PDA

View Full Version : What's up here: DiMaggio Listed as #3 and #9 on 1936 Scorecard?

VintageBall
06-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

I just picked this up at a flea market today. It's a 1936 scorecard from a Yankees-Browns game in St. Louis. The Yankees played there in May and DiMaggio did, indeed, bat third in the lineup.

However, he is listed as wearing uniform #3 in one place (in the lineup) and #9 in another (the roster beneath it). Please see the pics below. I know that in 1936 he wore #9, before getting #5 either late in the year or in 1937.

Crosetti, Selkirk and Powell also are listed with two different numbers each. Rolfe, Gehrig and Dickey, meanwhile, have the correct numbers in both places!

Just a messed up job at the printer? Thoughts? Would I do better to post on the memorabilia side?

Thanks,

Robert S

http://www.vintageball.com/1936-browns-yanks-scorecard_re.jpg

http://www.vintageball.com/1936-Browns-Yanks-Scorecard-Lineup_re.jpg

Batter67up
06-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Number on left is batting order and number on right
Is their jersey number.

VintageBall
06-01-2014, 07:27 PM
You are correct about the roster, Steve. But the lineup is the thing that is screwed up (it goes 1,2,3,4,8,6,5). The numbers are NOT in numerical order, NOR are they completely reflective of correct uniform numbers.

And why is Kleinhans listed as 112 in the roster, wearing number 25? And NOBODY is listed 10th or 13th in the roster.

What am I missing here, or was somebody drunk when typesetting?

johnmh71
06-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Every time I see one of these, it makes me wish that I could go back and score it in person.

arc2q
06-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I am speculating but it seems at the time that player numbers were relatively dynamic. Multiple players on a team might wear the same number over the course of a season. The Yankees wore sequential numbers 1 through 28 (skipping 13 and 23). Every player in the organization was separately assigned an organizational number that stayed with them regardless of which number they wore on their uniform (since at the time players always wore 1-28 even though more than 40 might play on the team in the course of a year) that may or may not equate to his uniform number. The key at the bottom translates each organizational number to his uniform number. This would explain why some of the lesser players have high numbers.

I repeat, though, I am not sure. Just a guess.