PDA

View Full Version : Another Tiger Fan Newbie

davidsb
06-13-2014, 06:37 AM
AWESOME site!! How did I not stumble across this place before?! Thanks to fellow newbie jimtigers65 for hooking me up. Me and Jim have been trading with each other for 35+ years going back to our little league days in the mid/late 70’s.

I started collecting in 1972 when my uncle gave me a box of beat-up cards from 62-71. I started buying packs in 1973 and have been hooked ever since. A couple of years ago I thinned out my collection to only include Detroit Tigers and Topps sets. I sorted out about 50,000 cards that no longer fit my collection into teams and sent them to childrens hospitals in the respective cities (I challenge others to do the same with their extra cards).

My latest obsession is collecting autographed index cards of former Tigers and turning them into a custom baseball card. Regular cards have taken a backseat the past year to my customs. I love to make custom cards and having them autographed. Not just my own design but of players on a Topps design who might not have had a regularly issued card otherwise. I also have a thing for Seattle Pilot autographs on my customs. Feel free to take a look at some of my work here:

http://www.sportscollectors.net/PhotoGallery.aspx?un=davidsb

Thank you for allowing me to ramble on and I hope to become a valuable member here. GO Tigers!!

Leon
06-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Welcome to the Forum Dave. There are a lot of us collectors on here who collected in the late 60s and 70s as kids. Good luck in the quest!!

billyb
06-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Welcome Dave, always glad to see another Tiger fan. Hope you enjoy yourself here, but it is addictive.
Good place to broaden your knowledge, like press photos.
They can be fun.

sebie43
06-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the board Dave, Im a Michigander and also a diehard Tigers fan, good luck in your collecting.

ethicsprof
06-13-2014, 10:43 AM
welcome aboard the board!!
all the best,
barry

CW
06-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the forum!

brewing
06-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Go get em Tigers.

My favorite Detroit card that I own (acquired from board member).
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/14/e7unu3y7.jpg

I'm looking for Playball and Bowman Tiger cards.

insidethewrapper
06-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the board. As you can tell I'm a Detroit collector also, from the 19th Century to Cobb to Kaline etc. It's a fun hobby.