PDA

View Full Version : OT: Civil Rights Game

HOF Auto Rookies
06-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Hey all,

I know this is off topic, but I thought I would share this because of the background and celebration on this event. I work with the Huntsville Stars AA affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, and we had hosted a Civil Rights Game on May 30th, like what the Astros did this season on the same day.

It was a tremendous event with a great turnout, and I just wanted to share that I had come up with the idea to personally design and make cards of two former ex-Negro League players Eugene Scruggs (Kansas City Monarchs) and Carl Holden (Birmingham Black Barons) based off of arguably one of the most popular set of all-time, 1952 Topps, which was why I had requested a photo of them earlier.

This was a significant and important event to help bring the inner city youth back into the game, as well to celebrate and honor these gentlemen for what they had been through to play the game we all have come to love.

I was able to meet with them and hear their stories, as well as get some cards signed for the staff, my family, and friends to cherish forever for this special occasion. We hosted them at our park to honor them and we gave away the cards I had made as a special ballpark promotion for the fans. I cannot properly describe the expression and look on kids' faces as they received the cards and got them signed by these two obscure gentlemen.

It's a small wrinkle in history that I will forever be blessed to have been apart of, and in my wildest dreams, I would have never imagined that I would personally take this as my own and run with it, as well as make a baseball card.

I hope you enjoy these cards as much as I do, I have a few left that I may sell and donate to the National Negro League Baseball Museum as a thanks for the photos. Please let me know if you may be interested in getting any.

Cheers,

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
06-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Very cool, Brent, on a few levels. And you must be one heckuva ballplayer to be in the "doubs"...... I was/am ok but could only dream of really being that good....kudo's....

HOF Auto Rookies
06-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I work for them lol, sorry for the confusion. Edited to change that :)

Leon
06-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I work for them lol, sorry for the confusion. Edited to change that :)

Oh well, I have known some guys in double A and triple A and man oh man.....great ballplayers. Greg Swindell's brother, Corky, and I used to play together. He was good too but got blackballed for smoking weed. :( I think he had made it to the doubs...

irishdenny
06-08-2014, 04:38 AM
Sure Brent,

How Cool is this...

I'd Love a pair! Please let me know what ya need from me!?
An Amazing cause... Sweet looking Park Perks ta boot!
I'd Love them Auto'd if that's possible?

HOF Auto Rookies
06-08-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm trying to think of how much I want to charge so I can donate and not lose money and paying out of pocket for shipping etc, I have a couple left that are signed as extras

HOF Auto Rookies
06-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Leon,

Yeah it's tough when that happens with players, I have a good friend that almost had his career ruined, but he's back at it not!

MacDice
06-08-2014, 11:18 AM
What do you specifically do for the Stars?

HOF Auto Rookies
06-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm in the front office, but I literally help with everything imaginable you can think of for a ball team

bwbc917
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Great tribute!! Well done.

irishdenny
06-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm trying to think of how much I want to charge so I can donate and not lose money and paying out of pocket for shipping etc, I have a couple left that are signed as extras

Brent,

I'm patient... Please just PM me when you get it figured out!

HOF Auto Rookies
06-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Lol, will do my friend!

HOF Auto Rookies
06-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Ok, I have 7 signed cards left and around 20 unsigned left. Signed ones are $20 each and unsigned $10 each. Please let me know if you're interested.

Remember, 100% of the proceeds go to the museum and I will email each one of you a receipt proving that donation.

Thanks!