PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who is going to the National:

vintagebaseball
06-06-2014, 11:07 PM
I am just wondering how many Net54s are going to the National in Cleveland?

shernan30
06-07-2014, 05:59 AM
I will be there!! Can't wait, this will be my first National.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cincyredlegs
06-07-2014, 06:26 AM
I will be there on Thursday and Friday.

Mark.

larrie804
06-07-2014, 06:27 AM
I will be there! A "super booth" in aisle 27!

Larrie Dean
Dean's House of Cards( (not Dean's Cards)

kailes2872
06-07-2014, 07:24 AM

+1

Jewish-collector
06-07-2014, 07:28 AM
I will be there Wednesday thru Saturday.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif

ullmandds
06-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Alan...no boy band concerts this year?

Brian Van Horn
06-07-2014, 07:30 AM
I will be there and looking forward to taking care of the inner kid in me by going on the ferris wheel.

Leon
06-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Scott B and I will be there and set up with a lot of vintage...... Probably set up Thurs-Sun....but will be there on Wed too.....

JakeStahl'sGloveSHows
06-07-2014, 08:47 AM
I will be there Wednesday thru Friday attending National #5 '88 AC '03 AC '06 Anaheim '10 Baltimore

brightair
06-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Will be there the whole week, I've learned it takes me 5 days to see everything!
I'll be, along with maybe 15 others, wearing a white OBC hat.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-07-2014, 09:29 AM
I will probably be there during the weekend.

Runscott
06-07-2014, 09:36 AM
David (Cycleback) and I will have a table with loads of vintage stuff (Wednesday-Sunday)

slipk1068
06-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I was planning on attending. Then I got to thinking about the cost. I estimate it will cost me at least 1.5k in travel and lodging expense so I could walk around and look at over-priced cards. I can stay home, keep that money, and have it to spend on a fairly priced card which I can purchase from the comfort of my living room.

The downside is it is always fun to talk cards with folks and look at some really cool items. Just not sure that is worth the cost. Anyone want to try to convince me I am wrong and should attend?

Runscott
06-07-2014, 10:01 AM
I was planning on attending. Then I got to thinking about the cost. I estimate it will cost me at least 1.5k in travel and lodging expense so I could walk around and look at over-priced cards. I can stay home, keep that money, and have it to spend on a fairly priced card which I can purchase from the comfort of my living room.

The downside is it is always fun to talk cards with folks and look at some really cool items. Just not sure that is worth the cost. Anyone want to try to convince me I am wrong and should attend?

You are going to the wrong tables, staying in the wrong hotels, and shopping at the wrong websites for airplane tickets. Either that or you are using the wrong spreadsheet software to calculate costs.

Donscards
06-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I will be at the National set up near the Ferris Wheel---I have 8 showcases of graded cards---Mayo's--Ginters-10 Ty Cobb cards---1930's-Loaded with Hall of Famers---I am breaking up at 1952 Topps set with a psa 5 Mantle--all the stars are graded from 6 to 8---Plenty of 50's breaking a 58 set with psa 8 Yellow letters---Plus other stars etc.---My cost for a plane was $460 round trip--hotel is expensive since I am staying at the Sheriaton close by but u can find hotels for $50 3 miles away----I will be setting up tuesday---This is always a great time for all the good reasons. Don

toppcat
06-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Not me this year unfortunately. Next year I hope (we have to work around a two week vacation trip)!

Jaybird
06-07-2014, 12:53 PM
You are going to the wrong tables, staying in the wrong hotels, and shopping at the wrong websites for airplane tickets. Either that or you are using the wrong spreadsheet software to calculate costs.

Nice assessment. I will add that I wouldn't ever convince someone to do something that they already figured out they didn't want to do. No win situation there.

I go because I always find something interesting and have a ton of fun seeing friends and meeting new ones.

Exhibitman
06-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Not looking good for me right now. I hurt my ankle earlier this year and put off an MRI and possible surgery in the hope I could rehab it, but I was on vacation last week and after a few days of moderate city walking it blew up and is still agonizing. I will get it MRI'd and find out what's exactly happening but the MD suspects a shredded tendon that will need to be repaired. So, unless we find some sort of interim solution there is no way to do the show--after a few hours of roaming the floor the first day I'd be toast.

GehrigFan
06-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Haven't heard from my boss but I believe I will be attending. I sure hope so. Only missed one since 1997. Great to see old friends and the museum quality items at the booths.

uffda51
06-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Not this year. Two reasons. 1. Cleveland 2. Cleveland. Plan to be in Chicago next year . . .

Donscards
06-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Not this year. Two reasons. 1. Cleveland 2. Cleveland. Plan to be in Chicago next year . . .

I guess you dont like Cleveland !---I cant wait---Love the National

brightair
06-07-2014, 08:43 PM
One thing I will miss is the net54 dinner!

Moonlight Graham
06-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Well, I'm from Cleveland and I still live in the area so I will be there every day. The renovation of League Park may be finished by then. It's in a not-so-great part of town but if any of you are interested in seeing it, let me know and I can give you directions on how to get there from wherever you're staying. Also, from there you can head to a probably worse section of town to see Big Ed Delahanty's grave at Calvary Cemetery, which in 1903, was one of the ritziest sections of Cleveland.

Joe

btkpath
06-08-2014, 12:06 AM
I will be there on Friday. Looking forward to seeing as many friends as possible!

Runscott
06-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Adam, that's why God invented alcohol. 3 hrs on the floor, 3 hrs in the bar. Best combo since peanut butter cups

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Gmrson
06-08-2014, 04:53 PM
I'll be there Wed thru Sat. My 22nd National. Can't wait!

bcbgcbrcb
06-08-2014, 06:57 PM
I will be there on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, including all post-show auctions/dinners.

bcornell
06-08-2014, 07:20 PM

Not attending this year, breaking an 11-year streak. As Leon always says "I don't care where it is", but a 4th trip to Cleveland exceeded my lifetime's quota.

Buck up, Adam. Next year, Silverman can push your wheelchair.

E93
06-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure if I will make it this year due to health issues. It will be my first miss in a number of years. I look forward to making it next year.
JimB

HRBAKER
06-08-2014, 09:45 PM
No go for me this year. My daughter is getting married and my attendance (and checkbook) is required.

bcornell
06-08-2014, 11:19 PM
No go for me this year. My daughter is getting married and my attendance (and checkbook) is required.

Excuses, excuses.

Oh, yeah - congratulations, Jeff.

Ejm1
06-09-2014, 06:16 AM
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

PM770
06-09-2014, 06:28 AM
I'll be there Thursday through Saturday for sure. Sunday only if my kids want to go (9 & 7 y.o) and I haven't decided about Wednesday yet.

Jason
06-09-2014, 06:53 AM
I am going to be there Thursday and Friday.

edhans
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
No Adam, Bill C., Jim B. and TBob. We may as well cancel the damn thing.

edhans
06-09-2014, 09:59 AM
The only thing that could save this National is an appearance by Barry Sloate!

BruceinGa
06-09-2014, 10:22 AM

Same here, Wed through Sat. I'll be wearing a Worth hat.

barrysloate
06-09-2014, 11:09 AM
The only thing that could save this National is an appearance by Barry Sloate!

The last show I went to was in 1999. And my last National was probably twenty years ago. Given those facts, the odds aren't good. But thanks for remembering me.:)

edhans
06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
The last show I went to was in 1999. And my last National was probably twenty years ago. Given those facts, the odds aren't good. But thanks for remembering me.:)

Just cancelled my hotel reservation.

Runscott
06-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Perhaps we could have a 'mini-National' in Barry's backyard next year.

PaintedGloves
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
I'll be there on Sat. and maybe Sunday. Can't wait!

barrysloate
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Perhaps we could have a 'mini-National' in Barry's backyard next year.

If they had it at the Barclay Center I could walk over for a visit.

ullmandds
06-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I am skipping it this year

Jcfowler6
06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Driving up from Y-town.

shernan30
06-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Driving up from Y-town.

What part of Y-town? I'm from Austintown.

Jcfowler6
06-09-2014, 02:56 PM
What part of Y-town? I'm from Austintown.

Cool. I'm in Boardman.

ValKehl
06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I'll be there for 2 days - probably Thursday & Friday.
Val

kmac32
06-09-2014, 06:20 PM
No National for me this year. Havent been to one since Chicago in 2008 or 2009 as the hotel and flight costs make it cost prohibitive. For what I would spend on those things alone, can pick up a low grade E121 Ruth or quite a few W572 cards so why bother. Now if they would try it here on the West coast occasionally, that's another story.

Vintagecatcher
06-09-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm waiting for the Atlantic City National.

Looks like a lot of competition on eBay this year during the National with all the others that are passing as well.

Best of luck to all who are attending.

Patrick

wazoo
06-09-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm waiting for the Atlantic City National.

Looks like a lot of competition on eBay this year during the National with all the others that are passing as well.

Best of luck to all who are attending.

Patrick

As am I.

jcmtiger
06-09-2014, 09:42 PM

You must be traveling from the West Coast for those costs. Attended Cleveland about 10 years ago, was not impressed. might show up.

Joe

mark evans
06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I doubt it. I haven't bought much at recent shows, as I already have all the cards that I want and can also afford. Still fun to walk the floor and socialize but hard to justify the trip. May make the Atlantic City show.

tbob
06-16-2014, 07:18 PM

+1

Runscott
06-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Lots of reasons to go anyway:

Indians are in town all 5 days
All of the hotels have bars
We will be in the bars
Re-vamped area next to the burning river is really cool
The dealers will all be there, so apparently there will be less competition from fellow collectors
Board members who you have never met will be there
There will be at least 6 people there who represent 5 forum grudges, so you can either see happy new friendships or old guys punching each other
free autographs from sports figures you have never heard of

(edited to add 5th grudge I had forgotten about)

polakoff
06-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Thinking about going, it would be my first time, but don't have the funds to do it myself. Hoping to find a ride/hotel partner.

06-16-2014, 11:12 PM
...There will be at least 6 people there who represent 5 forum grudges, so you can either see happy new friendships or old guys punching each other...

I did a spit take when I read this - hilarious Scott!

Al C.risafulli
06-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I will be there, once again set up side by side with my pal Ryan Christoff. I'll be accepting consignments for and displaying material from the summer LOTG auction, and Ryan will be selling and displaying selections from his amazing inventory of Cuban material. As with the last two years, we will have annoying music, a free pack of cards for the kids, and a chair for you to take a rest in while you show us what you bought. Please stop by and say hi.

And of course, when the show floor is closed, I'll be in the bar.

-Al

autograf
06-17-2014, 12:52 PM
I'll be there with Cliftons8 (Mike Brockman) part of the usual group I go with. Jeff Drum (HRBAKER) is out this year as are a couple other guys from our group. I'm not sure how many Clevelands this is but this is #23 National in a row. First one, 1992 Atlanta..........more Clevelands and Chicagos than I want to count, some St. Louis, Houston, ACity,2-3 Anaheims and another Atlanta I think.

tbob
06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
No Adam, Bill C., Jim B. and TBob. We may as well cancel the damn thing.

One great regret about missing the National is not having my annual dinner and lots of great hanging around with Ed and Gary Nucherino. Not getting to see Adam, Jim B. and Bill C., even if I went, would seem weird. I know a lot of my friends ARE going so I wish them a fantastic time and hope to see you all in Chicago next summer. With the dearth of cards I need to try to complete sets available at the National, the comeraderie of fellow collectors is the main reason I go the Nationals now...

jp1216
06-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Be there Friday and hopefully Saturday. Less than 10 miles away. Can't wait.

bnorth
06-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Have fun Jon. I almost wish I was going so I could pester you into showing me your amazing Ripken collection in person.

NotoriousBOB
06-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Easy commute for you.

I am there Wed - Sun

Exhibitman
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Not looking good for me right now. I hurt my ankle earlier this year and put off an MRI and possible surgery in the hope I could rehab it, but I was on vacation last week and after a few days of moderate city walking it blew up and is still agonizing. I will get it MRI'd and find out what's exactly happening but the MD suspects a shredded tendon that will need to be repaired. So, unless we find some sort of interim solution there is no way to do the show--after a few hours of roaming the floor the first day I'd be toast.

2nd opinion sought out, slightly different diagnosis and treatment, so I am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to make the trip, albeit in a leg brace. I won't make the final call until a week or two before the show. Then it's lots of Advil and ice packs...

The only bright spot in this is that I qualify for a temporary handicapped parking permit. That is a huge deal in Los Angeles, especially if I go to the beach, a concert or the ballgame, or virtually any restaurant of note. Plus, I get to pre-board the flight to Cleveland. Sweet!

Leon
06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
2nd opinion sought out, slightly different diagnosis and treatment, so I am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to make the trip, albeit in a leg brace. I won't make the final call until a week or two before the show. Then it's lots of Advil and ice packs...

The only bright spot in this is that I qualify for a temporary handicapped parking permit. That is a huge deal in Los Angeles, especially if I go to the beach, a concert or the ballgame, or virtually any restaurant of note. Plus, I get to pre-board the flight to Cleveland. Sweet!

Hope you can make it, Adam. There are enough dealers you know that you can have a rest every several feet if you need to. You have an open invitation to sit behind our table and rest as long as you want to. Going to the National for me is more about seeing old friends than it is picking anything up or selling anything. I do that all of the time online. I know I am in the small minority but I love hanging out and talking cards and stuff more than anything else...

edhans
06-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Hope you can make it, Adam. There are enough dealers you know that you can have a rest every several feet if you need to. You have an open invitation to sit behind our table and rest as long as you want to. Going to the National for me is more about seeing old friends than it is picking anything up or selling anything. I do that all of the time online. I know I am in the small minority but I love hanging out and talking cards and stuff more than anything else...

+1 We'll always have an extra chair at our booth for you, Adam.

earlywynnfan
06-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Lots of reasons to go anyway:

Indians are in town all 5 days
All of the hotels have bars
We will be in the bars
Re-vamped area next to the burning river is really cool
The dealers will all be there, so apparently there will be less competition from fellow collectors
Board members who you have never met will be there
There will be at least 6 people there who represent 5 forum grudges, so you can either see happy new friendships or old guys punching each other
free autographs from sports figures you have never heard of

(edited to add 5th grudge I had forgotten about)

You know, as one of those grudges, I'm really angry about this post. How do you know I'm old?? Sure, I'm at the far end of middle age, and I have the back of an 80-year old, and I take way too many bathroom breaks through the night, and I can't stand the music these kids listen to these days, and...

Disregard. I'm old.
Since I never could take a punch anyways, I'm just going to plan on being part of a happy new friendship.

Ken

PS: The river burned 40 years ago, so those jokes are passe. We are a new, improved Cleveland. Please keep all jokes fresh. Suggestions: the Browns, the Cavs, Manziel, midges, or the Cleveland Public School System. (OK, that last one has also been a joke for 40 years.)

kailes2872
06-18-2014, 07:24 PM
This post prompted me to get my hotel locked up (coming from North of Pittsburgh). The Residence Inn and Marriott were sold out and I wanted to use points, so I am staying at the Courtyard Cleveland Airport North - 24901 Country Club Boulevard, North Olmstead.

Me and my two sons will be checking in Friday, hitting the show, going back at it all day on Saturday and then making the late night trek back to Cranberry.

If anyone is staying at the same hotel, let me know.

Kevin

Runscott
06-18-2014, 07:38 PM
You know, as one of those grudges, I'm really angry about this post. How do you know I'm old?? Sure, I'm at the far end of middle age, and I have the back of an 80-year old, and I take way too many bathroom breaks through the night, and I can't stand the music these kids listen to these days, and...

Disregard. I'm old.
Since I never could take a punch anyways, I'm just going to plan on being part of a happy new friendship.

Ken

PS: The river burned 40 years ago, so those jokes are passe. We are a new, improved Cleveland. Please keep all jokes fresh. Suggestions: the Browns, the Cavs, Manziel, midges, or the Cleveland Public School System. (OK, that last one has also been a joke for 40 years.)

Thanks, Ken - I look forward to meeting you. I wasn't actually poking fun at the burning river thing - I just couldn't remember what that area was called. When I first visited Cleveland (to see a ballgame at the old gigantic stadium), they had fixed up that new area and there were still a lot of references to the river.

Manziel could very well be the new Cleveland joke, but since I went to the same school he did, whatever he does to embarrass Cleveland will further embarrass myself and Texas A&M as well.

Blunder19
06-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I will be there running around with Chris looking for T206 rare backs and errors

polakoff
06-18-2014, 08:45 PM
After getting a few PMs encouraging me to go to my first national, I'll try to make it work. Going to talk to some nearby folks about ride/hotel sharing. I can't really do it by myself (the trip from Raleigh is a tad bit far...I'll fall asleep at the wheel).

Any suggestions? Should I avoid staying far away despite cheaper rates? What are the best days to go if I can't do all 5?

pcoz
06-19-2014, 05:37 AM
I'll be going for just my second time. Not sure which days, but looking forward to meeting some new friends from the board!

earlywynnfan
06-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks, Ken - I look forward to meeting you. I wasn't actually poking fun at the burning river thing - I just couldn't remember what that area was called. When I first visited Cleveland (to see a ballgame at the old gigantic stadium), they had fixed up that new area and there were still a lot of references to the river.

Manziel could very well be the new Cleveland joke, but since I went to the same school he did, whatever he does to embarrass Cleveland will further embarrass myself and Texas A&M as well.

That'd be the flats, but it's not what it was, it's being completely redeveloped now. Probably the best area to hang out or have drinks would be west 4th, just a couple blocks over from the Indians' stadium.

ZachS
06-19-2014, 07:37 AM
I wish I could make it but I have a family vacation coming up the week before. I couldn't justify spending more money and missing more work. Maybe next year...

AddieJoss
06-20-2014, 06:52 AM
I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Should be a good time.

Exhibitman
06-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Thanks guy I am sure I will take you up on your offers at some point.

Andy Sandler
06-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I cannot wait! Since 1980 I have only missed less than a hand-full of Nationals! I look forward to seeing everyone!
Regards, Andy Sandler (845) 331-8610 andy@allsportsauctions.com

Frazier
06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Any details on the annual Net 54 dinner for 2014 in Cleveland?

Leon
06-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Any details on the annual Net 54 dinner for 2014 in Cleveland?

Not having one in Cleveland. Will probably resume next year in Chicago.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Not having one in Cleveland. Will probably resume next year in Chicago.

So where are we drinking? I heard Shernan30 is buying.

Jewish-collector
06-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Alex - We will be downtown. Come join us !!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Peter_Spaeth
06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
That emoticon has grown exponentially since its debut.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Alex - We will be downtown. Come join us !!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif

I will. How is the public transport in Cleveland?

Alexcards
06-21-2014, 06:01 AM
This will be my 5th National and my 3rd Cleveland National. I'll be bringing about 80 OJ and 60 T206 HOFers to sell... have to pay for 3 college tuitions :)
Alex Tymchuk (Alexcards) / Atlanta

novakjr
06-21-2014, 11:04 PM
My dad and I will be attending. It will be both of ours first National. Kinda excited:D

Northviewcats
06-22-2014, 06:54 AM
I plan to be there for a couple of days. Look forward to meeting many of the Net54 faithful.

Joe

whiteymet
07-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Just made some last minute plans to attend on Wednesday and Thursday.

I am an old head and more into postwar stuff now a days, so don't know most of you except for Leon, but look forward to possibly meeting others on the NET and putting names to faces and talking cards!

I am getting in to Cleveland VERY early Wednesday AM. Can't even get into my hotel room, so I have nothing to do early Wednesday. Any chance anyone has a dealer badge I could borrow for the day to get into the show before it is open to the public at four ? PM me if so. Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

AddieJoss
07-12-2014, 08:54 PM
I know Heritage is having a dinner/drinks/auction event Thursday. Does anyone know the other dinner events that are going on at the National?
Thanks,Cory

albrshbr
07-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I'll be there Wed-Sun and I'm bringing my nephew. Taking Sat off to go to the football HOF induction.

Kzoo
07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Myself, along with Andy G. and Bill from Detroit will be heading in on Tuesday afternoon to catch the Indians game that night. We'll probably be looking for something to do Wednesday morning/early afternoon, if anybody has any suggestions.

Matt

shernan30
07-13-2014, 01:04 PM
I'll be coming into town Friday mid-morning and staying thru Sunday. Hitting up the Indians game with my wife and another board member Saturday night. Can't wait to get back to Cleveland. Columbus is boring.

drcy
07-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I used to joke I'd go to the National when it was either in Seattle or Portland, but I'm going this time. Have an open mind about Cleveland. A friend says she likes Detroit when she goes there for work, so who knows-- and she works in and is a native of Manhattan. I liked Milwaukee when I visited and am a native to the Midwest. As a classical music fan, I can attest that the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra makes about every, if not every, world's best top ten list. Between that and the world famous Cleveland Clinic, the city obviously has something going for it.

I will be at Scott F's (Belltown Vintage Cards) table plan on 'certifying' photographs and related if anyone's interested. I went so far as buying a personalized embossment stamper just for the National. My first goal is to make back the money I paid for the stamper. I figure if I can do that, the sky's the limit.

CobbvLajoie1910
07-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I used to joke I'd go to the National when it was either in Seattle or Portland, but I'm going this time. Have an open mind about Cleveland. A friend says she likes Detroit when she goes there for work, so who knows-- and she works in and is a native of Manhattan. I liked Milwaukee when I visited and am a native to the Midwest. As a classical music fan, I can attest that the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra makes about every, if not every, world's best top ten list. Between that and the world famous Cleveland Clinic, the city obviously has something going for it.

I will be at Scott F's (Belltown Vintage Cards) table plan on 'certifying' photographs and related if anyone's interested. I went so far as buying a personalized embossment stamper just for the National. My first goal is to make back the money I paid for the stamper. I figure if I can do that, the sky's the limit.

Cleveland is a phenominal city, with a ton of grit & soul, David.

Spend an afternoon at the art mueseum -- it too is among the best in the world.

The crowd whining about begrudgingly going back to CLE probably didnt leave the 5-mi radius around the I-X center.

Its a fantastic city on many, many levels.

Can't wait to head up 71 in a few weeks! :)

drcy
07-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Minneapolis, Duluth and Marquette Michigan make my list of favorite cities I've visited, so I have no predilection against Midwestern cities.

Fred
07-13-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm about 50/50 - do I go to Hawaii (work scheduled at that time) or do I go to Cleveland? :eek: I'm actually a little conflicted here...

71buc
07-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Cleveland is a phenominal city, with a ton of grit & soul, David.

Spend an afternoon at the art mueseum -- it too is among the best in the world.

The crowd whining about begrudgingly going back to CLE probably didnt leave the 5-mi radius around the I-X center.

Its a fantastic city on many, many levels.

Can't wait to head up 71 in a few weeks! :)

My family is from Sharon PA so I have been to Cleveland numerous times. It's not Seattle but I like it nonetheless. The Rock and Roll HOF is interesting if you have time on your hands. I thought this would be my first National because it's in Cleveland but my son is marrying in six weeks and then starts law school two weeks later. My wallet has been lighter than ever.

CobbvLajoie1910
07-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Minneapolis, Duluth and Marquette Michigan make my list of favorite cities I've visited, so I have no predilection against Midwestern cities.

Just to be clear - my remarks weren't at all directed at you, DRC.

I can get a little defensive of the city -- esp in lieu of some of the virtual eye-rolling from board-members about Cleveland as a suitable host for the N'tl.

I hope your "open-minded(ness)" is justly rewarded. :)
(Start with a pint of Great Lakes "Lake Erie Monster", & its all downhill from there)

Too, hope you (and all n54 members trekking to Cleveland) have a great National !!

Tim Kindler
07-13-2014, 08:35 PM
I've posted in the past that the day, usually the Friday, I get to go to the National is like Christmas morning to me as a kid. I can't wait for it to get here, I count down the days, I can't sleep the night before, etc. My National day is one of my favorite days of the year. Once again, Jeff and I will be attending and look forward to seeing anyone we know from our Net 54 community. I look forward to putting names with faces again and look forward to relearning some whom I forgotten names. ( I suck at remembering names!, sorry) Bummed, but understand about no 54 Dinner this year, and bummed we won't get to hang out with the boys from Michigan (hi Andy, Bill, and Matt) since they are not going to be there on Friday when we attend and bummed to hear many might not attend (hi Mike, how's your Coupon collecting going?)
But I'm really looking forward to this year in hopes that it will inspire my next collecting passion. Ever since I completed the E98 Master Set, I haven't been into collecting much. Hopefully I will get excited over something new to collect! Look forward to seeing everybody.
Have a safe trip everyone!
Oh, The Christmas Story House is a great place to visit in Cleveland too.
Tim Kindler

Jewish-collector
07-13-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm one of the very few that actually enjoys when the National is in Cleveland. I actually prefer it over Chicago. Hotels, food, etc,... are all less expensive than Chicago. It is very easy to get around in the city by car or the subway train. There are a lot more tourists attractions than people think and the city has a lot of really nice restaurants, bars, and clubs.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Tim Kindler
07-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Alan,
I couldn't agree with you more! Going to Cleveland is a very relaxing trip compared to Chicago for me at least. I love yhe National when it is in Cleveland. Look forward to meeting you and others again this year.
Tim Kindler

edhans
07-14-2014, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=CobbvLajoie1910;1297553](Start with a pint of Great Lakes "Lake Erie Monster", & its all downhill from there)
QUOTE]

Got a growler of that in the fridge right now. Like everything else they brew, it's first rate. Can't wait to get home tonight.

edhans
07-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I'll be there Wed-Sun and I'm bringing my nephew. Taking Sat off to go to the football HOF induction.

Bruce,
Since you missed the last two Buffalo shows, you'd better stop by booth 1425/1524!

Fred
07-14-2014, 10:43 AM
I actually like Cleveland as the site for the Nat'l.

albrshbr
07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Bruce,
Since you missed the last two Buffalo shows, you'd better stop by booth 1425/1524!

You're at the top of my list! Hope you've got some T205's for me.

It's actually been 3 shows I've missed. Had some surgeries and relapses, but now I'm good to go. I really tried to make the last one, it just didn't work out.

Looking forward to seeing you and Gary.

jp1216
07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
I'll be there Friday 8/1 and hopefully 8/2 as well! Can't wait. My 8 year-old is even excited. His first. Browns training camp is less than 2 miles away too. Preregistration is required (free) from the Browns. Great time for Cleveland sports - LeBron, Johnny and the National.

timn1
07-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Mike Peich and I will be there (sharing table 1820 with Scott Forrest and David Rudd) with some good stuff from our own collections to sell- stop by and say hi-

Tim

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-14-2014, 09:50 PM
I'll be coming into town Friday mid-morning and staying thru Sunday. Hitting up the Indians game with my wife and another board member Saturday night. Can't wait to get back to Cleveland. Columbus is boring.

Didn't you volunteer to buy everyone from the board a round?

mrvster
07-15-2014, 06:36 AM
in 2016 :) see you all there Godwilling.....:)

jimivintage
07-15-2014, 02:30 PM
I'll be there Friday and Saturday with my Net54 buddy (and childhood buddy) Bryan Long. Haven't been to one since 2007. Looking forward to throwing money away! :)

CurtisFlood
07-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I'll be there, always a good time.

drcy
07-15-2014, 02:47 PM
I'll be there Friday and Saturday with my Net54 buddy (and childhood buddy) Bryan Long. Haven't been to one since 2007. Looking forward to throwing money away! :)

For anyone wanting to throw away their money, I will have a bushel basket at my table and a garbage bag when that's filled.

sebie43
07-19-2014, 06:56 AM
I will be there on Friday for my first National, I look forward to meeting some of you.

Leon
07-19-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm about 50/50 - do I go to Hawaii (work scheduled at that time) or do I go to Cleveland? :eek: I'm actually a little conflicted here...

Hawaii is awesome but it will still be there. The National is the place for card addicts to congregate. Come join us if you can!!

BruceWayne
07-20-2014, 01:27 AM
I will be at the National the entire time (Tuesday thru Saturday) at the Goldin Auctions booth. A few quick things:

1) I consider my role at Goldin (or anywhere for that matter) as an opportunity to serve others. That said, if there is anyway I can assist anyone here in any way please let me know. That includes helping you even if you are not doing business with us.

2) While many of you know my past experience had a high degree of focus on game used memorabilia, I have been doing more recently with trading cards and autographed memorabilia. As such, although I don't post on here often, I enjoy reading some of your posts and would love to chat about cards at the National with anyone interested.

3) I was very happy to see LeBron coming back to Cleveland. I hope with LeBron, and the supporting cast they are assembling, the team can bring much needed enthusiasm (at least for sports) to a city that needs it. Also, I figure any city that names their basketball team the "Cavaliers" can't be all bad :)

Looking forward to seeing some of you there!

Sincerely,
Chris

obcbobd
07-21-2014, 12:01 PM
For those of you with more Cleveland knowledge than me - what is the best way to get to/from the convention center to downtown Cleveland?

thanks

Bob

PM770
07-21-2014, 12:52 PM
For those of you with more Cleveland knowledge than me - what is the best way to get to/from the convention center to downtown Cleveland?

thanks

Bob

I-71 North. The IX Center is right by an entrance ramp for 71. This will take you right into downtown Cleveland.

Where are you going downtown and I can maybe give you more specific directions.

boysblue
07-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Paul

Can you "guesstimate" how much cab fare would be from a hotel near the IX Center to Progressive Field? And would finding a taxi post-game be at all problematic?

Thank you

Sean1125
07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Paul

Can you "guesstimate" how much cab fare would be from a hotel near the IX Center to Progressive Field? And would finding a taxi post-game be at all problematic?

Thank you

If it's anything like LA rates it would be roughly $50-$60.

obcbobd
07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
I-71 North. The IX Center is right by an entrance ramp for 71. This will take you right into downtown Cleveland.

Where are you going downtown and I can maybe give you more specific directions.

Sorry, I should have mentioned via public transportation as I will be without a car.

thanks

Bob

PM770
07-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Paul

Thank you

Sean's probably right, about 50 bucks one way.

There is a commuter train that makes a stop in the airport and goes downtown (costs $2-3 1way). I would suggest that. IX Center i right next to the airport.

PM770
07-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned via public transportation as I will be without a car.

thanks

Bob

The Rapid located in the Airport - $2-3 1way. Drops you off in Tower City, next to the casino, a short walk to Jacobs Field.

obcbobd
07-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Sean's probably right, about 50 bucks one way.

There is a commuter train that makes a stop in the airport and goes downtown (costs $2-3 1way). I would suggest that. IX Center i right next to the airport.

Could I Then easily get from the airport to the Convention Center?

thanks

Bob

Jewish-collector
07-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Bob - See if your hotel shuttle can take you to one of the commuter train stops, if not directly downtown.

BruceinGa
07-23-2014, 03:07 PM
I've had a change of plans and won't be attending the National. I hope everyone has a great time!

CW
07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks, Bruce! Hopefully you can make it next year.

I'll be stopping by SGC's booth to have some cards reholdered, as well as perusing the floor to meet some friends and check out some cards. I think I have everything in order....

Backpack? Check!

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderscf/cw/misc/Copy%20of%20new-aa1.jpg

Comfortable shoes? Check!

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderscf/cw/misc/Copy%20of%20new-sdsd1.jpg

Card for SGC to reholder? Check!

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderscf/cw/misc/Copy%20of%20IMG_0001.jpg

New custom t-shirt made just for the National? Check! :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderscf/cw/misc/Copy%20of%20Pic-07232014-005.jpg

Safe travels, everyone, and see you there!

atx840
07-23-2014, 08:10 PM
oooooh, i dig that shirt :D

timn1
07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Speaker!

CW
07-23-2014, 09:07 PM
haha! Thanks, guys. :)

GaryPassamonte
07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Will be there Thur-Sat.

Runscott
07-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Speaker!

Tim - feel free to mention where you will be.

Gary - stop by and see us. I will have a pretty cool baseball cdv at our table-1820 :)

GaryPassamonte
07-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Scott- I'll be there.