, and they struck him out a combined 3 times. Wow.

Peter_Spaeth
06-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Just saw this. How good was Gwynn?

He faced Greg Maddux 107 times, more than any other pitcher. Gwynn hit .415 off of him, and never struck out.

That's incredible.

Man, I am sad. Loved Gwynn. :(

Maddux made his living off of making hitters think balls were strikes. Gwynn was probably the one guy who he couldn't fool.

kailes2872
06-17-2014, 09:33 AM
If you have not seen it, the Olbermann tribute was fanatstic

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-tearfully-remembers-tony-gwynn-1591925235?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

clydepepper
06-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Bill - I enjoy your passion for the game

Brian - I cannot come up with any more encouraging words for you as you make your Lebron, uh, decision.

But seriously, do what makes you happy...Baseball will be here when you return.

mrvster
06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
brought a tear to my eye.....a childhood hero to me.....I would ride my bike to buy '83 topps and find some rookies of him...Keith O.'s commentary was great...I am just saddened by this very much.....prayers to his family and friends....rest in Peace Mr. Gywnn....rest in peace....

tjb1952tjb
06-18-2014, 01:22 AM
A true local icon here in San Diego. His bronze statue at Petco Park is completely encircled with piled-high tributes. I met him a couple times.....never a more gracious man could one meet. He made my young son feel as if he was important to him.....his smile and kind words of encouragement meant the world to so many. He will be truly missed.........

the 'stache
06-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Yeah, that strike took away his chance to achieve something that would be remembered for ages. But he never showed any bitterness over his lost opportunity.

The strike cost him .400. I've always felt that way, and the numbers back it up, Sean.

He played 10 games in August, right before the strike hit. How was he doing in August, you may ask?

He had 19 hits in 40 at bats. He was hitting .475 in August. And in those 40 at bats..he struck out one time.

Tony was in the zone.

His 1994 performance was part of maybe the greatest five year hitting demonstrations in modern baseball history. From 1993 to 1997 (age 33 to 37), he hit .358, .394, .368, .353, and .372. His composite batting average for those 5 years was .368. And remember, by this point in his career, Tony had added weight. His knees were betraying him. And when you consider that Tony had changed his approach at the plate, what he accomplished was all the more impressive. Read this article on Deadspin about his chance meeting with Ted Williams at the 1992 All Star Game.

http://deadspin.com/how-tony-gwynn-cracked-baseballs-code-and-became-a-lege-1591491368

Tony went from hitting .309, .317, .317 from 1990 to 1992 to the mind-boggling five year streak I referred to. Hell, at ages 40 and 41, when he was just a part time player, with only 229 at bats between those two seasons, he still hit .323.

The man was incredible.

the 'stache
06-18-2014, 02:54 AM
If you have not seen it, the Olbermann tribute was fanatstic

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-tearfully-remembers-tony-gwynn-1591925235?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Thank you for sharing this, Kevin. I used to watch Keith's show religiously. I had to set my DVR to record it, as some nights I just didn't feel up to watching it live. But ESPN kept moving his show all over the place, so I'd get Sportscenter, or Nascar weekly, or something else instead of his show. I ended up just canceling it, and of course, I would have missed this.

Seeing/hearing him tear up at the end really got to me, too. But it's ok. Tony was one of a kind.

ValKehl
06-18-2014, 03:22 PM
This fantastic tribute to Tony Gwynn & Don Zimmer by Tom Boswell, the dean of Wash., DC, sports writers, appears in today's Washington Post. I guarantee that you'll be glad you took the time to read it!
Val
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-tony-gwynn-and-don-zimmer-baseball-loses-two-of-its-best-ambassadors/2014/06/17/b404b560-f63c-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html

UnVme7
06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Watched this video a while back of Gwynn with a rude autograph seeker. It's great.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNs-LIaY1gg

the 'stache
06-18-2014, 08:46 PM
This fantastic tribute to Tony Gwynn & Don Zimmer by Tom Boswell, the dean of Wash., DC, sports writers, appears in today's Washington Post. I guarantee that you'll be glad you took the time to read it!
Val
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-tony-gwynn-and-don-zimmer-baseball-loses-two-of-its-best-ambassadors/2014/06/17/b404b560-f63c-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html

By the way, Val, I did read this. Great article. And I am more saddened now with Gwynn and Zimmer coupled together. He's right, they were both great ambassadors for the game. For me, the indelible image of Zimmer will always be his going head to head with Pedro Martinez, a guy nearly 1/3 his age. Zim never backed down from a challenge. But he was always fair, always the instructor. He would always go the extra mile to help somebody.

This has been a really bad week for the baseball family. :(

Watched this video a while back of Gwynn with a rude autograph seeker. It's great.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNs-LIaY1gg

I'm watching it now, Nate.

Anybody shocked that the very first thing you hear is Tony laughing?

I think he handled that perfectly. Classy as always, but with firm resolve. He was right. He didn't "owe" that guy anything.

MVSNYC
06-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Tim Kurkjian did one of his great statistical tributes to Gwynn the other night on ESPN. Some of his records/stats are just mind-boggling. Two of them that jumped out at me...Only Ty Cobb had more consecutive .300 seasons...And his .338 lifetime average places him 17th on the all-time list, BUT only 2 players in the top 20 played after 1939...Ted Williams and Tony Gwynn. Wow.

RIP.

ZachS
06-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Didn't see this posted yet... great article about Tony. Read the entire thing. It speaks volumes about his character.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-tony-gwynns-bat-boy-1592123043

The last homestand of the season, Tony's official Nike catalog showed up in our locker one day, with a note in his familiar handwriting. "Pick a pair," the note said. We each happily circled a pair with the pen he provided. Later that week, before a game, the shoes appeared in our locker, along with a check for $500 for each of us. I didn't even care about the money itself—THIS WAS A HANDWRITTEN CHECK FROM TONY GWYNN. ADDRESSED TO ME. (I think I waited five months to cash that damn check. When I did, the bank teller's eyes got big and she looked down at the check, up at me, down at the check.) A few games after the shoes appeared, the equipment manager, our boss, told us: "You know, Tony drove down to Foot Locker himself and bought those shoes for you guys. You probably thought he had them delivered or something. But he went down there. That's what he does."

clydepepper
06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Tony Gwynn, Jr. returns to standing ovation

new video on ESPN.com - which leads to some more, great Sr. Gwynn stories

I recommend you watch.

irishdenny
06-25-2014, 09:47 PM
You guys made me Cry again...

Tony was Brilliant!!!