PDA

View Full Version : Storage of Graded Cards -- Advice?

JakeStahl'sGloveSHows
06-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Anyone figured out a storage setup that really works for you? Recent research has provided three options:

http://www.pennzonidisplay.com/glossycherrystoragecaseforbaseballcardscherry.aspx

http://www.cardcasepro.com/graded-sports-card-case.php

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=888639

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on any of these?
Do you have any other suggestions?

I know there are variables; I won't be travelling with the cards. I want something that can provide repeatable storage (multiple units). I also want something that will hold up over time.

Thanks for your input.

Leon
06-02-2014, 07:34 AM
I don't have any of those or experience with them. I keep mine in regular 250 count or 500 count cardboard card boxes. I say do whatever is easiest for you and don't spend a ton. You very well might change your thinking in the future. I have.

ZachS
06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Whatever way you decide to go keep in mind that SGC slabs are slightly larger than PSA and Beckett. I have some of the black cardboard storage boxes that were made by different companies. Some of them are wide enough for SGC slabs and some are not.

bsuttonosu
06-02-2014, 11:07 AM
I recommend BCW Super Vault Storage Boxes. Relatively cheap. Fits any standard size graded card. I also use them for the large size semi-rigid holders. Easy to mix and match graded, semi-rigid, toploaders, etc., in the same box. Fit neatly on the shelf and you can easily label the outside of the box however you want.

I think BCW also makes a graded "shoe box" that is two rows with a lid, but I've never used that one. Something about the single rows that I like with the vault boxes.

clydepepper
06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I would recommend a fire-proof safe. When I think of what can harm cardboard and plastic, the first thing I think of is fire.

I keep 72 (all that will fit: 61 PSA & 11 SGC) highest dollar graded cards in my Sentry safe, about 700 post-war, pre-standard sized cards in a locked wooden Dakota safe - taking a little chance with the fire threat, but at least they are fairly well secured.

Still another wooden box (no lock ) contains 500 pre-standard cards (1956 set and 160 of 1955 set).

I have 14 binders containing my Topps 1957-1976 years and everything else is in regular cardboard storage boxes, usually 900 or 5000 each.

I don't have any floods or hurricanes where I live, but heat can bring fire, so be careful out there.

glchen
06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I recommend BCW Super Vault Storage Boxes. Relatively cheap. Fits any standard size graded card. I also use them for the large size semi-rigid holders. Easy to mix and match graded, semi-rigid, toploaders, etc., in the same box. Fit neatly on the shelf and you can easily label the outside of the box however you want.

This is what I do also. You can buy these relatively cheaply off ebay if you buy in quantity.

pcoz
06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
I have one of the card vault cases(3rd one you listed) and it's a tank of a storage box. They're not cheap, but it's really well made and durable. Heavy too.

calvindog
06-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Try Box Factory: these are the same as the MJ Roop graded card storage boxes.

http://aboxfactory.com/index.php/collectors/psa.html

MikeU
06-02-2014, 02:03 PM

I think BCW also makes a graded "shoe box" that is two rows with a lid, but I've never used that one. Something about the single rows that I like with the vault boxes.

+1. Cheap, tidy and safe. Save money for more cards.

the 'stache
06-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Try Box Factory: these are the same as the MJ Roop graded card storage boxes.

http://aboxfactory.com/index.php/collectors/psa.html

^^ This

I use their black chipwood boxes to store both my graded cards, and my Bowman Chrome prospect collection, which are kept in one touch magnet cases. The boxes make for a pretty elegant way of storing your collection out in the open. And, they're nicely constructed. However, for somebody looking to use these boxes for transporting cards to a show and back, I'd go with the wood boxes.

the 'stache
06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
The only thing that worries me about a home safe is not the fire, which any safe can protect from, but the heat. Most safes don't keep the internal temperature of a safe cool enough inside. The plastic slabs can melt all over the cards, ruining them. The only answer I've found is a true media safe. But these safes are pretty expensive.

I would recommend a fire-proof safe. When I think of what can harm cardboard and plastic, the first thing I think of is fire.

I keep 72 (all that will fit: 61 PSA & 11 SGC) highest dollar graded cards in my Sentry safe, about 700 post-war, pre-standard sized cards in a locked wooden Dakota safe - taking a little chance with the fire threat, but at least they are fairly well secured.

Still another wooden box (no lock ) contains 500 pre-standard cards (1956 set and 160 of 1955 set).

I have 14 binders containing my Topps 1957-1976 years and everything else is in regular cardboard storage boxes, usually 900 or 5000 each.

I don't have any floods or hurricanes where I live, but heat can bring fire, so be careful out there.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Bill - I never thought of the internal heat of a safe until you just pointed it out. I will have to reconsider my strategy.

bbcard1
06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Proper storage of graded cards requires a pair of needle nosed pliers and a screwdriver. Once liberated, put them in a top load. Dispose of case. Put in standard topload storage box.

shaunsteig
06-03-2014, 11:14 AM
^^ This

I use their black chipwood boxes to store both my graded cards, and my Bowman Chrome prospect collection, which are kept in one touch magnet cases. The boxes make for a pretty elegant way of storing your collection out in the open. And, they're nicely constructed. However, for somebody looking to use these boxes for transporting cards to a show and back, I'd go with the wood boxes.

+1. Also use the CaseCardPro boxes. Like them both. The latter is a little sturdier, and having two handles on the sides makes easier to lift / move box without rotating it (ie cards maintain same orientation throughout).

Have found both boxes were sized ideally for PSAs, and SGCs wind up a little snug.

--S

drazz5
06-12-2014, 06:34 PM
The card vault was way to expensive for my budget, so I decided instead to buy my own Pelican case with the pick n pluck foam. I picked out 3 rows and it works great form my sgc cards. It was very easy to do and saved me a ton of money.

christopher.herman
06-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Ammo box works surprising well. No bull.