PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to handle the loss of a State Championship?

wazoo
06-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Hey all! Last night was a crazy one for my team and myself. We made it to the state championship at Centennial Field (Lake Monsters, single A affiliate of the A's) and we battled it out into extra innings. It was amazing, under the lights until 11:30. We lost in the end, but it was an amazing experience. Winning isn't everything, but it sure would've been enjoyable. I always have my senior year.

Anyone else have any state championship stories?

Stonepony
06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes, in tennis. In 1978 my partner and I won the Kansas 6A State Championship (sophomore) and again in 1980 ( senior). Our Junior year we placed 2nd in a very painful way. The match was in third set tiebreaker . At 6-6 in the tiebreaker the State Championship came down to a single point. I served approached the net.. Ball returned to me.. I volleyed. Other player popped a little blooper right between and over my partner and myself. Landed in by an inch. State Championship lost in a single intense point. How many times have a replayed that point in my head in the last 35 years?? Thousands!

UnVme7
06-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Yes, in tennis. In 1978 my partner and I won the Kansas 6A State Championship (sophomore) and again in 1980 ( senior). Our Junior year we placed 2nd in a very painful way. The match was in third set tiebreaker . At 6-6 in the tiebreaker the State Championship came down to a single point. I served approached the net.. Ball returned to me.. I volleyed. Other player popped a little blooper right between and over my partner and myself. Landed in by an inch. State Championship lost in a single intense point. How many times have a replayed that point in my head in the last 35 years?? Thousands!

Where are you from, Dave? I'm from Topeka.

bnorth
06-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Some times it takes a long time to get over a loss. I won several state boxing titles in the early/mid 80's. When I was fighting for the title in 86 and lost I was so disappointed I never stepped into the ring again.

I was fighting the former Air Force national champ and was easily winning when for no reason the ref. gave me a standing 8 count, then 2 more while I was the one doing the a$$ kicking. It was so bad the whole crowd was booing each 8 count. Turned out the ref. was also his coach.

Stonepony
06-15-2014, 03:59 PM
"Where are you from, Dave? I'm from Topeka."

I'm from Overland Park, went to Shawnee Mission East. Played many matches against Topeka and Topeka West

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-15-2014, 04:28 PM
We lost a state mock trial and that was hard. While the judges were out the other team's coaches congratulated us on winning. The ballots came in 2-1 against us. The presiding judge (a sitting federal judge) told it us it made no sense. It hurt for a while but we agreed that we have it our all and that made it better with time.

clydepepper
06-15-2014, 04:55 PM
We lost our first game, came up through the losers bracket - winning 5 (that's right 5!) games on Saturday...to land us in the final...we were leading at about midnight Sunday night when the opposing manager went postal and the umps forfeited the game to us...that detail did not matter anyway...we still would have won- just as sweet. So, anyway, the tournament was played in Macon and I had to report to my first management job in Columbus (couple of hundred miles away) at 8am. Fleeting time to soak it in...that's what the trophy is for.

Our catcher played every inning of all 5 Saturday games and was ready for the final...I can't even remember being in that kind of shape!

christopher.herman
06-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Waz, learning how to lose while still maintaining dignity, integrity and class is an important life lesson. We've all been there and, in the long run, accepting a loss and growing from it has made me a more empathetic adult. I've learned exponentially more about myself from my losses than my wins. I'm sure you and your teammates gave it your best and left it all out on the field.

That being said, learn and grow and build on your strengths and kick some ass next year!

Orioles1954
06-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Having gone to a high school where the baseball team won a total of 10 games during my four years (the football team averages 1-3 wins per year), just being able to qualify is eons better than most student athletes could ever dream of.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Waz, learning how to lose while still maintaining dignity, integrity and class is an important life lesson. We've all been there and, in the long run, accepting a loss and growing from it has made me a more empathetic adult. I've learned exponentially more about myself from my losses than my wins. I'm sure you and your teammates gave it your best and left it all out on the field.

That being said, learn and grow and build on your strengths and kick some ass next year!

This is very true. There is a great seen from Rounders (a movie about a poker player) where Matt Damon says, "I don't remember all the games I won to build my bank roll but I can't stop thinking about how I lost it."

Vintageismygame
06-15-2014, 09:42 PM
In football we went 48-1 throughout my 4 years. Only loss was in the state title game. We went to the state title game 8 years in a row and were featured in ESPN.

HexsHeroes
06-16-2014, 08:37 AM

Junior year lost to a better team. No shame or excuses in that.

Senior year lost due to a combination of weather, questionable officiating decision, and good pitching.

Alittle more on the questionable officiating decision; weather terrible all day with lots of rain and delays. By time we play, field quite saturated. We were the home time. First inning, opponents had bases loaded and two outs. Batters hits slow roller into standing water infront of third base, and disappears. By time our 3rd baseman locates ball, three runners score. True story. But even worse. Next opponent batter gets out, and officials postpone game at that point. Score stands after one-half inning; to resume the following day. My head coach went ballistic, and filed protest (all for naught). We lose 3-2 after completion the next day. Our team was pretty good. Four first-team all-state ballplayers on that senior squad. I was no hit, excellent defensive utility player (outfielder/catcher/1st base/3rd base).

My 15 seconds of fame claim; double and triple putouts at the plate (while catching) my sophmore season (different opponents). The triple putout was painful. Tag sliding baserunner to the left, tag 2nd sliding baserunner to the right; third baserunner POWWW !!! Bowled me right over but good. But I held onto the ball. Hurts just thinking about it. Those were my Glory Days (but not so glorious) :-)

GregMitch34
06-16-2014, 08:44 AM
I managed team to Little League state finals in NY at the "juniors" level (13-14). We lost but only later learned the other team should have been disqualified, and perhaps for first time it was not use of over-age player but UNDER age, kid was only 12. I know it may seem like younger should be allowed but strictly against rules....

markf31
06-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Was lucky to have played on Mt. Lebanon's 1998 PA State Baseball Championship. I was a middle infielder and had the luck(?) and pleasure to have played behind Don Kelly (Detroit Tigers) and Josh Wilson (currently in the Texas Rangers organization but has played 410 Major League games). I didn't see the field much playing behind those two.

DixieBaseball
06-16-2014, 09:10 AM
My sophomore year, our baseball team was loaded and we knew it, we worked hard and were able to make it out of the hardest part of the baseball schedule/tourney by winning the district and region in Nashville & mid-state area of Tn, then we go to a sub-state game, where winner advances to State Tourney, and we run into a buzz-saw (stud pitcher) and lose 1-0 (Or possible 2-1, memory is fading). I have always heard good pitching beats good hitting and I do believe it. At least the majority of the time. I won't ever forget that year, as our team was good enough to win the state championship. All the pieces were in place until we met Senior Smoke! We did rally 2 years later and won the Tennessee State Championship my senior year. We broke almost every team hitting record in the state. These records still stand some 20+ years later. (Most Runs scored, Most hits by a team, largest margin of victory, etc. - 3 games in State Tourney) That team was a special team that won the State, but I always felt like the team my sophomore year may have been a smidge better. (Best team doesn't always win) As a side note, individually - I was a lead off hitter my Sophomore year and was able to go yard at Vanderbilt off a pretty tough Lefty. I got a little lucky as he came inside and I just took it down the LF line) ---- Segway ---- Love seeing our home team - Vandy compete at CWS right now. Coach Corbin is a special coach and even better man.

Bocabirdman
06-16-2014, 11:41 AM
My freshman year in college, I lost a Beer Pong Championship while in an inebriated State . Does that count?

deadballfreaK
06-16-2014, 04:14 PM
I graduated in 1972. We had a great football team (went like 18-1-1 in two years) but it was 8 man football and so we couldn't even get a chance at a state championship. Small school. Three years after I graduated our school consolidated with two other small towns and all of a sudden our basketball team came together. The best players were all from our town, but we got a couple of good bench players from the other really small towns and a guy about 6'4" transferred in who was a fair center. I think we started like 1-4 and then won about 22 straight games. This was in Indiana before they broke up into the present system. Our guys kept winning and winning and beat a lot of bigger schools. It was all teamwork. No real stars. Had a couple guys who were good for 15 points. We got one game away from the championship. Got down early by 10-12 against a huge talented team. Our guys battled like crazy and kept cutting it down. We were down 4 through most of the 4th quarter but couldn't quite do it. Lost by 6 points I think. It was almost like "Hoosiers". My home town is just as proud of those guys as if we had won it all.

About 15 years later we had a charity event. Two man game to 20 with various age groups. Me and my buddy entered as a lark and we were amazingly good. Mowed em down, but then we finally came up against the best two players from our heroic 1975 team. We were kicking their ass. Up 16-10 and I just wore out and I think my buddy did too. It was like our 4th game in 2 hours and my lungs quit! The guy guarding me just posterized me about 2 times in a row. Couldn't get my feet off the floor I was so tired! 10 points in a row and they won the championship 20-16. I tried so hard they almost had to give me oxygen.

This sure is a rambling post, but I guess the moral is winning isn't everything. Battling your hardest and finishing second is something you can look back on and be proud of.

soccersaver97
06-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Not sports related but I came in 1st in Pa state championship in a business competition (FBLA if anyone has heard of it). My event was Banking and Financial Systems. I made it to nationals, but I am going to Cuba at the end of this month and it interferes with the national competition :(. Back to sports, I hope to go to States for tennis next year!